Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-28-2016, 12:36 AM   #1
Gelugon

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Vert
Brake pads

Okay, i know this has been covered, but i cant find the thread. What do you recommend for brake pads other than oem. I dont track my car its a daily driver. I was looking at hawk, just would like some input on performance, and brake dust.

Gelugon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:23 AM   #2
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
I have been running Hawk Ceramic for the last 40k miles. A WHOLE LOT less brake dust than OEM, and they do great with spirited driving. Slows the car well in the 1/4 mile too. No issues with squeaking or other brake noises. I have a new set for the front sitting in the garage waiting for me to get an opportunity to install them.

If you really need them to grab hard and stop the car, they will. I can put my passengers face into the dash if I wanted. They would never see it coming either...lol.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:40 AM   #3
Eddiefuzz

Drives: 2011 RS
I put Akebono ASP1001 and ASP1053 on my car about a month ago. Great stopping, zero dust. I haven't had to wipe the calipers off yet. Daily driver, no problems here. Let the bashing begin.
Eddiefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:52 AM   #4
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
No matter what, go with ceramic: I replaced my OEMs a while back with some "higher end," but non- ceramic pads. The dust they created had me wiping the wheels down every 30 miles or so (it was enough dust to be highly visible after 30 miles of normal driving). And, the stopping distance was extended... there was a "softer" feel, less of a bite... took me longer to stop, and brake fade kicked in a lot sooner than with the OEMs.

After two weeks of this (I was hoping that maybe these just needed to be seated or cured or something), I pulled those damn things off, replaced them with ceramic. Now the car stops on a dime, and brake dust is a non- issue. I don't see it, at all, ever. Even when I work the crap out of the brakes, and don't wash the car for a few days, there isn't even a hint of brake dust.

Get ceramic. Don't get metallic or semi- metallic or plasma or diamond or anything other than ceramic.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:22 AM   #5
SnowyCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Chevy Equinox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiefuzz View Post
I put Akebono ASP1001 and ASP1053 on my car about a month ago. Great stopping, zero dust. I haven't had to wipe the calipers off yet. Daily driver, no problems here. Let the bashing begin.
I bought hawk first on my v6 based off many reviews. For the money I was not impressed. Didn't come with shims, fit poorly and rattled. Ended up taking them off the car and replacing with akebono (which I usually use on most my vehicles). I have always recommended akebono ceramic and centric posi quiet for daily drivers. Quiet, easy to install and cheaper than others, plus widely available through multiple distributors.

Many have had good luck with hawk on this site. But I wasn't impressed with their product or service department. Can get many other pads that will work for daily driving for a better price.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:53 PM   #6
14Black1LESS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
I put Hawk pads on mine. Loved them when I had them on my Vette and love them on my Camaro.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:52 PM   #7
Mando2776

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowyCamaro View Post
I bought hawk first on my v6 based off many reviews. For the money I was not impressed. Didn't come with shims, fit poorly and rattled. Ended up taking them off the car and replacing with akebono (which I usually use on most my vehicles). I have always recommended akebono ceramic and centric posi quiet for daily drivers. Quiet, easy to install and cheaper than others, plus widely available through multiple distributors.

Many have had good luck with hawk on this site. But I wasn't impressed with their product or service department. Can get many other pads that will work for daily driving for a better price.
I added akebono ceramics on my SS, with new slotted, drilled rotors. They won’t stop squeaking at every stop. Zero brake dust, is the only good thing about akebono. Wanted to try ebc redstuff, but ended up ordering hawk ceramic.
have yet to install.
Mando2776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:12 PM   #8
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
My brakes were squeling like carzy.....I changed them out at the start of the summer...went to my local parts store and all they carry for my car are semi metallic front with ceramic rears. Did the change and have had zero issue . No noise at all with great stopping power. I was told ceramic fronts on theses cars harden with the stock rotors causing alot of noise.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:21 AM   #9
Caseyls3

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando2776 View Post
I added akebono ceramics on my SS, with new slotted, drilled rotors. They won’t stop squeaking at every stop. Zero brake dust, is the only good thing about akebono. Wanted to try ebc redstuff, but ended up ordering hawk ceramic.
have yet to install.
Same here - they squeal relentlessly

2011 Camaro SS/RS Vert - Jewel Red Tintcoat, 6M, 231/247 Comp Cam, Kooks headers, Borla ATAK, ATI under drive pulley, Richmond 4.10s, LS9 clutch, Hurst shifter, BMR Springs
Caseyls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:14 PM   #10
Mando2776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseyls3 View Post
Same here - they squeal relentlessly
are u keeping yours or changing them? If hawk ceramics don’t work, I’ll be leaning towards hawk street 5.0 pads, and just deal with the brake dust. From what I’ve heard on reviews it should be less dust than the stock pads.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:08 PM   #11
naikaidriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I have Hawk HPS pads on mine and StopTech before that. I do Track Days about once a month so I'm willing to live with a little noise.

The StopTechs were loud, dusty and started fading 15 minutes deep into a 20 minute session. I replaced them with the Hawks after one Track Day and threw them in the garbage.

When I first installed the Hawks, they immediately felt better, more bite, less dust and surprisingly, no noise at all. My first time out to the track, they performed lap after lap consistently with zero fade. However, my time at the track burned my pad grease to dust so my fronts have been pretty noisy since when coming to a slow stop. Oh wait, did I say "pretty noisy?", I meant they squeal so loud that people in cars next to me grit their teeth.

I still love the Hawks, just need to re-grease them.

Scott
Diablo T1000 with Phastek custom tune, K&N Intake, Hurst Short-Throw Shifter, Flowmaster, Outlaw II Exhaust, BMR 1" Lowering Springs, BMR 3-way Adjustable Anti-Roll Bars, BMR End Links and Reinforcement Brackets, BMR Trailing Arms, ZL1 wheels, Nitto NT555 G2 Tires, Z28-style Rear Spoiler, Hawk Plus Brake Pads, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid
naikaidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 04:49 PM   #12
Rockamakis

Drives: 2013 BRM 2SS/RS,
I'm looking at getting the Z26 Street Warrior performance upgrade kit.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....nid=417&jpid=9
Rockamakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 05:05 PM   #13
smarbrit

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockamakis View Post
I'm looking at getting the Z26 Street Warrior performance upgrade kit.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....nid=417&jpid=9
I just ordered the same upgrade kit today.
smarbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 04:16 PM   #14
Mando2776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando2776 View Post
have yet to install.
Just installed the new Hawk ceramics PC front axle. Zero Noise so far, no dust visible
Followed proper burnishing procedure of pads.