Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #1
montyhp

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Red Jewel w/Beige
Interior Quality

I have owned my 2LT/RS for about 3 months now, and I have been reading this board for about 6. I read over and over again that the interior quality is cheap, but no specifics. Let's be specific...

Granted, the trim ring around the gauges looks a bit cheap. Maybe someone can come up with an aftermarket trim ring.

Other than that, I don't think it is bad. I do have the gauge package in front of the center console. It is a bit oddly placed, but not really cheap looking.

The plastic panels in the doors and the strip across the front of the dash is shiny plastic, but I think it looks good. I guess you could replace with something leather like, but I am not sure that would look any better.

So what do y'all think?
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:13 PM   #2
Cam2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I don't get it either. If the interior was cheap I would have never bought the car. I like it just fine. Looks good, is solid, and easy to maintain.
Cam2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
Black Lightning

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam2011 View Post
I don't get it either. If the interior was cheap I would have never bought the car. I like it just fine. Looks good, is solid, and easy to maintain.
Agree on all of this. I like the interior a lot.

Red hood spears; Corsa cat-back exhaust; Roto-fab intake; Engine bay black/red theme; Black outs including both bowties, tail lights, tail light bezels, and side lamps; gill stripes; 35% window tints; Side SS badges; Hurst-equipped badge.
Black Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
aron77

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Yeah i dont get the complaint either. Is fine to me.
Mods to date: Black ice-olator, Vmax ported throttle body, doug thorley cat back exhaust, cold air inductions intake, rx catch can, vn 805 18" rims, tinted windows-20% in back and 35% in front, SS front bumper,RK sport spoiler painted gloss black, hood spears, gill inserts, trunk blackout, and bowtie blackouts with autobot. Wish list: GM cup and footwell lighting, t2 or t3 bumper (f that price), fender dashes, and...
aron77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:25 PM   #5
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
I personally like the interior.

Only issue I have is the tight lower dash angle with the windshield, and rear glass. Makes it hard to clean.
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:29 PM   #6
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
I personally like the interior.

Only issue I have is the tight lower dash angle with the windshield, and rear glass. Makes it hard to clean.
detailing my interior it was very difficult to get the back. But I actually love the look of the grey/silver panels in my dash. I just loved them when I took delivery of the car. And when I found out about the abl in the dash I was just dumbfounded
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #7
SynergyMike

Drives: 2012 2SS Synergy Edition, 1979 Z-28
Sure, lots of plastic on the inside of our cars, but I think build quality is the best I've seen in any Chevy I've ever owned to date. If I could have GM improve on something from the interior it would be:
- Shifter bezel
- Seat belt strap
- Buttons on the steering wheel

Oh, and it is really a pain to clean the bottom portion of the rear glass (interior side) - not a quality issue, just design issue..

Overall though, my biggest pet peeves are squeaks, rattles, and wind noise which I have none of in this car!

2012 Ashen Gray 2SS/RS Synergy Camaro
All stock (so far..)

1979 Camaro Z-28
Sub-frame off resto-mod, Holley Avenger EFI, 355 roller-cammed small-block, TH-400, Flowmaster exhaust
SynergyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:34 PM   #8
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Maybe those people came from German cars. I know that the Camaro is a few notches down compared to my 9 year old VW GTI.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #9
5cents
Dave

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS - Black/CGM Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by montyhp View Post
The plastic panels in the doors and the strip across the front of the dash is shiny plastic, but I think it looks good. I guess you could replace with something leather like, but I am not sure that would look any better. So what do y'all think?
I HATE the shiney plastic door panels, I haven't had it happen yet, but I can see those panels getting scratched and how horrible that would look. I would rather have leather, or fabric (depending upon your seating material). But that's just my opinion.
Attached Images

5cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:00 AM   #10
linc400

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th anniversary convert
There is a big hump above the door sill plate. It is hard plastic and constantly getting scuffed. On every other car I have owned, this area was carpeted. Our carpet is pretty cheap too.

Too much hard plastic on door panels, console, etc. This stuff is going to be loaded with scratches in a few years. Even if it was covered with vinyl, that would be a big improvement.

All of the trim is just grey plastic. It should be chrome, stainless or aluminum. Even chrome plated plastic would be a big improvement. Even the Cruze I had as a loaner had more chrome trim on the interior.

Cheap sun visors, again the Cruze has better ones.

Also I wish the guages were on the dash instead of the console. This would allow better viewing of them, and allow for the gear shift and cupholders to be moved forward so the armrest and storage compartment could be bigger. My sunglasses case, garage door opener, and microfiber cloth are in there and the thing is full. No room for a couple CD's, mini dash duster, etc. that I used to keep in my other car. Glove box is big, but not as easily accessible. And I can have only a little more than my elbow on the armrest. I'm used to it extending further.
linc400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:20 AM   #11
v6

Drives: 2012 45th 2LT RS
get a 2012, they look much better on the inside i think
Old 05-24-2012, 01:25 AM   #12
mikeinmobile

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
These are the same materials they've been making interiors out of for years. If you've got kids, or careless friends/spouses I'm sure it'll be like any car eventually. With good care and quality products applied regularly I'd imagine it'll hold up well enough. As far as style and function I love it. Don't care for the lock button but dig the leather, lighting and comfort. Wish I had paddles!
Old 05-24-2012, 05:05 AM   #13
StangKiller-SS

Drives: GM products
I think the Camaro's interior is 100% great. I don't expect to get a Mercede's or Lexus interior. It's heck of a lot better than what Ford offers with their Power Wheels quality materials (I know this because I work on new Ford's all the time), and it is the best interior I've ever seen in a GM car.
StangKiller-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:02 AM   #14
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by linc400 View Post
All of the trim is just grey plastic. It should be chrome, stainless or aluminum. Even chrome plated plastic would be a big improvement. Even the Cruze I had as a loaner had more chrome trim on the interior.

Gross. Chrome is tacky and played out. Plus it obnoxiously reflects sun all up in your face.

A Camaro is still a muscle car. They were built on the premise of speed and performance on a budget. I think the interior keeps with the tradition, while incorporating modern conveniences.

If you want something more comfortable and pleasant, get a BMW, Audi, Infiniti, or Mercedes.
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote