Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-24-2016, 04:19 PM   #1
Camaro117

Drives: Yellow 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Curb damaged my wheel and tire... Help

So today while i was pulling into the parking lot at work (we just moved to a new location) I didnt see a curb they had put in the parking lot since im not used to the layout yet and well i went right over the top of it and came off of it and it jarred the car pretty good. At that point I just knew I had wrecked it. I knew my bummper and paint was all tore up. But I got out and actually was surprised that my paint was good, bummper was good. However my wheel and tire took a beating. I got out and found this.. Ive been sick at my stomach since. Yea coulda been worse coulda tore my bumper off. But still i try so hard to baby my camaro just like the rest of you do on here and ugh The wheel chip isnt terrible honestly the plasti dip prob saved it some and I can cover it up with more plasti dip until I buy a new one. But what about my tire? Should I be worried? It doesnt seem to be loosing air so thats good but it look bad, so what should i do? Also where is the best and cheapest place to order a new OEM wheel? Help me out guys!
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2016, 04:26 PM   #2
lkurek

Drives: 2015 CAMARO
Sidewall damage on a heavy performance vehicle....do NOT drive on it. I'd get a new route immediately. You can probably pick one up at tire rack.....

Glad it wasn't worse
lkurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 04:27 PM   #3
SlowSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
The tire is probably going to have to be replaced. As for the wheel, no need to buy a new one. There are companies all over that specialize in wheel repair and is probably a fraction of the cost of a new wheel.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:16 AM   #4
rdanzel

Drives: 2010
Get new set of tires. Don't compromise safety.
rdanzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:17 AM   #5
steakmaker

Drives: '10 Camaro SS,Jeep Commander Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkurek View Post
Sidewall damage on a heavy performance vehicle....do NOT drive on it. I'd get a new route immediately. You can probably pick one up at tire rack.....

Glad it wasn't worse
I messed up my rim & tire turning too short into a driveway with new granite curbs that were super sharp on the edges. I was pissed at myself. I had my wheel repaired at the wheel doctor for $125 and bought a new tire from Tire Direct, they sent it right to The Wheel Doctor. The wheel looked new and I saved some coin too. Eventually I bought custom wheels but not because of the wheel repair.
steakmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:15 PM   #6
HAMBO

Drives: Supercharged 2013 AGM 2SS/RS
Sorry to hear. There are often stock wheels and tires for sale here on the forums (member marketplace, or local marketplace). Would check those out before ordering elsewhere.
SLP TVS2300, Edge CAI, 3" Magnaflow catback, BC Racing BR series coilovers, HRE FF15's (20x10 square) with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's, GM STB, BMR front and rear sway bars and toe links, Prothane subframe bushings and front control arm inserts, JDP rear upper control arm bushings, Elite Engineering catch can. Tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
1967 Bolero Red 396 SS/RS Convertible
HAMBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:00 PM   #7
Camaro117

Drives: Yellow 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Sorry guys ive been at work, shew ivenot been able to focus on anything other than my baby. I want it fixed lol. I have a few questions.. so one, when I bought my care I got the extened warranty and some extras, one extra was the All State wheel and tire protection, anyone else have this or had experience, its suppose to cover wheels and tires from road hazards, do you guys think theyd cover this? two say i got a new tire, would that mess me all up since one these cars have staggered setups, so the front two are the same so would me having one old tire on the front and one new tire up front throw me off? cause then id have to keep up how much tread the old one has and all that jazz. (I have 16k miles on my car) and two, so whatever happens I want a new wheel, it will drive me insane these are technically new wheels as a few months ago when I still had the factory warranty I had spots on all my wheels so they replaced them with new ones. But whats the part # for these wheels? They arent the shiny chrome ones, I guess theyre the midnight silver ones? And would gmpartsdirect be the best place to get a new wheel? or what? Ive looked on ebay and alot of what they have are used with some curb damage as well...
Old 08-01-2016, 11:13 AM   #8
BeastMode

Drives: 2011 SGM 1SS/RS M6
Assuming you are on your original P-Zeros, they are probably getting fairly close to the wear bars at 16k. Get a tread depth measuring tool and check how worn they are. In most states legal is about 2/32 tread depth.

Getting a new wheel is probably a complete waste of money, especially going through GM you are going to pay through the nose. Go with a wheel repair, you wont even be able to tell and it will be a fraction of the price.

If you really want to ditch the wheel, I would check the classifieds on the forum, someone may be willing to sell you a wheel with a tire still on it, or at least a good wheel.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:56 PM   #9
CCMADONNA

Drives: 2014 SW 2SS/RS
there are companies that will come out to you and fix that wheel for $100 - $125.
but, srsly, you need a new tire, that one is not safe.

2014 2SS/RS VERT L99
SUMMIT WHITE
AIRAID CAI
BORLA ATAK CAT-BACK EXHAUST
ELITE ENGINEERING CATCH-CAN
RANGE AFM-DELETE MODULE
HUPER OPTIK 40
CHROME PEDALS
PREMIUM FLOOR MATS
PREMIUM CARGO MAT
DEDICATED 32GB iPHONE HD
[/I][/B][IMG][/IMG]
CCMADONNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:17 PM   #10
pinoyplaya

Drives: '13 SS RS
I might be parting ways of my 2013 SS stock wheels. If you are interested let me know. You live kinda far though so shipping might kill it.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:48 PM   #11
mma

Drives: 1LE
fix the wheel.. don't buy a new one.. waste of money, you can def fix that ~100 and not notice a thing!

as for the tires, check how much tread you have left on the good side, maybe you can buy a new set of fronts and save the good front in case anything happens again, you can swap w/o buying a new one worst case scenario

i'll be surprised if your tread is good on those stock PZs at 16k, might be time anyway
mma is offline   Reply With Quote