Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-18-2017, 07:47 AM   #1
Algeron

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible, 1998 Z28
A8 Transmission Issue

Like some of the other posts, I was also feeling a shudder while driving at times. I took the car in, and was told that the torque converter needed to be replaced.

After replacement, the shudder went away. However, I have had 2 incidents where the car will stop moving under heavier than normal acceleration (I do not baby the car, and heavy acceleration is common when I can). The second time happened last night while merging on I-95. I have spoken to the dealer, and they are not seeing any codes in the car. In both incidents, it feels like the transmission gets slammed in to neutral. The engine will rev, the shifter is in drive, but the car will not move. Shifting to N then back to D did not re-engage the transmission, but after about 8-15 seconds, it started moving normally again. The first time it happened, I pulled out from a parking lot and it went out of gear around 40-50 mph. This time, I was on the on ramp and it went out around 60 mph.

I cannot duplicate this behavior on demand, and with no codes, the dealer is currently at a loss.

Has anyone else experienced this? My car is an SS with the A8 transmission.

On a side note, what should the transmission temperature be when driving? I have noticed that the temp will increase while sitting still, but after driving on the interstate for 2 hours, it stays at the lowest temp on the gauge. The dealer said this is normal behavior. I am just not used to seeing a temp that low after driving for an extended time.

(This was taken by my passenger)

Last edited by Algeron; 12-18-2017 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Add transmission temp image
Algeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:52 AM   #2
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
An intermittent issue like that kind of suggests something isn’t put together right and mechanical issues won’t show up in the codes, only electronic issues.

Your dealer needs to do a thorough inspection of everything they worked on when they replaced your tq converter.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:07 AM   #3
Algeron

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
An intermittent issue like that kind of suggests something isn’t put together right and mechanical issues won’t show up in the codes, only electronic issues.

Your dealer needs to do a thorough inspection of everything they worked on when they replaced your tq converter.
I was thinking something like this or a possible software issue. The dealer is researching bulletins today to look for anything similar, and will get back to me today.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:23 AM   #4
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
I don't have an automatic so I don't know exactly what temperature the transmission should be operating at, but I know these cars are all very well cooled. If you're driving normally I don't think the trans temp would rise very much. At 75 you're only turning about 1800 rpm in 8th. That's barely awake for that transmission lol.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:47 AM   #5
RollaMo

Drives: 2017 2SS
Yeah, the transmission temp is normal for just cruising down the interstate like that.

You have to work the car pretty good to see that temp gauge move much.
2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
RollaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:49 AM   #6
Algeron

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
I don't have an automatic so I don't know exactly what temperature the transmission should be operating at, but I know these cars are all very well cooled. If you're driving normally I don't think the trans temp would rise very much. At 75 you're only turning about 1800 rpm in 8th. That's barely awake for that transmission lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
Yeah, the transmission temp is normal for just cruising down the interstate like that.

You have to work the car pretty good to see that temp gauge move much.

That was more or less what the tech said. Just wanted a confirmation from someone other than a dealer. BTW - only 75 at that point.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:08 AM   #7
killervette666

Drives: 1979 Corvette
I've had this happen to my 2017 1SS multiple times. I would be stopped or going fairly low speed and when I mash on the pedal the engine would just rev up but car wouldn't accelerate until the trans finally "kicked down" into the right gear. Very very annoying. I feel like sports mode remedies the situation somewhat and I had it happen less. Dealership has done the trans flush and looked at the A8 multiple times and weren't able to find anything wrong. I think it's the really bad GM trans tune that these cars come with, either that or faulty speed sensors which I've heard we're maybe bad in some of the early A8s. I'm thinking of getting the ZL1 or trading in for a 2019 just to get out of the A8 and into the A10, great car but a terrible transmission as it is setup stock
killervette666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:30 AM   #8
Algeron

Quote:
Originally Posted by killervette666 View Post
I've had this happen to my 2017 1SS multiple times. I would be stopped or going fairly low speed and when I mash on the pedal the engine would just rev up but car wouldn't accelerate until the trans finally "kicked down" into the right gear. Very very annoying. I feel like sports mode remedies the situation somewhat and I had it happen less. Dealership has done the trans flush and looked at the A8 multiple times and weren't able to find anything wrong. I think it's the really bad GM trans tune that these cars come with, either that or faulty speed sensors which I've heard we're maybe bad in some of the early A8s. I'm thinking of getting the ZL1 or trading in for a 2019 just to get out of the A8 and into the A10, great car but a terrible transmission as it is setup stock
With mine, the car is already accelerating, then it feels like it kicks out of gear completely. Last night, it was about 6-8 seconds of nothing but engine revs while hitting the gas pedal, and was almost rear ended in the process.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:12 AM   #9
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Sounds mechanical to me...I had to have my transmission practically rebuilt back in May. My car did the same thing until one day the transmission stopped going into any gear, forward or reverse. Luckily it fully stopped working right after I pulled my car into the dealers garage! Still not perfect, rough shifts from time to time and when it sits out in the cold for a few hours, shifting from Park to drive is rough and jerks if I move the shifter into Drive too fast.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:19 AM   #10
Algeron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
Sounds mechanical to me...I had to have my transmission practically rebuilt back in May. My car did the same thing until one day the transmission stopped going into any gear, forward or reverse. Luckily it fully stopped working right after I pulled my car into the dealers garage! Still not perfect, rough shifts from time to time and when it sits out in the cold for a few hours, shifting from Park to drive is rough and jerks if I move the shifter into Drive too fast.
I noticed the rough shifts when colder than normal. That was why I started watching the temp gauge for a bit. Thanks for the additional info.

When yours was rebuilt, did your dealer mention any bulletins or notices on the issues you had before the transmission died?
Old 12-18-2017, 10:40 AM   #11
MaxxRPM

Drives: 2016 Camaro NFG 1SS A8
Back in the day, low fluid level would do things like that. At least if we had a trans dip stick you would know the level is correct.
MaxxRPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:59 AM   #12
CaliSpecial

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxRPM View Post
Back in the day, low fluid level would do things like that. At least if we had a trans dip stick you would know the level is correct.
This is very possible. If the fluid level is low, as you accelerate the fluid surges to the back of the pan enough for the pickup to be sucking on air, thus causing a loss of drive. Get your dealer to check the level.
CaliSpecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 12:13 PM   #13
ndnashlenz

Drives: 2019 1SS Crush, 2017 Corolla White
Contact other dealers in the area and see if they have experienced any similar problems.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:21 PM   #14
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algeron View Post
I noticed the rough shifts when colder than normal. That was why I started watching the temp gauge for a bit. Thanks for the additional info.

When yours was rebuilt, did your dealer mention any bulletins or notices on the issues you had before the transmission died?
No bulletins for that particular issue...honestly I would rather of had the repairs I had done instead of bandaging these A8 issues like a lot of people have gone through. At least mine was thoroughly taken apart, had tons of parts replaced, put back together carefully by a technician who has tons of experience at my dealer and works on Corvettes and Camaros all the time there.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote