Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-29-2021, 11:49 AM   #29
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
I applaud Ford for keeping it on the same F-150 chassis and making it look normal. They could've changed everything and make it look stupid (i.e. Tesla..). The frunk under the 'hood' is a great idea and the price is attractive too.
Overall, I don't see this selling well. The 300 mile distance is not really impressive and the miles must drop quickly if you tow/haul anything with some weight. I just don't see this EV trend catching on until the infrastructure increases to support long-distance EV travel. I can definitely see most gas stations sometime in the future having charging stations that can charge EV's quickly but, until that happens, EV's won't be successful.
Keep in mind that they did that only because they needed to get to market fast and they had not yet developed a skateboard architecture. They invested in Rivian in order to gain access to a skateboard architecture, but soon after realized that they were too far along with development of Lightning to melt and repour. So the Rivian architecture will likely be used for something else and also possibly a next gen of Lightning.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 11:55 AM   #30
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
The price seems reasonable I guess for a new truck....Just wondering how it compares to comparable ICE Ford trucks...

One thing irks me about EV pricing is if it's higher than usual, it gets explained away by stating in general what you will save in gas. This is too arbitrary and should not be a justification for what EVs cost.

All we have heard is how much less complex and inexpensive to build, and becoming less expensive over time to build better batteries, less required maintenance and operating expenses, etc.,etc.

These major changes to EVs over ICE should show up in a less expensive vehicle to purchase and not be based on what a comparable ICE vehicle costs.

Pass these supposed savings on to the customers with a better, significantly lower MSRP than ICE vehicles, and EVs will be even more popular.
The nuance to the part I bolded is that all things considered they are less complex and less expensive to build. The current F150 platform has a several million units headstart on contributing to the offset of development and capital costs (the equipment used to make the components and assemble the vehicle). If they were both starting on Day 1, the EV would have the advantage. But since the tooling to produce the EV is new and the cost has to be attributed to the cost of each vehicle built, that cost per vehicle is higher. As the equipment yields more and more vehicles, the attribution of capital costs per vehicle is reduced.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 07:29 AM   #31
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
The nuance to the part I bolded is that all things considered they are less complex and less expensive to build.
This is the reason the automakers are moving towards EVs. In the long run, it'll be cheaper. Don't mistake this move as zero emissions motivation. In short, they'll receive incentives from gov market intervention, and reap the benefits of public perception.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote