Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 06-20-2021, 02:55 PM   #1
Alpha11

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Fighting Nt555 G2 at autoX

I'm really fighting my nt555 g2s at autoX. I performed aweful yesterday. I'm living on ABS going into corners and fighting understeer all corner. Are these tires really this bad, or is there serious drivers mods to come? I'm still fairly new but I don't know if I'm asking too much if these tires or what? Not trying to drop 1500 this second on tires, but I might in a month if they are really this bad.

TIA
Alpha11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 04:39 PM   #2
d kings z28

Drives: 2014 white z28
Not to happy with mine they want more air than others read the tire psi
Old 06-20-2021, 10:39 PM   #3
Alpha11

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Interesting. I'll try more psi. I had success at the drag strip with a small burnout and 28psi. I'll check the recommended pressures though and try again. I went from 30 to 28 yesterday. I'll try more
Alpha11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 12:29 PM   #4
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Grab a tire crayon and do the old school method of finding your tires roll over point. Find the sidewall triangle and make a long mark onto the tread. After a run through the course check how far it has worn. Ideally you want the crayon line to be worn off to the top of the triangle. This is a good starting point and you can then adjust pressures to "fine tune". You don't need to wait for the next track day to try this technique, a late night "therapy session" can get you in the ballpark. I did this with my Z/28 for Auto X and my Z06 for road course racing. I'm a rookie at all of this twisty-turny stuff and it sure helped.
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2021, 06:35 AM   #5
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
Those tires really are that bad. PS- good luck finding a big-boy 305+ autocross tire right now.
1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:17 AM   #6
ronchev

Drives: 14' Red Z/28 #336
The nt555 is not really a track type tire but more there street tire line, the nt05 or nt01 would have been a much better choice IMO for autox plus there are even better choices out for autox than Nitto, do some searching around on autox tires
ronchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 05:04 PM   #7
redrum_maro
Runs on caffeine

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I like the nt555 for regular street driving but with spirited driving you can really feel that the tire struggles to keep the car on the intended line. My experience on my first track day with them I found myself oversteering but that was partially due to my tire pressure being a little high. I then had my car aligned with an aggressive street set up. The car did feel as if it were handling better, the front didn’t have so much under steer. On my autocross session the next time around I found myself over steering partially because of the way I was driving the car. So it depends as to how you drive the car. With my usual weekday canyon drive I find myself pushing the car to about 75-80% of my comfort level for that day and I like the way they feel with some easy but aggressive driving. I’ve also noted that after some normal driving the rubber becomes a little hard so the next time you drive aggressively you’ll need to put some heat and wear into the tires. With some heat I’ve noticed that the tire feels more direct. If I had to choose a new tire for performance driving and street use I’d considering going back into an Goodyear eagle f1 supercar g2 or try out the Michelin pilot sport. Only issue with these are wet weather handling that you don’t worry too much with the nt555.

What others have said is true, you can find better tires for autocross and road course. I know for a fact that I am heavily limited by these tires. In some threads I’ve read other people’s experiences with these tires and some have said that for cars with over 400hp you should consider the nt555r, others have also said that with heavier cars these tires will struggle. The Camaro SS even with the l99 is already at the threshold of not being sufficient by the standards that these people have set. Considering that the Camaro nears 4000 pounds with a driver, this is considered a heavy set up and the tires will struggle with all the forces that are being exerted on them.
redrum_maro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autox, nitto, tires