Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-15-2020, 05:31 AM   #1
mkmgraham

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
NewB Looking for Exhaust Opinions!

Thanks for the add admins!

I just purchased a 2013 2SS, blue with silver stripes Friday and FREAKING LOVE IT! 100% stock, so it is very quiet. I am currently leaning towards the Borla S-Type as the happy medium. Don't want anything annoying loud, but it needs to sound like a muscle car. I will disable the AFM probably via local tuner. I think axle back is all I want to do. Headers maybe a few years in the future due to the cost. Any opinions on the Borla S-type? Does this system cause any drone? Any other systems I should look in to?

Thanks in advance!!

Matt, Dayton OH
Attached Images

mkmgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:26 AM   #2
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
You can buy a good set of headers for the same price and actually gain something from it. Just saying.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:29 AM   #3
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
If you want just sound get a axle back - get some great sound and not spend a lot. Personally if you plan on doing a full exhaust I would do a car back now and then long tubes with high flow cats afterwards.
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:01 AM   #4
mkmgraham

Recommendations on headers that are affordable? I am not opposed to them, just see a lot of Kooks fans and those are over $1K without the rest of the exhaust.
2013 2SS Blue Ray Metallic/Silver stripes, black Interior. Halo conversion, Diode Dynamics grill lighting, LED interior and fog lights. Sundown 8" DVC, Altrend 300.1 Amp, Handmade side-mount box. Soon to be BBK Headers and hi-flow cats.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:03 AM   #5
mkmgraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdumogre View Post
If you want just sound get a axle back - get some great sound and not spend a lot. Personally if you plan on doing a full exhaust I would do a car back now and then long tubes with high flow cats afterwards.
Looking for just sound now. What axle back would you suggest?

Thanks for the response!
2013 2SS Blue Ray Metallic/Silver stripes, black Interior. Halo conversion, Diode Dynamics grill lighting, LED interior and fog lights. Sundown 8" DVC, Altrend 300.1 Amp, Handmade side-mount box. Soon to be BBK Headers and hi-flow cats.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:05 AM   #6
Kelly@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmgraham View Post
Recommendations on headers that are affordable? I am not opposed to them, just see a lot of Kooks fans and those are over $1K without the rest of the exhaust.
True, but they fit well and being stainless, they will look nice for years to come. We have installed some off brands here and while the part may be cheaper, they take much longer to install as you might have to clearance them, etc. Sometimes the flanges aren't true, etc. A used set of Kooks would be best for someone on a budget

That will bolt up to your factory exhaust. You can have an exhaust shop cut out the resonators, that will make for a good sound + good performance from the headers as well.

But, to answer your original question, the Borla is a nice exhaust also with a good tone to it.
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:28 AM   #7
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:
For true enlightenment, one must read the ancient scrolls.
My OBX headers w/cats were $600. Bolted right up. Zero issues. Been on the car since 2012.
Point is, you gain sound AND performance.
I'm speaking from experience. Most people who start with cat back/axle back and later add headers, are back here asking how do I eliminate drone or how to quiet things down.
My advice, headers w/cats on stock exhaust and go from there.
Good luck.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:30 AM   #8
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Looking for just sound now. What axle back would you suggest?

Thanks for the response!
Since you mention axle back, I would highly recommend MBRP.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:32 AM   #9
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
Speed engineering headers, catless if you want to save money, or high flows, S type will probably be where you want to be. Corsa I think sound good too but I only have heard my Ataks in person and they are loud and raspy. Even when I had only the catback before the SC it was pretty load under WOT, had some popcorn pops under decal too.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:00 AM   #10
gunchamp

Drives: 15 Camaro SS
Quote:
Speed engineering for cheap and they are a really good header. Honestly imo, the kooks ect are over priced. Not saying they arent good headers, but headers should not cost more than the damn exhaust. Speed engineering fit very well, are stainless and have a very thick flange. Very good quality header. I think they are only $300. I have them and couldnt be happier. I'll vote for corsa extreme. Also run that. Zero drone anywhere, quiet at cruise and absolutely crazy at wot
gunchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:01 PM   #11
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Some people experience some drone with Borla S type exhaust, but not all. IMO you can't beat Solo's Mach XL catback for sound and lack of drone.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:28 PM   #12
racesloth
Dan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Since you mention axle back, I would highly recommend MBRP.
I love my MBRP 3" with ARH LT's

2010 IOM SS
YSI-B, Pat G Cam, Ported CTS-V Heads, ARH LTs MBRP 3" exhaust
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...&highlight=ysi
racesloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:40 PM   #13
mkmgraham

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly@PCMofNC View Post
True, but they fit well and being stainless, they will look nice for years to come. We have installed some off brands here and while the part may be cheaper, they take much longer to install as you might have to clearance them, etc. Sometimes the flanges aren't true, etc. A used set of Kooks would be best for someone on a budget

That will bolt up to your factory exhaust. You can have an exhaust shop cut out the resonators, that will make for a good sound + good performance from the headers as well.

But, to answer your original question, the Borla is a nice exhaust also with a good tone to it.
I never thought about bolting new headers to my existing exhaust. Thanks!
Old 01-15-2020, 04:38 PM   #14
SSkat

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I started with headers and im glad i did.
SSkat is offline   Reply With Quote