Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-16-2018, 03:12 PM   #1
race24x

Drives: 80 Z28 - 93 Z28 - 14 Camaro SS-RS
Ceramic Coating a used car

So I have a 2014 Camaro SS black. It has the usual dings etc on the front end. I really like how the ceramic coating came out on my friends Corvette, however even after cleaning up my paint (I worked in a recon department) and wet sanding buffing the front and buffing the whole car, I am not sure about ceramic coating it and would it be worth it. I would do it myself since I have already done the clay bar and buffing (which it seems like is the most of the work). Has anyone done ceramic coating themselves? What did you think? What did you use?
race24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:30 PM   #2
HAMBO

Drives: Supercharged 2013 AGM 2SS/RS
I didn't apply my own coating, but from I understand you're supposed to do immediately after compounding / polishing (ie. don't drive the car in between polishing and coating) for best results.

The Adams ceramic coating kit looks like a nice kit if you are looking for a DIY all in one package.
SLP TVS2300, Edge CAI, 3" Magnaflow catback, BC Racing BR series coilovers, HRE FF15's (20x10 square) with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's, GM STB, BMR front and rear sway bars and toe links, Prothane subframe bushings and front control arm inserts, JDP rear upper control arm bushings, Elite Engineering catch can. Tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
1967 Bolero Red 396 SS/RS Convertible
HAMBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:57 PM   #3
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
I've used several of the different versions on the market. I like Carpro CQuartz, but for ease of use.... Optimum Gloss Coat is the best. It self levels..... making excess removal a breeze.

Unlike many other coatings, if you like using carnauba wax, you can use it on top of it as well.

You should also get a bottle of Carpro Eraser, to wipe down the panel before applying your coating. This will remove any oils, polish residue, and anything that is on the surface that could affect the bond.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:38 AM   #4
Reichler

Drives: 2004 GTO & 2005 GTO
A few weeks ago I applied Adams reformulated 9H paint coating on my 76k mile daily driven 04 GTO that sits outside 24/7. Damn am I impressed with the stuff and how easy and forgiving it was to apply and remove.

It's been 3 weeks since I've washed the car and the paint still looks incredibly clean. Dirt just doesn't seem to want to stick to it much at all.

Last edited by Reichler; 07-17-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Reichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:49 AM   #5
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by race24x View Post
So I have a 2014 Camaro SS black. It has the usual dings etc on the front end. I really like how the ceramic coating came out on my friends Corvette, however even after cleaning up my paint (I worked in a recon department) and wet sanding buffing the front and buffing the whole car, I am not sure about ceramic coating it and would it be worth it. I would do it myself since I have already done the clay bar and buffing (which it seems like is the most of the work). Has anyone done ceramic coating themselves? What did you think? What did you use?
Before you do the ceramic coating buy yourself a bottle of the Ceramic Boost from Adams. I was looking at coating my car but saw the Boost is used at the end of the coating process. So I decided to try just the Ceramic Boost by itself. I claybared the car and put a good coat of wax on it. Then applied the Adams Ceramic Boost....the shine is incredible and seems durable. My car stays in the garage but I did my truck with great results. Its not quit the protection on the coating but damn does it shine.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:48 AM   #6
Reichler

Drives: 2004 GTO & 2005 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Before you do the ceramic coating buy yourself a bottle of the Ceramic Boost from Adams. I was looking at coating my car but saw the Boost is used at the end of the coating process. So I decided to try just the Ceramic Boost by itself. I claybared the car and put a good coat of wax on it. Then applied the Adams Ceramic Boost....the shine is incredible and seems durable. My car stays in the garage but I did my truck with great results. Its not quit the protection on the coating but damn does it shine.

Sure does.

Use it on bare paint and it will last upwards of 2 months. That's what I was using before I decided to coat the car. Love the stuff.
Reichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:24 PM   #7
Joe M 2012 2SS

FYI......Autogeek is having a 25% off free shipping over $50 sale...….Optimum Complete Prep & Coat kit is $56.24 after discounts and free shipping.

You get the coating, prep spray, and 6 microfiber towels. This is a good deal.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:36 PM   #8
HAMBO

Drives: Supercharged 2013 AGM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
FYI......Autogeek is having a 25% off free shipping over $50 sale...….Optimum Complete Prep & Coat kit is $56.24 after discounts and free shipping.

You get the coating, prep spray, and 6 microfiber towels. This is a good deal.
That is a great deal!

Another option to consider (I've not used it first hand but have heard good things) is Gyeon. DetailedImage is currently doing 15% off and free shipping no minimum on all Gyeon products.
SLP TVS2300, Edge CAI, 3" Magnaflow catback, BC Racing BR series coilovers, HRE FF15's (20x10 square) with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's, GM STB, BMR front and rear sway bars and toe links, Prothane subframe bushings and front control arm inserts, JDP rear upper control arm bushings, Elite Engineering catch can. Tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
1967 Bolero Red 396 SS/RS Convertible
HAMBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:07 PM   #9
Whoomba

Drives: 2024Camaro 2SS CE Convertible
I was just coming here to ask this question. Great advice. Is it too much to ask of it or does it help keep the rock dings down? I shoulda put a clear bra on it when it was new but now it would need painting first for that.
Whoomba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:36 PM   #10
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoomba View Post
I was just coming here to ask this question. Great advice. Is it too much to ask of it or does it help keep the rock dings down? I shoulda put a clear bra on it when it was new but now it would need painting first for that.

No it wont prevent rock chips, I put rock guards behind the front tires several years ago, as I got some chips on the "gill" areas of the rear quarter panels, haven't had a new chip since.

Dr.Colorchip is good for small chips, Langka works better for larger chips.

The best way to reduce rock chips on the front of the car if it's not covered with PPF is to allow 4-5 car lengths or more following distance whenever possible.

If you have the front bumper painted and put PPF on, you'll need to wait until the paint fully cures first, usually about 90 days.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:22 PM   #11
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reichler View Post
Sure does.

Use it on bare paint and it will last upwards of 2 months. That's what I was using before I decided to coat the car. Love the stuff.
Ya...but it cost me almost $100 for 2 bottles shipped to my house. Thats Canadian
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:39 PM   #12
Whoomba

Drives: 2024Camaro 2SS CE Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
No it wont prevent rock chips, I put rock guards behind the front tires several years ago, as I got some chips on the "gill" areas of the rear quarter panels, haven't had a new chip since.

Dr.Colorchip is good for small chips, Langka works better for larger chips.

The best way to reduce rock chips on the front of the car if it's not covered with PPF is to allow 4-5 car lengths or more following distance whenever possible.

If you have the front bumper painted and put PPF on, you'll need to wait until the paint fully cures first, usually about 90 days.
I know we’re hijacking the thread but Langka sounds interesting. I give it a try.
Whoomba is online now   Reply With Quote