Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-25-2018, 12:24 AM   #1
Starfall
1bad6

Drives: 2010 camaro
V6 shooting flames / popping general questions

I'm extremely curious about a video i recently seen on a v6 camaro shooting flames and popping, i really don't know much about any of this stuff. So first i'm going to start with the video

https://youtu.be/SFPzvP1qcKk

Now to the questions, i have a mrt v1 axleback, stock cats and i still have resonaters, how can i get my car to pop and shoot flames like this? if i remove the res's and do straights, would that work?

How is he getting it to pop like that? Is he revving it up high and completely letting it off the gas or is he pressing his foot on the gas at around 3-4k to make it pop? My car pops alot at around 3-4k but i have to feather the throttle almost, and the pops aren't very loud

Is this happening because he has no cats/res's? Or is it because of the tune, if so what tuning companies offer this, i don't believe trifecta does. Thank you
Old 05-25-2018, 05:27 PM   #2
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
It's all tuning. (and having high flow or no cats) High horsepower cars spit flames because of the air and fuel being moved (and by extension usually the extreme AFR difference when not under load, so all the excess fuel detonates in the exhaust). This is just tuning. Anyone can do it, it's not technical or anything, no benefits to it, it's just "cool".

But you also have to realize that this occurs every time you let off the throttle, and depending on how aggressive the effect is, it can continue for some time. I'd imagine it would get obnoxious after a while. A couple guys at Eurocharged near me said they did an SS with a flame tune but he wanted it taken off because it was so obnoxious.

If you were catless you could put spark plugs in your exhaust and turn them on when revving... same effect. That's, ahem, something my late grandfather told me they did back with their carb'd engines.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:23 AM   #3
Starfall
1bad6

Drives: 2010 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
It's all tuning. (and having high flow or no cats) High horsepower cars spit flames because of the air and fuel being moved (and by extension usually the extreme AFR difference when not under load, so all the excess fuel detonates in the exhaust). This is just tuning. Anyone can do it, it's not technical or anything, no benefits to it, it's just "cool".

But you also have to realize that this occurs every time you let off the throttle, and depending on how aggressive the effect is, it can continue for some time. I'd imagine it would get obnoxious after a while. A couple guys at Eurocharged near me said they did an SS with a flame tune but he wanted it taken off because it was so obnoxious.

If you were catless you could put spark plugs in your exhaust and turn them on when revving... same effect. That's, ahem, something my late grandfather told me they did back with their carb'd engines.

I'm not looking for something crazy, i just want some loud bangs / pops with a little bit of flame when letting off from WOT, do you know any tunes that can do this?
Old 05-30-2018, 08:58 AM   #4
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
You'd have to ask the tuners up front.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:16 AM   #5
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Negative timing in the low load, mid-RPM range will cause it along with slowing up the DFCO (Deceleration Fuel Cut Off) settings. My Camaro V6 will spit flames during shifts, and it isn't by design, just from the HP I was running. I had my Mustang 5.0 tuned to making popping noises during deceleration, until it did it when I passed by a cop who was outside his car and he gave me the look of death. Turned it off after that.