Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-30-2010, 09:37 PM   #141
IPSjeff

Drives: 2009 ZR1
Video:

IPSjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:42 PM   #142
MileMAN402
RIP JoePa

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS & 2001 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPSjeff View Post
Video:

the fan sucks lol but those turbos in the background sure are nice
Old 06-30-2010, 11:47 PM   #143
Blk_SS

Drives: black on black 2SS/RS
can you tell me what are the billet/HTA upgrade mean? im still kinda new to these term
Blk_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:58 AM   #144
z28xtreme

Drives: #17 Pontiac G8 GT
would you be able do a tune for a hp tuner?

how long would this take to install at home?

how long would it take for you guys to install?

what does the fuel upgrade entail?

also, do you still have an APS twin turbo kit for a G8 GT?
z28xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:47 AM   #145
IPSjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk_SS View Post
can you tell me what are the billet/HTA upgrade mean? im still kinda new to these term
The basics are a stronger / lighter wheel that is capable of moving more air than the "Standard" cast wheel from Garrett in the same size wheel.

Here is a bit more "Tech" info:

Billet aluminum wheels are much stronger than cast aluminum wheels for a couple of reasons. The first is that there are no porosity issues to have to worry about. This means that there is no chance of minute air bubbles being in the metal. Turbonetics uses a special process called HIP’ing. Hot Isostatic Processing that virtually eliminates porosity in its cast wheels but because the wheel is cast and the metal is still smushed together (laymans terms) the hotter the wheel gets, the faster it spins and the greater the pressure ratio conditions it runs at the greater the chance of metal fatigue, blade straightening or in the worst case bursting. The second is the metal material that can be selected to be used is a much stronger grade than the same cast material.

The nose and hub of the compressor wheel can be made significantly smaller to allow for a greater blade diameter for a givine inducer size. The nose is where the compressor nut gets fastened down and the hub is the area around the bore of the wheel that the impeller blades are attached to. A cast wheel has to have a certain size nose and hub to allow the wheel to be cast number one and secondly it has to be able to be pulled from the mold itself. So simply stated a 61mm Forged Billet turbo will flow more air and have the opportunity to make more power than the same 61mm turbo with a cast compressor wheel.

Billet forged wheels also gives the wheel tremendous blade strength and lowers the chance of the blades straightening at high speeds (ie. high boost pressures). When the boost pressure is raised many things occur including causing increased friction with the air and thus increasing temperatures, the pressure the wheel is under and finally the great centrifugal force the blades are under spinning at such high speeds. These three factors can cause the blades to contact the compressor housing causing serious damage to the turbocharger and could possibly lead to immediate destruction or greatly decrease the life span of the turbocharger.

With forged billet impellers the blades of the wheel can be machined much thinner because they are so much stronger. This allows the wheel to have a greater efficiency range becuase their is less blade thickness to contact the air and heat it up. It also means that with less blade thickness and lower hub area that there is a greater area in-between the blades to squeeze more air and build boost pressure. The more efficient a wheel is the lower the intake temps and everyone knows the cooler the air going into the engine the more horsepower you can make.
Jeff

Last edited by IPSjeff; 07-01-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:56 AM   #146
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
IPS Jeff:
You know what is on my car (headers, intake, exhaust, tune). Would you be able to send me a quote for what it would take for you guys at IPS to put this kit on my car? I would want the options that make my car very reliable on the street.

This way, I can compare the quote you gave me for the Maggie vs. this turbo set up so I can make a decision.

Thanks.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:00 AM   #147
IPSjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28xtreme View Post
would you be able do a tune for a hp tuner?

how long would this take to install at home?

how long would it take for you guys to install?

what does the fuel upgrade entail?

also, do you still have an APS twin turbo kit for a G8 GT?
If we do the install here or tune the car here we prefer to use HP Tuners for tuning so yes

Install in your garage could vary from a few days to a few weekends depending on your mechanical skill level. VERY detailed instructions with pics and a video link will be provided with every kit to help you along and make things go as smooth as possible.

I would want the car for a week to do a complete install and tune. That doesn't mean it will take more than 2-3 days to actually install the kit but in many cases the trick is finding those 2-3 days We also like to spend a little more time on a FI car so tuning is a bit more time-consuming as well.

Fuel package (As it is currently priced) consists of:
8 x 81 Lb Injectors
MSD Programmable Fuel-pump Controller
Diablosport Predator Programmer

No, APS isn't selling the G8 kit anymore but if you know somebody that wants a free install and tune on an IPS kit let me know
Jeff
Old 07-01-2010, 10:03 AM   #148
IPSjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
IPS Jeff:
You know what is on my car (headers, intake, exhaust, tune). Would you be able to send me a quote for what it would take for you guys at IPS to put this kit on my car? I would want the options that make my car very reliable on the street.

This way, I can compare the quote you gave me for the Maggie vs. this turbo set up so I can make a decision.

Thanks.
I will send you over a quote today on the kit
Jeff
Old 07-01-2010, 10:18 AM   #149
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
IPS Jeff:

Thanks.
Just keep in mind, that TT are always more expensive than installing S/C. So, they are not apple to apple comparison. Personally, I wouldn't use "Price" as comparison factor between these two F/I methods.
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:34 AM   #150
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
dumb question then...

The fuel package is required if you want the kit to be a true bolt on kit, which means you have to add the price of the fuel package to the listed price, correct?

or is there a fluke in the page and it should be taking away the price of the fuel package if you click "no thanks" for the fuel package, instead of adding it?

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:36 AM   #151
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
Quote:
IPS Jeff:

Thanks.
don't you even think about getting this kit before me!

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:59 AM   #152
IPSjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
dumb question then...

The fuel package is required if you want the kit to be a true bolt on kit, which means you have to add the price of the fuel package to the listed price, correct?

or is there a fluke in the page and it should be taking away the price of the fuel package if you click "no thanks" for the fuel package, instead of adding it?
Correct. Essentially one is a "Tuner" kit w/o fuel components and by adding it on the kit is 100% complete to bolt everything on and go with a tune included. If you are installing it here we would only add injectors and the MSD to the actual kit as we will be using HP Tuners for the tuning.
Jeff
Old 07-01-2010, 11:15 AM   #153
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Chewy Send a message via MSN to Chewy
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPSjeff View Post
Correct. Essentially one is a "Tuner" kit w/o fuel components and by adding it on the kit is 100% complete to bolt everything on and go with a tune included. If you are installing it here we would only add injectors and the MSD to the actual kit as we will be using HP Tuners for the tuning.
Jeff

oh so its another $962 for the REST of the kit i've had a lot of interest in this kit, but now that i realize all teh advertising is based on a 'tuner' kit i can't use out of the box i'm rather dissapointed:(
Old 07-01-2010, 11:33 AM   #154
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
Just keep in mind, that TT are always more expensive than installing S/C. So, they are not apple to apple comparison. Personally, I wouldn't use "Price" as comparison factor between these two F/I methods.

Z-Rocks-
I absolutely agree, but I have to be able to afford it either way. If I go with a supercharger, I am considering a cam too. Either way, Jeff knows I'll be asking lots of questions before deciding. I know I'm sort of comparing apples and oranges, but I need all the information to figure out if I want the apple or the orange.

Fortunately, Jeff and Brandon and others see totally cool about answering all of my noob questions. And, most importantly, they want to make sure I'm happy with my car. I'm very fortunate that I live so close to them.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote