Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-16-2017, 07:33 AM   #1
Osyrusda1

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro LT V6
Last resort for an engine

Good morning Camaro 5 forum, I've got issues-recently found out my car has a spunt bearing and needs a new engine V6 3.6L. Just learned that Chevrolet has known about the timing issues that causes engine damage for the 2010 to 2012 models and made a change in the 2012 models and up. My question is do I go with a Jasper re-manufactured engine, get a used engine and deal with the same issue in the near future or put a LS3 engine in. I've already invested 5K with a new transmission, cats, transmission fluid lines and more. Considering a new car and letting the Camaro sit.
Osyrusda1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:53 AM   #2
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Forget a ls3 conversion you would open a ugly can of worms that could take you to the point of nervous breakdown with the amount of things to change out. And posts on here over the years, well not encouraging; think a guy or two did it, also know the give up quotient of the formula was heavily in favor of the forget it. Its not just a engine it a trans, a ecu, a bcm, a rear end, a harness, engine mounts, trans mounts, different everything, etc etc etc etc etc etc. A spun bearing on the crank is a bummer and you I am sure if you looked under search for similar problems on the threads here would find answers to the common problems of the v-6 and of course the decision is up to you.
The thing to do would be to take care of the timing issue or other issues and address them with the rebuild, and wonder the miles that are on the v-6 as replacing the trans, cats is not low mileage things normal for low mile cars. Yes they changed things and the v-6 changed a lot. IMO I would also seriously consider also a low mile used engine installed cheaply and then traded in...for yes the V-8, and a 2013. whether your throwing good money after bad? The condition of the Camaro and its future usefulness and how hard its been ridden....and its resale and the amount its going to cost all are things to consider as its a case of a lot more fish in the sea, and recouping proportionally what you invested back...either through use or trading it off. Money talks, good luck, and do some more research on here about the engine.... And this being the internet; welcome to the place where people go when they finally have too when they have a problem, may you find your answers?
Old 02-16-2017, 07:54 AM   #3
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
A spun bearing doesn't necessarily mean the whole engine is toast. Unless there is significant collateral damage, it is usually just a matter of obtaining a new crank, new bearings, and new piston rod for the cylinder that spun. But I don't know you're particular situation. As an example, I spun a bearing on a '96 Corvette engine (over-rev), replaced the crank with a remanufactured crank, new bearings, and one piston rod. The car ran hard for another 80K + miles, and was still strong when I sold it.

As far as the timing chain issue, it is my understanding that the culprit in the LLT engine is a plastic tensioner that can break and cause issues. I could be wrong about that. If there is an upgraded part available, I would install this when you/shop is replacing the crank and bearings.

That said, there are usually two things that cause a bearing to spin, either over revving (RPM too high) or oil starvation. I'm guessing that this is oil starvation. The VVT engines are known for consuming oil and the level needs to be checked frequently.

As to engine replacement, it depends on your budget. A remanufactured engine, not sure who has the best reputation with these, is your best bet. It should have a long list of new parts and typically comes with a warranty of some sort. I do not know if the LFX would be a plug and play replacement or not. LS3? Forget it, it would it would be cheaper to just sell your car as a roller and buy a used SS.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:14 AM   #4
Raulo19

Drives: 2013 Dusk SS, 2017 Pacifica
Compare a jasper motor to a 2012 salvage motor. Forget the v8.
Raulo19 is offline   Reply With Quote