Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-07-2015, 11:15 PM   #1
firedruish

all right guys...please help me figure out the hell went wrong - updated on last post

So I drive the 200 miles to grand junction to help a friend and see another today. As I am driving down on ramp 37 to i-70 east....I downshift and continue to break. My traction control flashes once and all 4 tires lock up. Subsequently sliding the car into the cement median. I was doing 40 at the beginning and slowing down to about 30 posted limit was 25 at the curve and 40.at the entrance. Clear, 53 degrees and nothing on the roads but mag chloride. State patrol called it mechanical failure. The only damage to the car as far as the shop can tell is a bent control arm and suspension damage. I have a pea size circle of paint missing from my front fender. Currently staying over night in hopes that the adjuster can come out and they can fix my car as the Chevy dealer here has everything.

The car is filthy as there is still snow on the passes and I had just gotten into grand junction. The picture is of both tires with the steering wheel set and straight. I slide into the wall nose first drivers side.

Please tell me what I did wrong because I am lost....it's a 2014 2ss rs with almost new nitto nt90w snow tires. This Is my second camaro and have never felt nor seen what this one did. Neither of us hurt....I am just at a loss

Thanks in advance
Attached Images

Last edited by firedruish; 01-21-2015 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:34 PM   #2

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS
LOL - OK on a serious note

I doubt it was a 4 wheel lock up if so maybe there was black ice or loose sand on the road?
Or possibly you shifted to a gear that was really to low and it locked up the rearend because of to much compression(to low of a gear) and unloaded the rear tires and slide you off the road...

More pix of the skid marks etc on the road will explain more....

3400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:40 PM   #3
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3400 View Post
................ maybe there was black ice or loose sand on the road?
Or possibly you shifted to a gear that was really to low and it locked up the rearend because of to much compression(to low of a gear) and unloaded the rear tires and slide you off the road...

More pix of the skid marks etc on the road will explain more....

+1
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:42 PM   #4
B73

Drives: 2013 2ss rs 1le in Victory Red
yep, sounds like a compression skid to me as well but pics of the skid marks would be helpfull
B73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:06 AM   #5
firedruish

Yes I am a female driver. 15 years of perfect driving until the last 6 months. Road was black and shiny with mag chloride...so no skids marks
Old 01-08-2015, 12:51 AM   #6
thkfast

Drives: '14 Red 2SS/RS/LS3
Assuming you have a manual transmission, YES, you probably downshifted into 1st gear by accident. That's EXACTLY what would happen!

thkfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:55 AM   #7
firedruish

Quote:
Originally Posted by thkfast View Post
Assuming you have a manual transmission, YES, you probably downshifted into 1st gear by accident. That's EXACTLY what would happen!
Can you please explain why? I really want to understand? Thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate all the help I can get and learning I can get.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:15 AM   #8
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedruish View Post
Can you please explain why? I really want to understand? Thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate all the help I can get and learning I can get.
Well, if you down shift to soon the RPMs will be to high, this will cause the transmission to feel like if you slammed on the rear brakes, in some ocations the rear wheels will actually lock up for a little bit, this will make the car lose traction at the rear wheels which probably caused a skid and that's why TC was flashing too and lost contro of all 4 wheels as a result.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:21 AM   #9
firedruish

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post
Well, if you down shift to soon the RPMs will be to high, this will cause the transmission to feel like if you slammed on the rear brakes, in some ocations the rear wheels will actually lock up for a little bit, this will make the car lose traction at the rear wheels which probably caused a skid and that's why TC was flashing too and lost contro of all 4 wheels as a result.

Hope that makes sense.
That does make sense and explains what I did wrong. Next question is what is the fix. .nothing I did made a difference . It felt like the car was floating totally disconnected from the ground and the gas peddle and clutch brought no reponse. Should I have engaged the parking break..Put it in neutral...gassed it more....upshifted?

Thanks
Old 01-08-2015, 01:22 AM   #10
firedruish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Is that a nail in the right front?
I can't tell from the photo...but will be at the dealership in the morning and will check
Old 01-08-2015, 01:37 AM   #11
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Quote:
Is that a nail in the right front?
Very sharp eye.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:37 AM   #12
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedruish View Post
That does make sense and explains what I did wrong. Next question is what is the fix. .nothing I did made a difference . It felt like the car was floating totally disconnected from the ground and the gas peddle and clutch brought no reponse. Should I have engaged the parking break..Put it in neutral...gassed it more....upshifted?

Thanks
The first thing I would suggest is to stop down shifting, this puts more wear and tear on you're drivetrain components, it's much cheaper to replace brake pads.

And regarding the skid, you definitely want to get off the gas and brakes, if possible, turn the wheel the opposite direction of the skid, and turn the wheel straight as the car corrects it's direction and you feel the wheels re-gain traction,
if you have enough space it's possible to re-gain control of the car.
Maybe this video will help.
http://youtu.be/JYduWJn-PAY

Keep in mind that if you caught some ice patch or something it will be very very difficult to control the car.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:48 AM   #13
firedruish

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post
The first thing I would suggest is to stop down shifting, this puts more wear and tear on you're drivetrain components, it's much cheaper to replace brake pads.

And regarding the skid, you definitely want to get off the gas and brakes, if possible, turn the wheel the opposite direction of the skid, and turn the wheel straight as the car corrects it's direction and you feel the wheels re-gain traction,
if you have enough space it's possible to re-gain control of the car.
Maybe this video will help.
http://youtu.be/JYduWJn-PAY

Keep in mind that if you caught some ice patch or something it will be very very difficult to control the car.
Thanks for the video and the advise.. state patrol said the same thing "use brakes and stay away from down shifting" that is a change I'll be making immediately.

Now if only I could get this afternoon back...sigh any other pointers would be awesome.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:53 AM   #14
firedruish

Quote:
Ask them to check all 4's before you leave for home.
Outstanding advise and will make sure its done before I leave the lot. Just hope it's soon....