Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #12433
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho928 View Post

................ sufficient ground clearance...............

2 things you never do.....

Ask Sheldon, "Why?"

and ask Pete about sufficient ground clearance.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #12434
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Bazinga
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #12435
sho928

Drives: Porsche 928 S4, Mustang GT vert
post by Mr Twisty

"2 things you never do.....

Ask Sheldon, "Why?"

and ask Pete about sufficient ground clearance."

LOL, both my Wife and Niece call me Sheldon!

I do not want to be that Guy, I will in the future tone it down on unsolicited opinions.
Thanks for the warning, I greatly anticipate Pete's dissertation now
sho928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #12436
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
Uh huh... thanks for the reminder... My car will never need an air freshener...

LOL

Welcome to the site and our little corner of "Z28"
That depends on who you take for a ride & how bad you scare them
Old 04-03-2013, 01:45 PM   #12437
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Sheldon...isn't that a reference to guys from (East) TEXAS?!

kidding...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #12438
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
Bazinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Sheldon...isn't that a reference to guys from (East) TEXAS?!

:
Old 04-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #12439
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Members of the house.... Will any of you be attending the fest this year?
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #12440
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
By hook or crook....

tramtwo posted this on the go
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #12441
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
post per JusticePete

"My opinion and $3.50 will get you your next Starbucks"

Based on your well reasoned analysis the value of your opinion is being greatly undervalued.

The wild card in all of this is will the Z28 have sufficient ground clearance, suspension travel and control to manage a rough course like the Ring (Gingerman is smooth).
I would have to believe Team Camaro Engineers took that into account and the high tech shocks will be able to do miracles with limited travel.

My frame of reference is the GM Ring vids I just watched, the fastest vettes had to stay off the curbs (even with magnetic ride) while the ZL1 was amazing in that it could take half a car width of curb and not even shake the camera (as the vettes did on a slight touch of curb).
This ability allows the ZL1 to stay on the throttle and straight line the esses making curbs disappear under its suspension.
I say 11-sec faster than the ZL1 is possible with a risk taking driver like Jan Magnusson, but far from the comfort level of the ZL1
The front aero on the Z/28 is sturdy. It generates significant down force and has the internal structure to support it. While it might rub here or there it is self clearancing. There is an old saying around the track. If you stand on the brakes and there are no sparks your car isn't low enough.

I drove this across 2/3s of the USA. Detroit, Chicago, Philly, NYC have some of the worst street in the USA. No problems. The driveways in the mountain areas of Pennsylvania, no problem. A good portion of this was driven with three kids, my wife and a trunk full of stuff.

I think the Z/28 needs to be LOWERED. It will improve the CG and I have yet to wear a hole in a CAT. When I do I'll replace it just like tires, brake pads, rotors, clutches, SRF brake fluid, oil... The Z/28 needs camber plates. Can you imagine driving the Z/28 with -3.5 front camber, toe OUT .5 per side, max out the caster, -0.50 rear camber and toe IN .10 per side?

As nasty as the Z/28 is, there is low hanging fruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
2 things you never do.....

Ask Sheldon, "Why?"

and ask Pete about sufficient ground clearance.

All we need is 40mm or just enough clearance that my foot fits under it

Quote:
Bazinga

NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING, NEEDS LOWERING,
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #12442
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Pete's just mad GM copied the L/28.....

Let him have some air.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #12443
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Pete's just mad GM copied the L/28.....

Let him have some air.

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #12444
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
I'll be there!
Old 04-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #12445
sho928

Drives: Porsche 928 S4, Mustang GT vert
Post per
JusticePete Needs Lowering
I drove this across 2/3s of the USA. Detroit, Chicago, Philly, NYC have some of the worst street in the USA. No problems. The driveways in the mountain areas of Pennsylvania, no problem. A good portion of this was driven with three kids, my wife and a trunk full of stuff.
"I think the Z/28 needs to be LOWERED. It will improve the CG and I have yet to wear a hole in a CAT. When I do I'll replace it just like tires, brake pads, rotors, clutches, SRF brake fluid, oil... The Z/28 needs camber plates. Can you imagine driving the Z/28 with -3.5 front camber, toe OUT .5 per side, max out the caster, -0.50 rear camber and toe IN .10 per side? "

That is a cool ride; looks like it will suck up pavement patches, kudos to your driving skills!
I like the Camber plates Pedders came up with.

I have the same alignment setting except for -1.5 at the back, it works well with my Bridgestone R1 rubber, I lost some stopping power on the street (I make it up in trail braking on the track) due to the front camber, but got it back by letting some air out (bigger contact patch).
The toe out makes for lively steering over pavement grooves but transients and turn in are so much quicker, not to mention better tracking and less friction on turns.

I need to try some SRF next (have fluid boil with 600-degree blue using Hawk HT-14 pads)

I do not have ground clearance for a car wash, and I am learning to keep my distance when driving behind other cars on the highway (the car in front never brakes or dodges road junk, thus if running to close have no time for evasive maneuvers).

Cool thought need some tungsten rub strips on front valence for some sparks under braking.

You think Pedders will find much to improve in the Z28 once it hits the street?
sho928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #12446
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Post per
JusticePete Needs Lowering
"I think the Z/28 needs to be LOWERED. It will improve the CG and I have yet to wear a hole in a CAT. When I do I'll replace it just like tires, brake pads, rotors, clutches, SRF brake fluid, oil... The Z/28 needs camber plates. Can you imagine driving the Z/28 with -3.5 front camber, toe OUT .5 per side, max out the caster, -0.50 rear camber and toe IN .10 per side? "

That is a cool ride; looks like it will suck up pavement patches, kudos to your driving skills!
I like the Camber plates Pedders came up with.

I have the same alignment setting except for -1.5 at the back, it works well with my Bridgestone R1 rubber, I lost some stopping power on the street (I make it up in trail braking on the track) due to the front camber, but got it back by letting some air out (bigger contact patch).
The toe out makes for lively steering over pavement grooves but transients and turn in are so much quicker, not to mention better tracking and less friction on turns.

I need to try some SRF next (have fluid boil with 600-degree blue using Hawk HT-14 pads)

I do not have ground clearance for a car wash, and I am learning to keep my distance when driving behind other cars on the highway (the car in front never brakes or dodges road junk, thus if running to close have no time for evasive maneuvers).

Cool thought need some tungsten rub strips on front valence for some sparks under braking.

You think Pedders will find much to improve in the Z28 once it hits the street?
My LOWERED Denali makes it through the car wash

Pull some of your rear camber out. You'll like it

My best guesses on upgrades:

Supercars -- Not because the damping isn't excellent on the Z/28. I know Mark. The OEM Z/28 doesn't allow for damping adjustment, ride height adjustment or spring rate changes.

Camber Plates --

eXtreme Range Pedders Alignment Bolts -- We can add caster and decrease rear camber

Bars and bushes fall into the unknown category. There are no specifics available at this time.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
"number z", 2014 700hp z/28, 3/27/2013, 75k, super de duper z thread, thread for the zed, what'z up?, where's our z/28, why no big z?, z/28 spring 2014