Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-07-2024, 10:17 PM   #1
Max_Burnside

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS V6 3.6L
Questions on Koni and Bilstein Struts for comfort and preformance

Hi all. I tried looking for an answer but didn't find what I needed.

I have a 2017 RS with a V6. Currently running stock tires with chrome SS reporductions' 20x9's. My mechanic said the rattle I experienced was a strut but it didn't need replacing yet. But I have a store credit of about $150 at an online store I won't name so I was thinnking of buying a pair of something and put that credit towards it.

Anyone tried Koni adjustable or Bilstein B6 performance struts specifically for the front? I want more dampening. I'm getting jolted hitting potholes and want to have best performance part I can that has some more comfort other than stock.

I was thinking of an air ride struts but I don't want it lowered. It already is low enough going over speed bumps etc. I can't spend that much either at this time.
Max_Burnside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 06:26 AM   #2
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
I have experience with both brands on other cars, but not our Camaros. In general, I think you'll find that Konis on their softest setting will be more comfortable than Bilsteins. At least on C4s, Bislteins are not digressive, which means their rates over high-speed suspension events (bumps and potholes) are higher/stiffer than a digressive shock like the Koni, which has a higher rate in low-speed suspension movement (roll, pitch) and less damping rate in high-speed suspension travel over bumps.
Old 02-08-2024, 07:58 AM   #3
Max_Burnside

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS V6 3.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
I have experience with both brands on other cars, but not our Camaros. In general, I think you'll find that Konis on their softest setting will be more comfortable than Bilsteins. At least on C4s, Bislteins are not digressive, which means their rates over high-speed suspension events (bumps and potholes) are higher/stiffer than a digressive shock like the Koni, which has a higher rate in low-speed suspension movement (roll, pitch) and less damping rate in high-speed suspension travel over bumps.
That's good info. That's what I assumed from description but ya know how manufacturers like to put a spin on thngs that don't quite perform in real world testing so thats why I ask here. I also assumed Koni was better because they're a higher price. Just trying to make the right decision. Thanks for this.
Max_Burnside is offline   Reply With Quote