Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #1
uninamer

Drives: 2013 Black 2LT RS
Question Winter Tires for 2013 2LT RS

I recently bought a 2013 2LT RS (so everything is stock) and I'm coming to find that I will need winter tires for the midwest winter. I've done some research on tire rack and I'm considering these tires and these rims. Aesthetics aside, will these work for my car? I'm going to get my current tpms sensors transferred when they mount them and I'm aware that my speedometer will be off since I'm dropping sizes. Will that make a noticeable difference?

I also considered just buying these tires by themselves because they will fit on my current rims; however, I think the first route will be more cost effective in the long run.

Thanks for any help.
uninamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #2
Kleeeb

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 1LT/RS
Send a message via MSN to Kleeeb Send a message via Skype™ to Kleeeb
I have heard blizzaks are great for snow, but I don't understand- Why not just keep your stock rims? That seems to be a little more cost effective to me. Plus, if you get them just for your stock rims, the money you don't spend on the rims will go towards the tires. I would rather sacrifice a few hundred dollars than have the aesthetics bad. I know the tires are more expensive for 20", but its definitely seems a bit easier. + you don't have to reset TPMS. Just my $.02.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
I say excellent choice on both wheels and tires. I have the Bilzzaks and they are great in the snow. You definitely need them! The P zero summer tires are absolutely worthless in the snow.

I also got a set of dedicated winter rims. It is definitely more of an investment up front, but I think it's the way to go for a few reasons. First of all, if they salt the roads where you are the salt will destroy the factory aluminum rims. The facory rims on my wifes car are so badly corroded after just five winters that they don't even hold air. The rims you chose may still have corrosion issues though. Personally I went with the 18 inch factory Camaro steel wheels. They are cheap and if you keep the paint on them you won't have corrosion issues. They are also really easy to refinish if you need to. Also, changing tires is easy when you have dedicated rims, just jack it up and bolt on the other set. If you use the same rims for both sets of tires you have to go somewhere to get the tires remounted. This is also a lot of wear and tear on the rims in my opinion. This is just asking for scratches and corrosion. Finally, the RS rims are really wide in the back. Wide wheels and snow don't mix. You want narrower wheels to get more force over area and better traction.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #4
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
^ great advice!
ssrs2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #5
PsychoZL1

Drives: 2015 Challenger SRT
The tires and rims will be fine. I had the same snow tires on my 1LT/RS back when I had it, except I went with the 17" option. The Camaro did fine in the snow with the Blizzak DM-V1's.

Also, the speedometer shouldn't be off too much because the overall diameter is pretty close to what you have stock. In this case, less than 1/2" difference, which won't be much of a difference if.
PsychoZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #6
Lord Ryan

Drives: Chevy Prelude RS V4 Hot Pink Ed.
I'm going with http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....lar=RS Package LT&autoModClar=RS Package

I don't want to switch out with the seasons.

Lord Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #7
uninamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleeeb View Post
I have heard blizzaks are great for snow, but I don't understand- Why not just keep your stock rims? That seems to be a little more cost effective to me. Plus, if you get them just for your stock rims, the money you don't spend on the rims will go towards the tires. I would rather sacrifice a few hundred dollars than have the aesthetics bad. I know the tires are more expensive for 20", but its definitely seems a bit easier. + you don't have to reset TPMS. Just my $.02.
If I keep my stock rims, I will have to constantly keep changing the tires and I was told that a tire can only go through so many swaps before the seal starts to go bad.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #8
uninamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ryan View Post
I'm going with http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....lar=RS Package LT&autoModClar=RS Package

I don't want to switch out with the seasons.
That is something I also considered; however, I already have really good summer tires and, if I got the all season, they would go to waste.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #9
suplex

Drives: 2011 Coupe, 1LT, A6, No RS Package.
I would recommend getting a set of Wheels to go with your Snow Tires this way you can just bolt them on or off, yourself, as necessary (I also like your comment about with all the changeovers will the seal be able to hold up over time).

One other thing, and a reason where you would have to get wheels to go with the snow tires, is that if you downsize your wheel and tire package (and there are calculators online that can show you how a smaller size wheel will give you the same rolling distance as long as you get the correct tire size to compensate for it) it will allow you to cut a narrower path through the snow and give you better traction in it as well.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #10
Bob54

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Convertible
I think that going with new rims and tires for the snow is the right way to go. I have a 1LT RS and went with an inexpensive 17 inch rim and Michelin X Ice II tires through the Tire Rack. The tires were good in the snow but quiet on clean highways, where the vast majority of my commute was done. For snow tires I believe you want a narrower tire that will push down through the snow so that may rule out using the RS rims. You will want to get a set of TPMS sensors for the new rims. I don't see how you could use the ones on your current rims without paying for mounting and balancing which doesn't seem cost effective. If you don't have the TPMS then you will probably not be able to get a shop to mount your tires due to legal issues.
Bob54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:31 AM   #11
Rudy@Tirerack

Drives: 1-800-428-8355 X4664
For the LT RS I recommend a 17 or 18 inch winter package. We have all the right products to get you a complete package. I a very experienced in knowing what fits and works on the new Gen Camaro's. If anyone needs help please let me know.

Also don't for get to reference "Rudy/Camaro5" on any online orders. This way the forum gets credit and I can review the order for proper fitment.
Rudy@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #12
philthy

Drives: 1971 Monte Carlo/2010 Camaro 2LT
Go with Rudy at Tirerack....he will hook you up. Very happy with my purchase from them!
1971 Monte Carlo
philthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #13
ichriscamaro
BlueDiamond

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE RRM
I will be using these. Performance Winter tires http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....LS&autoModClar=
ichriscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2lt rs, 2lt tires, blizzak, winter, winter tires