Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-02-2009, 09:22 PM   #1
Kodiak Ak

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
ADM Performance CAI???

Do you (ADM) offer a street/race CAI kit? A combination of the street and race kit.

I like that your street kit keeps the OEM washer reservoir protruding through the lid of the air box (it is a clean factory look), and I like the cold air scoop of the race kit providing fresh air to the filter.

My 2010 is a daily driver/weekend racer (drag and autocross) I live in BFE surrounded by farmer fields. There is a lot of bugs around hear, so I need to keep the OEM washer reservoir so i can keep the bug guts at bay. I like having the larger stock washer reservoir compared to a smaller aftermarket one. I also like the way you have incorporated the stock reservoir into your street kit.

Do you offer a CAI kit that offers the best of both worlds? Fresh cold air and the OEM washer reservoir or is there not enough room for both the cold air scoop and washer reservoir?

Have you thought about adding insulation to the inside of the filter box (heat shield) on the race kit?

Thanks in advance,

Last edited by Kodiak Ak; 11-02-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Kodiak Ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:43 PM   #2
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak Ak View Post
Do you (ADM) offer a street/race CAI kit? A combination of the street and race kit.

I like that your street kit keeps the OEM washer reservoir protruding through the lid of the air box (it is a clean factory look), and I like the cold air scoop of the race kit providing fresh air to the filter.

My 2010 is a daily driver/weekend racer (drag and autocross) I live in BFE surrounded by farmer fields. There is a lot of bugs around hear, so I need to keep the OEM washer reservoir so i can keep the bug guts at bay. I like having the larger stock washer reservoir compared to a smaller aftermarket one. I also like the way you have incorporated the stock reservoir into your street kit.

Do you offer a CAI kit that offers the best of both worlds? Fresh cold air and the OEM washer reservoir or is there not enough room for both the cold air intake and washer reservoir?

Have you thought about adding insulation to the inside of the filter box (heat shield) on the race kit?

Thanks in advance,
Can't speak for the extra air flow but anyone can add insulation to the inside of any box. Double sided tape or glue will do the trick.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:50 AM   #3
freemaSSon
Pat @ ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: CGM SS/RS M6
Quote:

Do you offer a CAI kit that offers the best of both worlds? Fresh cold air and the OEM washer reservoir or is there not enough room for both the cold air scoop and washer reservoir?

Thanks in advance,
SORRY FOR OUR LATE ARRIVAL BUT WE HAVE TAKEN THE TIME TO ANSWER ALL YOUR QUESTIONS.

We do not in fact offer a hybrid kit. One of the stock water bottle mounting bolts and the horn bolt are our mounting points. With the stock bottle in place it would be impossible to access these mounitng points for one and secondly the bottle is lower than the lowest point on the bottom of the scoop.

Quote:
As far as the ADM High Flow Air Box we feel based on our research that there is no appreciable benefit to insulate the box rather concentrating our efforts on the best seal from the heat of the engine compartment is where the benefit lies. We researched many things in the development of our kits. These are the things we found during our research.

The engine heat will heat all the objects under the hood (NO BRAINER). Our solutions to creating the coldest air stream possible and get the most accurate reading on the actual IAT’s ingested by the engine is where our aims were.

If the intake plumbing is metal then the radiant heat generated by the pipe has nearly an imperceptible effect on the IAT’s because of the length and diameter of the pipes, velocity of the air and actual temps the pipe is exposed too. If you place the MAF Sensor in that same tube then the sensor itself is directly affected by that radiant heat and it is transferred to the sensor and THUS CREATING HEAT SOAK. What we set out to do was locate the sensor in such a way that it prevents HEAT SOAK (as much as practicable).

With this same thought in mind we found that getting the best seal with our air box had a more dramatic effect than trying to insulate the air box compartment from the radiant heat. The temps inside our nearly completely sealed box showed no perceptible difference with regard to the radiant heat of the metal. Any form of heat barrier that is applied to the air box will degrade over time and will be collected by the filter causing it to become less and less efficient. That area of the engine is exposed to the elements and anything that is placed there will have to endure those conditions.

We have consistently sought ways to improve our air box. Our original design has always been to relocate the MAF Sensor into the cooler temps of the air box. We now completely isolate the MAF Sensor by rubber and a plastic MAF block on the sensor housing. The MAF housing itself is isolated from the side panel by rubber weather stripping which is placed on the inside diameter of the hole in the panel. This allows for the MAF Sensor to be as insolated from HEAT SOAK as possible. The timing tables are affected by the reading the sensor picks up is why we have gone to such lengths to maintain the best possible reading.

I apologize for the long reply but I felt compelled to give a snap shot of the thoughts and goals that went into developing the ADM High Flow Air Box kits.

HOME SPUN WATER BOTTLE SOLUTION:

A customer and I have created our own solution using a 26oz. bottle that we made a bracket for. I too am the daily driver that wants to WEEKEND DRAG RACE. I have found that the 26oz. bottle we used provides for quite a bit of fluid for keeping the windshield clear. I found that I am washing this car much more often than any other car I have owned. These times provide the perfect time to refill the bottle !

"There are two types of racers: cheaters...and losers."
Smokey Yunick

freemaSSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:14 PM   #4
Kodiak Ak

Thanks,

I could not of asked for a more descriptive answer.

Now I just need to decide if I want the race or street kit.
definitely going with ADM and Dynatech headers for the first mod.
Thanks again.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:28 PM   #5
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: 2016 CAMARO SS
Quote:
Thanks,

I could not of asked for a more descriptive answer.

Now I just need to decide if I want the race or street kit.
definitely going with ADM and Dynatech headers for the first mod.
Thanks again.
If you buy the race version,I will sell you a street lid for $20 more so that you can have both.

Andy
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:49 PM   #6
Kodiak Ak

So a street/race kit is possible?

I'm confused.

In post #3 it says
"We do not in fact offer a hybrid kit. One of the stock water bottle mounting bolts and the horn bolt are our mounting points. With the stock bottle in place it would be impossible to access these mounitng points for one and secondly the bottle is lower than the lowest point on the bottom of the scoop."
Thanks

Old 11-05-2009, 06:00 AM   #7
ADM PERFORMANCE

Quote:
So a street/race kit is possible?

I'm confused.

In post #3 it says
"We do not in fact offer a hybrid kit. One of the stock water bottle mounting bolts and the horn bolt are our mounting points. With the stock bottle in place it would be impossible to access these mounitng points for one and secondly the bottle is lower than the lowest point on the bottom of the scoop."
Thanks

We dont offer a Hybrid Advertised,but many of my customers ordered a scoop and a race lid after they had a street kit for some time.

We are just giving you options,not trying to confuse you.

Andy
Old 11-05-2009, 12:30 PM   #8
SRT10KLLR

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I bought the Race kit with the extra Street lid. This way it could be driven daily with the Street version then easily switched to the Race version for the track or weekend.
SRT10KLLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:06 PM   #9
Kodiak Ak

Thanks

Old 11-05-2009, 05:45 PM   #10
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
oh switch at the track..
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:24 AM   #11
ADM PERFORMANCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ4Life View Post
oh switch at the track..

It would be a little work to do at the track,but not out of the question.

Andy