#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-10-2018, 06:45 PM   #1
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports

Drives: 2009 CTS-V, 2008 C6Z06
Detailed review of a Mamo Motorsports ported TB

Guys,

I have helped alot of you at this point with my ported LT1 / LT4 throttle bodies which IMO is one of the best bang for the buck upgrades you will ever experience. While that sounds like a convenient sales pitch, coming from a guy who places a high value on his reputation (and who has decades of experience in this industry) I simply wouldn't make a statement like that unless I felt it was true. When you factor in the gains versus cost and the 10-15 minute cake installation, it really just doesnt get any better at this price point (under $400 shipped to your door). Also the reality of the situation is my ported throttle body cures a problematic design issue with the OEM part....that's why this upgrade is such a significant improvement in responsiveness, drivability, and increases torque and horsepower output.

Getting on with the real reason I decided to start this thread, I recently received an email from one of my customers that was so detailed and well written I requested his permission to post it on the forums (he isn't a member yet but will be signing up on this forum soon!).

Its very informative in my opinion and written from the point of view of the end user who was uncertain about exactly what he was going to experience when I mailed it to him but was looking forward to it based on all the good reviews he has read.

Here it is copied and pasted below exactly how I received it.....I think its a good read, especially helpful from the standpoint of a perspective buyer which is why I took the time to share.

Jim......once again....thanks for the well thought out email and for taking the time to share your experience with me

Cheers,
Tony

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tony,
I received your ported TB early this afternoon, installed it and spent the rest of the day driving my ZL1 all over hell's half acre to give my car and your TB a chance to get acquainted. Below is a synopsis of my driving impressions.

Review date: 09 June 2018
Wx: Sunny, Clear, Air Temp 90deg, Humidity 72%, Baro 30.02
Vehicle: 2018 ZL1 A10, 3100 miles, no modifications (except ported TB), Shell 93 pump gas, operated mostly in Sport Mode with occasional runs in Track Mode

Review Conditions: No effect on idle. Car started and ran as normal with a slight increase in audible S/C noise when revving. Drove the car for 127 miles varying throttle position from low speed lugging around town, idling in drive, idling in park, heat soaking twice after highway runs then starting up again and finally, several high-speed WOT runs. Specifically looked for how the car responded under part-throttle, moderate acceleration then backing off before resuming moderate throttle and rolling WOT at various speeds.

Impressions: The car never hesitated or bogged down under any of the conditions stated above. Throttle response was significantly smoother through the transition of part throttle to moderate or WOT. Previously, the car seemed to buck when stepping on the gas and then lunge forward. Transition is much smoother with less right foot pressure needed to get things going. The same is also true when backing off the throttle then stepping down again. This is very noticeable when exiting corners under part throttle then mashing it down. The bucking is all but absent making for a smooth and confidence-inspiring experience.

The closest thing I can relate this feeling to is my experience riding two very different motorcycles from Kawasaki; the n/a 900 Ninja and the GPZ 750 Turbo. Power from the Ninja mill was very linear and would build in a smooth, controlled manner. You could confidently throw it into a corner and then roll-on the throttle upon exit with no fear. On the other hand, the Turbo was either mildly sedate or with just a little more twist of the wrist, ferocious with stupid-fast acceleration and no in-between. The bike would buck as I tried to find the right throttle position. The ZL1 throttle feels similar in how it makes the car behave into and out of corners. Not anymore!

I feel more pressure against the seat when accelerating from a standstill and especially from low-speed to WOT jaunt. Power delivery is much more linear with speed building noticeably quicker. Not a huge difference but, a noticeable difference. Equally noticeable was how much quicker the car settled down into a steady-state after reaching speed. Whether it was 50mph or 3 x 50mph, once the car reached the desired speed it calmed right down and sailed smoothly along. The Boost Guage is more lively now, moving much quicker from vacuum to boost with just the slightest touch of the throttle.

A curious side-effect that jumped out at me was how long the car remained in 'Performance Mode' when pushed. The xmsn would hold a lower gear longer before shifting. I repeated this effect several times accelerating hard then decelerating just as hard while negotiating corners or running a straight section of road. The shift point is noticeably longer. Almost as if the car is begging for more right-foot fun and holding out a little more before finally calming down and up-shifting. I'm going to keep playing with this aspect and see what to make of it.

Last item of note is the amount of soot produced with the new TB. Previously, under hard acceleration, the inner tailpipes would be as black as the bottom of a mineshaft with a thick layer. Now, there is significantly less soot and even after multiple hard runs, I can still see chrome at the tips. There's still plenty of soot, just not anywhere near as much as before. This tells me the AFR has changed and the engine is running leaner but not so lean as to be of concern.

Summary: Tony, as you well know by now, your ported TB for the LT4 is a home run. A great piece of gear that delivers in all areas of performance. Well Done!

Regards,
Jim Aldridge

P.S. For 2017-18 ZL1 owners, the water deflector in the hood is really an air extractor when removed. Front end of the car really settles down at speed when it's removed!

Tony @ Mamo Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:40 PM   #2
ZedLOne

Drives: 2018 ZL1 HMB 6spd
Talking ThanksTM

Thanks for sharing TM
ZedLOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:39 AM   #3
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Great review. I installed mine at about 1200 miles as well. This review very accurately describes my experience too. I have installed two TBs, the one on my Camaro and one on my GTO. Based on my experience with lots of mods, from air intakes to milled heads, a ported TB is an excellent bang for the buck modification.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:25 AM   #4
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
I'm not here to refute anything Mr. Aldridge stated in his email. He feels the Mamo TB gives his car a noticeable performance improvement and that's great. My experience, however, was just the opposite. I had a Mamo TB on my car for over a month before returning back to stock. I found the Mamo TB provided no perceptible performance gains. My car still exhibited the same off-idle lag it did with the stock TB. If anything, idle felt slightly rougher with the Mamo TB. I have a P3 Guage and I could see the ECU hunting a slightly broader rpm range at idle. And before you say I should have disconnected the battery to reset the ECU, I did.

I have an M6 ZL1 and will admit I've never done any 0-60 pulls with my car so it's possible transmission and driving habits could explain the differences Mr Aldridge and I have with this mod. While many have found the Mamo TB provides good bang for the buck there are a few of us that have had the opposite experience. I just wanted to point this out.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:09 AM   #5
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
I have the TM TB on my 2018 ZL1 and noticed right out of the gait much better response off idle and this is with an 10. Whether I’m making more power I can say that it feels like I am but no way to tell without a dyno. Over all experiences may vary from car to car. Some might see the Gold dress and some the blue.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:06 PM   #6
greaser2

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1 KG
Same positive experience for me. Noticeable difference on a car that is already so damn good and for less then $500.
greaser2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:53 PM   #7
CaliSpecial

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8 Convertible
Yep, my experience was also similar to the OP (2018 2SS A8)
1800 miles in and still loving it. I should add that I fitted a Green Filter at the same time.
CaliSpecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:23 PM   #8
VADERZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
My expereince was good also when on my ZL1 1LE. Son took if off and put it on his Z06 then refused to give it back. Sold the 1LE and now have ZL1 a10, need to buy another one.
VADERZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:30 PM   #9
big dave

Drives: 2017 ZL1
It sounds like a good mod but I'm wondering if there is any significant performance gain .Is it just a mod you feel in your seat of the pants on initial take off, then trails off once you get up on the rpm band? Any flow number or dyno comparisons?
'13 ZL1 BRM A6. 11.591 @ 119.2 factory stock with a 1.68 60'! Best stock mph 121.8. 11.29 @ 123 RotoFab, drag radials and skinnies. 4360# raceweight.
http://youtu.be/yggIA3C_kkA 2014... back to stock
http://youtu.be/spQLaTWbThs 2013... stock & RotoFab
big dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:15 PM   #10
Smuggler67

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
All, following up on the review Tony posted for me, it looks like my very lengthy response disappeared into the no-zone so I'll be brief. No dyno numbers or hard data to back up my impressions. it's all subjective. I did pile up another 88 miles today with much lower air temps and humidity (69deg, 70%). Felt performance improved especially low-speed passing from 35-80mph. Approximately 2 sec quicker passing times using PDR and fixed points of reference along road with known distances. Not exactly precise but I was able to repeat performance.

Everyday driving is smooth with no hesitation, bogging or stumbling evident. Acceleration is smooth and stronger without stepping into boost. When under boost car 'feels' like it is pulling harder. Looking at various air intake options next.
Smuggler67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:15 PM   #11
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports

Drives: 2009 CTS-V, 2008 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by big dave View Post
It sounds like a good mod but I'm wondering if there is any significant performance gain .Is it just a mod you feel in your seat of the pants on initial take off, then trails off once you get up on the rpm band? Any flow number or dyno comparisons?
Here you go....same dyno....same day.....TB swapped when the car was literally sitting on the rollers.

The gains you guys are feeling are real....less restriction and an additional 18% gain in peak flow (+ 150 CFM from the porting) in front of that hungry blower is going to make more power without question.

Area under the curve gains are what you guys are really feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
I'm not here to refute anything Mr. Aldridge stated in his email. He feels the Mamo TB gives his car a noticeable performance improvement and that's great. My experience, however, was just the opposite. I had a Mamo TB on my car for over a month before returning back to stock. I found the Mamo TB provided no perceptible performance gains. My car still exhibited the same off-idle lag it did with the stock TB. If anything, idle felt slightly rougher with the Mamo TB. I have a P3 Guage and I could see the ECU hunting a slightly broader rpm range at idle. And before you say I should have disconnected the battery to reset the ECU, I did.

I have an M6 ZL1 and will admit I've never done any 0-60 pulls with my car so it's possible transmission and driving habits could explain the differences Mr Aldridge and I have with this mod. While many have found the Mamo TB provides good bang for the buck there are a few of us that have had the opposite experience. I just wanted to point this out.
Let me send you another TB to try.....not sure what you did with the first one. If you don't like it I will refund all your money and cover freight both ways. You may have gotten one that was too aggressive for your car and you didnt see a gain because it was running slightly lean. Also it depends on other variables as well including what else you might have also had installed at the time.

Bottom line give me the opportunity to show you just how good this mod is by sending you another qualified unit. If your willing to do the swap you wont have any financial downside by trying a new TB. I had a few defective units in a batch from awhile back....you may have gotten one of them as well.

Bottom line....I stand behind my products....I know they work and my ported TB should be on everyone's shortlist.....its a fantastic upgrade for modest dollars spent.

Email me if you would like to get something going.....do it right away while I have a few pieces left in my inventory.....I just finished running TB's and have shipped most of my older orders and built a few for stock

tony@mamomotorsports.com

-Tony
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:34 AM   #12
Gabhart

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports View Post
Here you go....same dyno....same day.....TB swapped when the car was literally sitting on the rollers.

The gains you guys are feeling are real....less restriction and an additional 18% gain in peak flow (+ 150 CFM from the porting) in front of that hungry blower is going to make more power without question.

Area under the curve gains are what you guys are really feeling

Let me send you another TB to try.....not sure what you did with the first one. If you don't like it I will refund all your money and cover freight both ways. You may have gotten one that was too aggressive for your car and you didnt see a gain because it was running slightly lean. Also it depends on other variables as well including what else you might have also had installed at the time.

Bottom line give me the opportunity to show you just how good this mod is by sending you another qualified unit. If your willing to do the swap you wont have any financial downside by trying a new TB. I had a few defective units in a batch from awhile back....you may have gotten one of them as well.

Bottom line....I stand behind my products....I know they work and my ported TB should be on everyone's shortlist.....its a fantastic upgrade for modest dollars spent.

Email me if you would like to get something going.....do it right away while I have a few pieces left in my inventory.....I just finished running TB's and have shipped most of my older orders and built a few for stock

tony@mamomotorsports.com

-Tony
This is fantastic customer service. Maybe its just a show for the forum since I have not dealt with Tony (yet) to speak from experience. Great none the less. TB is on my list!
Gabhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:18 AM   #13
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports View Post

tony@mamomotorsports.com

-Tony
I appreciate the offer. It's always refreshing to see a vendor stand by their product. Since I had your throttle body longer than 30 days I didn't think a refund or exchange was an option. I sold the TB to another forum member who last I knew was satisfied with its performance. Interestingly he also has an A10 ZL1.

As far as variables, my car is completely stock except for a Green drop-in filter which has been on the car since last summer.

I really believe my driving habits played a big role as to why I didn't see any performance gains. I'm very satisfied with my car's performance so I'm going to stay with the stock TB for now.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:08 AM   #14
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Dyno info is dyno info but I wish i would of tested to see if I saw power increase on the rollers...what about some 3rd gear pulls on the road with a live data recording software.. Any useful info? And results like I'm seeing with intake testing?

Been doing some testing w Vararam Industries basically Rotofab, CAI, and Stock cut box vs. his prototype(3d printed unit the real unit should be available in 3 weeks so I can show at cfest)

I have the TM TB but at the same time I did a pulley and headers w a tune it really drove incredible after the mods. Sorry i got off point.. Anyhow if you were to hook up your data software you would see that automatically 5 degrees of knock timing, high MV on 02s, and about 17 something degrees timing. the cut box (ANGLED to where the channel hits the green filter dead on the box does not sit the grommets and the hose clamp will be off center to the tab by the intake elbow if you try this) tested the best of the 2 largest competitors. It knocked the knock timing down to 2.5, MV were better, and saw about 1/2 lb of boost, still about 17 degrees total timing.

The 3d printed test mule showed 0 degrees of knock, 830 MV on 02s, another half pound of boost, 19.7 timing now.. the vettes have shown up to 23 degrees. Id like to be there hopefully then your making real power and can start tuning around it.

The TM TB with a good intake makes this thing drive so unbelievable now from slow starts no bogs or shutter.

I'm sad to say I may be donating to the wifes eforce I found a blower porter that will port my blower for free for some advertising exposure.. Normally i wouldn't sink a lot money in to a baby blower but all the work I've done will transfer to a 2650 upgrade later.

Tony will the TB on my Zl1 Lt4 work on my wifes SS with a LT1 and eforce blower?

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote