Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 10-20-2017, 04:35 PM   #15
Notilloc

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro SS 1LE
If you're sticking with a 20inch wheel I highly recommend a Goodyear F1 Supercar 3 285/30/20 on a 10 or 10.5inch wheel. They are quite a bit less expensive than the Michelins and in my opinion a better tire on the track. They aren't as good in the rain as the Michelin but still fine as long as you still have tread. The Supercar 3 is what is on the new 2017 SS 1LE and it's a great tire.
Notilloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:23 PM   #16
MJanowich
Door ding magnet

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Here's a Tire Rack test of 3 of the top new Max Performance Summer tires.
Continental ExtremeContact Sport, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, Pirelli P Zero PZ4. In warm conditions, a Max Performance Summer tire will almost always perform better than an All Season tire in the rain, so don't equate Summer tire with dry.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=223

The next category up, Extreme Performance Summer reviews, from 2016. Don't compare directly to the Max Performance review. They may have used a different car. They all seem to have less tread grooves than the Max Summer tires, so wet performance will probably be lower in heavy rain conditions, but still plenty safe.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=219

If you're doing that much driving just to get to the track, I wouldn't bother with the Competition level tires. May as well throw money out the window as you wear off tire just getting there.

"When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
MJanowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:30 AM   #17
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Just wonderful information guys, I greatly appreciate it all and feel like I have a path to take. I feel like 20x10's all around is what I want. Will I have any rubbing issues with the 285/30's with the lowered 2010?

I also take it that no one has run Vreds like I do on the track. It's a pretty popular tire on the track in Europe and I will probably see how they stack up with the Michelin PS4S or Supercar 3's. I feel like I have burnt a whole in the internet with so much searching and reading over the past weeks. You guys have been a huge help in pointing me in directions to help me make a decision that will be most beneficial to us and our plans for next year.

I do feel like if I had a more competition type tire, I would wear it out traveling all over before I really had some track time. We do want to get to the track more next year than we did this year, but I also know that 'life/work' gets in the way a lot also. But I feel better going with something that we will enjoy ALL the time, no matter where we are, what we are doing with the car, or how much difficult weather tries to slow us down.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:33 PM   #18
Synner

Drives: cars
Rubbing depends on rim/offset. 285 aint nothing as long as the person picking the offset knows what he's doing, lowered or not. I would aim for at least a 295 but a 305 on a 19" is optimal. Just have it pushed out so you can add a lot of camber and I'd highly recommend camber plates, it would fit with your track plus street desires. A jack and an allen wrench gets you a track setting which will greatly extend tire life. These pigs need camber.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:40 AM   #19
Bjpusf

Drives: 2010 2ss
I use 325s' square on a 19X10.75 +15 wheel with maximum camber and I haven't found anything that works better yet. I don't have camber plates, but I would definitely advise the use of plates so that you can really get the most for your money.
Bjpusf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:41 PM   #20
TWOFORTYZ

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
The Super Sports are about like my Vorti's and should do well in occasional wet conditions. I am not looking for an all-season tire, but a performance tire that is also good in wet conditions.

Good advice from all, helps me do more narrowed research.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3645/...189b1029_b.jpg

I share with you the picture that made my decision years ago.

Toyo R1R. My all time favorite car tire, I did plenty of three wheeling with them under the 240Z. I used them for commuting and "road racing" at night with very cold road temps from 15* to 118* they worked great. Obviously being an R compound tire they are a bit less willing to grip below freezing (advised not to be used below freezing, didn't care, had no issues in 14,000 miles). They still work great after warming up for a mile or two. I was not held anywhere near the speed limit and tried to hydroplane, going up to 125 in a torrential downpour. Unfortunately not available in the large sizes that we need.

I used them for power commuting, they worked great. Before you judge and assume I was a low speed freeway cruiser, my commute pace is faster than should be discussed in public, I put these tires through their paces many times, in all conditions. I absolutely loved them.

I believe the NT05 is the same compound but with a horrible tread pattern, I will not use them in rain.