Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-21-2014, 12:25 PM   #1
xsurferx

Drives: 2010 SS, Red and white
Strange issue after CAI install

I am new to the forum, unsure where to post this. Mods feel free to move the thread.

I have a 2010 SS, manual tran, muffler delete, and now a cold air intake. I bought a specter kit, had one on an RS with no issue. After doing the install of the CAI i am unable to give the car full throttle. it will throw a CEL and kill the car. I have 4 codes after that, one for TPS sensor, 3 for the throttle body. If needed i can go get the code numbers. Never had this problem until cai was installed. I have checked the wiring. Only thing that got unplugged to do the install was the MAF. That plug is solid. I checked all the hose clamps and nothing is loose anywhere. Additionally i am able to give the car full throttle in 3rd gear on but 1st and second cause the issue above.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have no issue returning the cai if thats the solution to the problem.
xsurferx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:27 PM   #2
OK2DRUL
ace5.org (Atlanta Club)

Drives: 2010 Black/IOM 2SS LS3
It's most likely the CAI as this is the only change you state you made recently to the car.I would return it and buy one from a more reputable company. I personally don't trust performance parts that are sold at AutoZone. There's plenty floating around the classifieds in the V8 bolt-ons section that would be equivalent in price and not cause issues.

OK2DRUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:28 PM   #3
f5journal
Senior Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2011 SS/RS manual - White
MAF backwards?
Former '68 and '69 Z/28 Owner...........Now sporting around in a 2011 RS/SS with........Kooks LT's and cats, JRE tune, CAI, scoop, ZL1 Bumper conversion, custom ZL-1 grille, halo harness, Painted silver stripes, GM GFX, black painted lower edge of skirts and rear bumper. MGW shifter.....and now a 3.91 1LE diff
f5journal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:29 PM   #4
karnov

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Hard to say without seeing the other three codes, but could be a bad MAF or maybe the MAF just needs cleaning. I have heard of MAF sensors being damaged while installing a CAI, but try cleaning it with some MAF cleaner first to see if it fixes the problem.
karnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:49 PM   #5
Hannibal

Drives: Camaro SS & ZL1
You may have one of the weak MAF sensors. Take it out and check the code on it. There are several threads here on how to determine if you have one.

If it turns out that you have a weak MAF, Jannetty can get you one of the strong MAFs and your issue should go away.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:53 PM   #6
436SS

Drives: 2010 1SS
Read this thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291436
436SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:03 PM   #7
RubberChicken

Drives: 2011 IBM 1LT w white Rally Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5journal View Post
MAF backwards?
That was my problem when I put in my CAI. But in my case the car would start up and then the engine would die a few seconds later. His problem sounds like a dirty or bad MAF.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:45 PM   #8
xsurferx

Codes are p0121(throttle pedal position sensor A) p1516 (throttle actuator module) p2101 (throttle actuator control motor) p2119 (throttle actuator control)
Old 04-21-2014, 08:45 PM   #9
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsurferx View Post
Codes are p0121(throttle pedal position sensor A) p1516 (throttle actuator module) p2101 (throttle actuator control motor) p2119 (throttle actuator control)

Are you sure you don't have a VMAX throttlebody on there?

Never mind!
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:46 PM   #10
jbrown13

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5journal View Post
MAF backwards?
Not really possible to install MAF Sensor backwards as the screw holes are not symmetrical.
jbrown13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:56 PM   #11
xsurferx

After about 4 hours of screwing around with this I found a small nic in a wire going to the maf, I fixed that and then rewrapped the whole set of wires going to the sensor. That did nothing unfortunately. The car runs great until I give it full throttle. Then the car will run until 6000 rpm and immediately throw a cel and die. It will then refuse to start until I clear the cel. I am most likely going to return this kit and move on to a k&n along with my nightfury cam, just wanted to see what gains the cold air did before I did both at the same time. Guess I should stop being so curious. Thank you guys for all the help.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:50 PM   #12
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Did you clean the maf? Is that an oiled filter? Have you tried putting the stock box back on? A cai alone should not cause this...........whatever the brand.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:04 AM   #13
Ace1USMC

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsurferx View Post
I am most likely going to return this kit and move on to a k&n along with my nightfury cam, just wanted to see what gains the cold air did before I did both at the same time. Guess I should stop being so curious. Thank you guys for all the help.
I'm sure I'll stir up a hornet's nest with this - but in my opinion and experience, a CAI is a total waste of money. They look cool - but that's a lotta bread just to look cool. I actually have facts to back up my opinion.

My buddy and I both have '11 SS LS3 cars. We both got the EXACT same parts, installed them, etc. Camshafts (identical), rocker trunions, oil pump, pushrods, timing chain, headers, full exhaust - I mean every last part was identical - except for the fact that he also bought a CAI, and I thought it wasn't gonna be worth the money, and wanted to see dyno results first. We both got our cars tuned by the same expert LS tuner guy - he used the same tune for both of our cars. My buddy's car with CAI made 2.9 hp more, and I made 4 lb/ft tq more than his. That's it. To me, that proves CAI's aren't worth the money or hype - but still no one ever believes or listens even...

The airflow limitation on these cars is in the heads. The intake and stock airbox can easily outflow the stock heads - especially when you don't have a bumpier camshaft.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:01 AM   #14
xsurferx

i took the maf out and cleaned it with maf cleaner then let it dry on paper towels and put it back in. Still did nothing. It is also a strong maf (K16) I really think the intake is just crap. I will post pictures when i get out of work today and can get back to my garage. It is mostly made of flimsy rubber (should of been the first hint when i opened the box). Ace, i agree it is alot of money to look cool and i would put my stock one back however, I originally had an RS that i bought new, didn't really like it very much after i drove a couple friends cars, they all had SS camaros. I found this SS in the same color scheme as mine and had to have it. I am not the first owner. The person before me felt the need (for what reason i have no idea) to drill a 3in diameter hole in the stock air box, after the filter of course, i was concerned it would allow the motor to suck up something it shouldn't so i figured cai was the way to go.