Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 04-08-2018, 03:13 PM   #1
Tomsusername

Drives: Velvet Blue Metallic 2015 1SS 1LE
New 1LE, New tires: Indy 500's on the track?

Hi guys!

As this is my first post, I guess I'll get down to the details. New 1LE owner as of December 2017 in Boston MA. Car is a 2015 1SS RS 1LE, Velvet Blue Metallic. Got it with 8,800 miles on it, now I'm at 12,000. Say what you will, but the car is my daily driver, and running on BFG Comp-2 A/S's. They've worked well for a New England winter.

I've got a trip to Tail of the Dragon coming up at the end of the month, and I think tires are the best upgrade I can make.

The PS4S has been the front runner in my mind for a while now. I consistently here that the only way you can do better is if you go to a dedicated track tire. With that being said... I have indeed been lurking on here and using the search function.

I know that some of the guys on here report Michelins getting a little greasy when they heat up at the track (At least with the MPSS)... and I do intend on doing some SCCA Track Night in America events with the car. I've also read that the Goodyears that come on the car are phenomenal at the track. However, as I daily drive this car in New England (if you don't like the weather, wait a minute), I don't consider these tires an option.

Then I saw the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's. I know a bunch of you guys have seen that the reviews for them are fantastic. And, do I really need to say anything about the price vs. the PS4S? However, I can't seem to find anyone (on Camaro5) who's had experience with them on the track.

So to ask the obvious... um... Has anyone here had experience with them on the track? Yes, I know they won't have the grip of the PS4S, but has anyone run into them overheating, cording, or doing anything else funky when wrung out?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Tomsusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:28 PM   #2
Venomcustom
Hard to want.

Drives: 2020 red hot 1SS 1LE
I just put them on my 1le. They are fantastic in cold temps and in the rain.( not that I ever drive in thr rain) lol
I have heard they are not very good on the track. Good road tire just not so great at the limit. That being said the original Goodyear eagle f1 tires the 1le came with are a very sticky tire and fantastic on track. How hard do you olan on pushing the car through the tail?
Yes the pilot super sports can get greasy but would still be better than the Firehawks. Just far more expensive
Venomcustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:52 PM   #3
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Welcome to the Forum and you do have a beautiful set of wheels. Retired LEO out of Maine, spent lots of time in Boston and surrounds areas. Now enjoying my Camaro here in Coastal NC, flat roads!
Old 04-08-2018, 08:03 PM   #4
Venomcustom
Hard to want.

And yes. Welcome and love the color of your 1le!!
Old 04-08-2018, 10:28 PM   #5
Tomsusername

Thanks guys! Really appreciate it. Also, was looking for a 1LE for a while before I pounced on this one. (I was actually tracking the price drops on a triple-black car at a dealer for 3 months before it got snatched from underneath me.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomcustom View Post
How hard do you plan on pushing the car through the tail?
Yes the pilot super sports can get greasy but would still be better than the Firehawks. Just far more expensive
Thanks for giving me an honest opinion on that. I can't say for certain as I have no idea how much "20-something-year-old" is left in my mind. I have SCCA track & Auto-x experience, and have pushed a 4th-gen Z/28 to the point where the sport comp-2's started to overheat (closed course), but I'm not sure that says many positive things about me as a driver.

However, I am going with an online-based car club, and would love to be the fastest thing there. So-far, the group is composed of a lot of Miatas, a supercharged Toyota Yaris, a few S2K's, a B5 Audi S4, a Focus ST, a Trailblazer SS, Misc. Subarus, and my buddy's SRT-8 Charger.

With a lot of light and nimble things showing up, being fastest may be a pipe-dream, but I assure you I don't intend on being an idiot. I don't think it's a good idea to try to over-drive the car on what's still a public road.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:37 PM   #6
Andoskyy

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS/RS 1LE
I cant tell from your post, but are you looking for the best track tire, or the best year round tire that's also good on the track because this is your daily?

I think you're far better off getting a new set of wheels and dedicated winter tires, then stick with Goodyears for the summer/track. There's a reason they put them on stock...they're incredible.

I'm also in MA. My 1LE is stored in the winter, but when I take it out in April, it's damn scary with the Goodyears on at 40 degrees. Yes, I can get by, but I know in a panic stop, it'd be bad news. Tires pretty much turn to plastic like a Hot Wheels.

Might not be as drastic with the PSS or 500's, but they're still dedicated summer tires that'll make you need to change your underwear in cold or snowy conditions.
Andoskyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:07 PM   #7
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
I have 3 sets of wheel/tire combinations I use.
Stock set (if it goes to a shop for work/alignment)
19X10 CCW's with RE-71 (used for street and rain tires at the track)
18X11 and 18X12 for track use with Hoosier's installed.

HP tires for summer use don't work well below 45 degrees.
Winter/summer tires lose grip when hot at the track.

Pick your poison - or run 2 sets of wheels and swap them.
I recommend a summer tire/wheel combo, and use something different for winter.
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:59 PM   #8
Tomsusername

Oh no, I understand. I intend on using these tires for summer only. It's just that you can never count on New England weather to behave logically. Come the end of fall, I'm getting another set of wheels to mount the comp-2 A/S's on.

Also, I think I'm leaning toward the PS4S's right now. Seems like it would be better for a daily driver that see's the occasional track day.

How many miles do you guys average on the Goodyears, anyway?
Old 04-15-2018, 01:41 PM   #9
rich2342

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro SS
- No kidding on the tires.. Today is 32 degrees and was snow/sleet. Just went on a test drive was going gingerly with the salesman turning onto a street the rear stepped out just enough to poop his pants. I let off quickly and brought it back in line. But was good for a laugh.

What is a good balance of tire for summer/handling and all weather, nothing....?
rich2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:29 PM   #10
Venomcustom
Hard to want.

The Firehawk indy tires I put on have been excellent in the cold or wet weather. Snow is always an issue but so far I am really digging the new tires. They actually hook up pretty well in the cold Chicago spring weather.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:47 PM   #11
Tomsusername

If snow is in the mix, there's nothing wrong with the BFG A/S's as an all around. it's a fine tire.

As for the summer tire I'm looking for, I just pulled the trigger on a set of Continental Extremecontact Sport's. I'll post how I like them once I get a good understanding of them.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:35 PM   #12
608RS

Drives: 2015 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomcustom View Post
The Firehawk indy tires I put on have been excellent in the cold or wet weather. Snow is always an issue but so far I am really digging the new tires. They actually hook up pretty well in the cold Chicago spring weather.
i'm putting my Indy 500 tires on this week or next, can't wait to try them out!

2015 Camaro 2ss, NicKey Performance built/tuned
608RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:02 PM   #13
hkittrell

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS/RS 1LE
One word...CALIFORNIA
hkittrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:41 AM   #14
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 608RS View Post
i'm putting my Indy 500 tires on this week or next, can't wait to try them out!
Post up a review when you do - I'm leaning strongly towards these for my next set of all-arounders.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote