Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-08-2018, 12:30 AM   #15
GatorGreg

Drives: '14 Blue Ray ("Suite Madame Blue")
Quote:
Originally Posted by 427K View Post
Is that 120 with or with out close? In my case I wouldn't let any type of girl sit over the plastic protection cover, it wont hold. Are u adding any sort of paint protection to the side rear fender? I could see a lot of scratches.
Good point - I think a couple of big beach towels would protect the paint.
GatorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 12:41 AM   #16
GatorGreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
are you sure this doesnt somehow tie in with your previous thread?
LOL - suddenly I’m craving Chick-fil-A
Old 09-08-2018, 12:49 AM   #17
GatorGreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
I've done several homecoming parades, with two people sitting on the rear seat backs with no issues whatsoever.

Tell them to get more cars.
Thanks, yeah 2 people seems to be the norm - I think I’ll tell them I can only do 3 at most.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:43 AM   #18
Dogmeat

Drives: 2011 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 427K View Post
Is that 120 with or with out close?
"CLOSE"...as in...."Boy, that was too close for comfort"

"CLOTHES"...as in...."Is that with them wearing clothes, or not?"

Where did you go to school?!
Old 09-08-2018, 06:17 AM   #19
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
even if they were 100 lbs each, 500-600 lbs in the back over the rear tires would probably put the suspension on the stop pads. 3 kids is reasonable. careful they don't poke thru your rear seat with high heels.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:44 AM   #20
GatorGreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurshot View Post
even if they were 100 lbs each, 500-600 lbs in the back over the rear tires would probably put the suspension on the stop pads. 3 kids is reasonable. careful they don't poke thru your rear seat with high heels.
Thanks, I hadn't even thought about that.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:48 AM   #21
GatorGreg

Anyone remember the name of the thread here that had pics of a bunch of Camaros being used in a parade? I'm curious to see if any of them had more than 2 people sitting on the back.

Edit: I found it - it was BehindBluels' Indy 500 parade thread - see link below.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529987

Three of the 5th gen's in the parade actually have 3 adults in the back and some of them look pretty wide/heavy, so I'm thinking 5 teenage girls in the back and 1 in the passenger seat might actually work?

Last edited by GatorGreg; 09-08-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:20 AM   #22
swampcritter

Drives: 2014 Camaro LS / 13 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurshot View Post
He'll probably have high heels poked through roof when he gets done.
swampcritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:33 AM   #23
GatorGreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampcritter View Post
He'll probably have high heels poked through roof when he gets done.
LOL - I think there was a Brady Bunch episode where that happened when Greg borrowed Mr. Brady's vert for a date
Old 09-08-2018, 09:39 AM   #24
EMB135Driver
Jedi Master

Drives: Boeing 757/767+2010 IBM 2SS
You should sell your Camaro....a true Camaro lover would never subject his ride to such abuse....probably wouldn’t even consider it.....the useful load is based on a max of 4 adults (2 pretty small adults in the back).....6 teenagers and you, even at 120 a piece is 720 lbs.....I’m 4000 miles away right now but would guess that exceeds the max useful load.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:43 AM   #25
strykerg8gt

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorGreg View Post
Anyone remember the name of the thread here that had pics of a bunch of Camaros being used in a parade? I'm curious to see if any of them had more than 2 people sitting on the back.

Edit: I found it - it was BehindBluels' Indy 500 parade thread - see link below.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529987

Three of the 5th gen's in the parade actually have 3 adults in the back and some of them look pretty wide/heavy, so I'm thinking 5 teenage girls in the back and 1 in the passenger seat might actually work?
Were those privately owned Camaros? I thought those were owned by GM and being used by the track as a promotional tool. If that's the case, I'm sure they didn't mind them being damaged.
strykerg8gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:50 AM   #26
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
The tonneau cover does nothing to support weight, its more rather a nice cover and your frame work for the convertible top folds up into the front of the trunk as you know. And have to agree unless they are hungry heifers 120 is a bit on the high side for a teen age girl. I would say from experience when I had my 11 2ssrs vert it can support some good weight and would recommend spreading it around. Heck.... drove with 2 x 4s , even a queen mattress laying out the back before ...LOL stuck up in the back seat, or riding on the console life happens..LOL I would recommend the sport bar for the girls to fit on the side and hold on and some pillows to spread the load....lol

https://www.lingenfelter.com/product...l#.W5Pgz_ZFy70

https://www.phastekperformance.com/2...43-7000-00.htm

Good excuse to spend the money IMO...lol justify the mod.....old timer here. Seen many in the backs of Camaros at parades.... three on the back two on the side and 5mph Max.....
Old 09-08-2018, 09:58 AM   #27
GatorGreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMB135Driver View Post
You should sell your Camaro....a true Camaro lover would never subject his ride to such abuse....probably wouldn’t even consider it.....the useful load is based on a max of 4 adults (2 pretty small adults in the back).....6 teenagers and you, even at 120 a piece is 720 lbs.....I’m 4000 miles away right now but would guess that exceeds the max useful load.
The sticker in my door jamb says the GVWR is 4,817 pounds, but I don't know what the exact curb weight is though. Assuming it's 4,000 pounds that would give me 817 pounds to play with, right? I'm about 200 so that would only leave 617 for the girls.

617/5 girls =123 average so this should work for 5 girls assuming my estimates are correct.

But 120x6 girls=720 720+200 for me = 920 920-817=103 over the GVWR so 6 girls would push it over the GVWR.

However, the GVWR is presumably set for normal driving - not putzing along in a parade - so I'm not too worried about exceeding the GVWR for a short period. I'm more worried about busting the top or the plastic part that they would be sitting on.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:04 AM   #28
GatorGreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by strykerg8gt View Post
Were those privately owned Camaros? I thought those were owned by GM and being used by the track as a promotional tool. If that's the case, I'm sure they didn't mind them being damaged.
Good point - although one could argue that they were giving their tacit approval / blessing to their customers having 3 adults sit there for parade purposes since they themselves were modeling the bad behavior Not that it really matters since I'm out of warranty anyway.