Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 09:27 PM   #71
wayne watson

Drives: 2014 camaro ss ,1967 chevelle ss,
radar detectors? what is this 1988? all they mean now is, your busted bitch
Old 01-14-2015, 09:29 PM   #72
31B

Drives: 2014 Black 1SS A6
Send a message via Yahoo to 31B
I usually never chime in on these things and I let people keep their opinion but I felt this time I had to say something.

First do I think the National speed limit should be higher? Yes I do, but that isn't our call. It isn't even the police officers call. Elected officials i.e. a traffic commission make those calls. Police Officers just enforce them. Enforcement of those laws and how they are enforced comes down to individual jurisdictions and SOMETIMES officer discretion. That is why there are so many varied stories of how officers handle situations. The jurisdiction may have a zero tolerance on speeders up to a certain speed which leaves the officer no slack on how he handles the situation. I have worked for people that have said we will enforce the "spirit" of the law as opposed to the letter of the law and have had the total opposite also. Community may have had an outcry in that region that had increased enforcement. I remember a after a townhall, residents of a housing development complained that people were speeding through their neighborhood to cut around rush hour traffic and wanted a police presence to decrease these incidents. I assigned a patrol to conduct speeding enforcement in the area to try and be visible and deter the speeders. We announced where the patrol was going to be and what times and they still caught plenty of speeders. Again don't blame the patrol, usually something has happened that has them doing enforcement in the area.

Does speed kill? Not entirely in itself. I ran a traffic management and collision investigation section and most of the time speeding wasn't a primary cause of a collision. It sure as heck contributed to it though. An accident becomes more serious the more velocity a vehicle carries and also the weight of the vehicle plays a factor. I don't know how many accidents I went to where , after we did all the calculations, if the individual had been doing the speed limit, they would have avoided the accident or at least been less serious. Without going into detail it has to do with the dissipation of kinetic energy on impact and the more speed you use the more energy there is to dissipate.

LIDAR is a wonderful tool, unlike RADAR which utilizes a broad beam to catch speeders, the beam from LIDAR is narrow and allows you to pick out individual vehicles from a group. It also has a longer range than RADAR. Under the right conditions LIDAR can pick out cars from great distances. As far as calibrations, it varies from state to state. When I was in Tennessee and Kentucky we required yearly certifications, when I was in Oklahoma, as long as the device passed all its tests and tuning (depending on device) it did not require a yearly calibration.

As far as what to do in this situation get with the prosecutor and see what your options are.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:32 PM   #73
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Some people drive their car, others let the car drive them.... Those that can't resist using the power on the highway are letting the car drive them.
Always did have much respect for those that are driving a lean mean, muscle machine, with plenty of spacing in front of them while in traffic, and not weaving in and out through lanes and instead, just taking it real easy as most everyone in a hurry just passes on by. That's knowing what you have and not having the need to show off...

As a plus to all that, I reckon driving like that puts more eyes on your sup'ed up ride...
Old 01-14-2015, 09:34 PM   #74
Spec
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne watson View Post
Funny thing... I've got one and it sits mostly in my glove compartment. They work on those long runs to Arizona where they've got those stupid speeding camera's on the highway...
Old 01-14-2015, 09:50 PM   #75
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
I've been to Texas and speeds over 100 mph seems like something they deal with on the highways all the time, like all of you drive like a bat out of hell.

So I wouldn't worry about a license suspension, jail or anything. Insurance hike most likely.

I have had 3 huge tickets, 74 in a 30, 82 in a 35, and 'speed in excess of 40 mph over' Never has my license been suspended for any of these, never paid over $500 fine, and never hired a lawyer.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:25 PM   #76
HeLLDaFieL

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne watson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
Funny thing... I've got one and it sits mostly in my glove compartment. They work on those long runs to Arizona where they've got those stupid speeding camera's on the highway...
A Cobra or some crap like you buy at WalMart, yeah it means your busted when it goes off. Now invest $400 on a Valentine One and more often than not, you will have plenty of time to slow down.

Now to the OP, just pay the fine, deal if the insurance hike, I would go the route than paying a high dollar lawyer, got caught 8 years ago (last ticket I ever got) on similar situation, I was on the right like chilling at 80MPH, then I came up with this crazy convey of semi-trucks , six or seven back to back, and to the left punch it, hit around 117MPH pass every one, back to 80MPH on the right lane, about 5 miles later, I see this undercover cop hauling ass, and I thought, someone is in trouble, and he got behind me, and I was like, oh that someone is me. Long story short, I paid the ticket and life went on.

Also just food for thought, I used to own long ago, a Geo Metro, which in totally legal speed limit of 70MPH it would take me 183 feet to stop and my 1LE @ 100MPH would take 180 feet.

Last edited by HeLLDaFieL; 01-14-2015 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:39 PM   #77
Pluto

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw View Post
i dont get why anyone on this thread is offering " advise" to a moron who was going over 100 mph on a city street/hwy. ?????? this is crap. really.
use the damn car responsibibly, or get rid of the car and get a 85 Tercel.

gee wiz. this sucks. it really does. that is reckless driving to me, no matter what the state you are in. you dont need to be doing 100 mph, no matter the circumstance. i think the OP needs to grow up and drive with common sense.
Would you sing the same tune if a loved one or someone really close to you got busted for the same thing? Just curious.

Small, but effective mod list:

Roto-Fab Intake, TSP 2" Long tubes, TSP catless mids, MSD spark plug wires, stock catback, Elite Catch Can, APEX washer relocation and scoop, VMAX throttle body, Diablo InTune-Tuned by Matt@FSP, and a JacFab license plate bracket.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:12 PM   #78
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
Would you sing the same tune if a loved one or someone really close to you got busted for the same thing? Just curious.

Well it's easier to break people down than to help them up.

Live and let live I say, been there myself so I'll offer the guy some advice and ignore the name calling trolls, it's a waste of your time.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:28 PM   #79
Pluto

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by two_wheel_mayhem View Post
Well it's easier to break people down than to help them up.

Live and let live I say, been there myself so I'll offer the guy some advice and ignore the name calling trolls, it's a waste of your time.
I just freak out how people (like you say) break others down and when it happens to them the excuses and bs come out. I honestly just can't and don't take the law serious when it comes to things like this. I abide by the more important things (such as my concealed carry guidelines), but when it comes to moving violations and crap like that I can't even begin to judge. Thing is, you and I (and everyone else on here) will be dead and laying in our graves soon enough...and all of this wouldn't have mattered, anyway. Call me irresponsible, but I can't possibly care at all knowing I'll be dead in (hopefully) a few or more decades. Summary? Life's too short.

Small, but effective mod list:

Roto-Fab Intake, TSP 2" Long tubes, TSP catless mids, MSD spark plug wires, stock catback, Elite Catch Can, APEX washer relocation and scoop, VMAX throttle body, Diablo InTune-Tuned by Matt@FSP, and a JacFab license plate bracket.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:34 PM   #80
Spec
Account Suspended

Has anybody asked yet whether he maybe had the vitesse on sp9 by accident? lol
Old 01-14-2015, 11:36 PM   #81
masterguns95 1LE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
I don't see where the fella ever admits he was driving at any speed. The LEO said 107. The driver asked to see it. That kinda makes me think he didn't know how fast he was going, but didn't think it was triple digits. But, what do I know. I consider myself a pretty much law abiding citizen, but I also have prepaid legal services. In this day of frivolouslaw suits I have found it a must. My advice: talk to a lawyer.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:48 PM   #82
omgitsmiketuck

Drives: 2011 LS V6 (M) & 2019 LS I4 (AT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by satxrider View Post
Time to lawyer up. Defensive driving is not an option over 95 miles per hour or over the limit by 25 miles per hour. With an attorney you might get lucky and have it reduced to allow you to do the deferred option or at least reduce the cost of the ticket. But many times the lawyer will continue to show up to court and hope that the officer fails to appear and get a full dismissal.

Best of luck. Sucks to get a ticket, especially in the triple digits.
I agree, Get a lawyer and fight it. Seems odd that the cop wouldn't show you the reading. I'm pretty sure its your RIGHT to see evidence. I bet on that alone, a good lawyer will get you out of the ticket. Granted, this isn't a CHEAP option. You may spend a grip on your lawyer but it'll help you in the long run over insurance premiums. Or you can take the cheap (gamble) and show up to court. If the cop was being shady, he might not show up. But its risky. Personally i'd get a lawyer.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:48 PM   #83
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterguns95 1LE View Post
I don't see where the fella ever admits he was driving at any speed. The LEO said 107. The driver asked to see it. That kinda makes me think he didn't know how fast he was going, but didn't think it was triple digits. But, what do I know. I consider myself a pretty much law abiding citizen, but I also have prepaid legal services. In this day of frivolouslaw suits I have found it a must. My advice: talk to a lawyer.
He edited his first post after it was pointed out its not good to admit how fast you knew you were going on a public forum, I guess he forgot someone quoted him in a reply.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:02 AM   #84
omgitsmiketuck

Drives: 2011 LS V6 (M) & 2019 LS I4 (AT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Probably so, but I can say that I have never gone 37 mph over the posted speed limit in traffic.
You're either 70 or a liar. We've all found a backroad at some point in our life... that perfect straight away, that is PROBABLY a 45... but we gunned it anyway.

Closed Thread