Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #15
ROCrMH

Drives: synergy green 2ss/rs
Dealer installed SLP long tube catted headers, SLP loudmouth exhausts and E-force elberbrock supercharger, tune and dyno, and is under warranty. They are a certified GM performance centre with certified GM mechanics. I believed thats the only way they will warranty and stand behind their work, if they do the install.
ROCrMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #16
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
It seems some dealers are becoming more and more flexible on modifications, especially if you can get them to do the install. The tune is where most dealers draw the line. But as stated above, there are exceptions. I suggest talking with your service dept. and getting anything they say in writing. Feel free to call, PM or email me with questions

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #17
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Man, this subject has been rehashed a million times.

The headers won't void the warranty, but a tune will IF:

1. You have some kind of warranty issue that involves the powertrain, AND
2. They have to replace a powertrain component

In order for the dealer to get reimbursed from GM corporate for the repairs, any time the service department files a powertrain claim the tech MUST send in a screenshot of the ECM data before GM will approve the claim. If it isn't a stock calibration, warranty is then void.

Dealers tend to use "void" as the easy card to get out of repairs they don't want to do. "Cool" dealers don't do this, however, GM makes the calls on those repairs, period. Please sticky this information.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #18
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt55 View Post
No will not void warranty.

Untill something breaks , then your own your own .

Local dealers say one thing , but the local dealer is not making the call GM is .
. GM (not the dealer) makes the warranty decision on all powertrain issues for the SS, I just posted the below the other day after a visit to my dealer.

Quote:
Then we got to talking about the warranty and tuning the SS. The tech told me that whenever warranty work is done on the drive train of an SS, ZL1 or Corvette the tech MUST send the ECM file to GM for review before the warranty claim is approved, no exceptions. I asked about the V6 and he said they do not have to for the V6 (that is not to say they won't), only the SS, ZL1 and Vette.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #19
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaic2021 View Post
I asked my dealer if I installed long tube headers if it would void warranty. At first he said yes, then came back and said it wouldn't.

Anyone confirm this? If they say it won't should I get it in some kinda form of writing.
The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any damage or failure resulting from modification, alteration or suspected tampering, to the vehicle's original equipment as manufactured or assembled by General Motors.

Any changes to the GM Powertrain, Fuel, or Emission Systems that involve modifications, conversions, or the addition of non-GM approved products will void the GM Powertrain Limited. GM will not be responsible for costs associated with the repair of these vehicles due to failure of the aftermarket installed components or failures of related vehicle systems induced by these non-GM approved products.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 01-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #20
NoleLife

Drives: 2013 2SS M6
Mr. Chevrolet Customer Service Brandon Person - Then I'm a little curious why you won't backup the warranty on an SS that has the installed Heads/Cam kit released in your new COPO magazines. You said in your post just now, and I quote, "... or the addition of non-GM approved products will void the GM Powertrain Limited.", yet the head/cam package is YOUR head/cam package, made by you and marketed/approved for the Camaro SS. With that in mind, if the install is done by one of your certified dealers and your certified mechanics, why is it not backed up?
NoleLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:20 PM   #21
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any damage or failure resulting from modification, alteration or suspected tampering, to the vehicle's original equipment as manufactured or assembled by General Motors.

Any changes to the GM Powertrain, Fuel, or Emission Systems that involve modifications, conversions, or the addition of non-GM approved products will void the GM Powertrain Limited. GM will not be responsible for costs associated with the repair of these vehicles due to failure of the aftermarket installed components or failures of related vehicle systems induced by these non-GM approved products.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Basically, if an aftermarket part causes a GM part to fail, then GM is not liable.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #22
NoleLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Basically, if an aftermarket part causes a GM part to fail, then GM is not liable.
As I ask in my post just above yours, then why won't they stand behind the warranty if you install *their* Head/Cam kit for the LS3? That's a GM part. If I install the GM ground effects for the Camaro after I have already bought the car, my bumper-bumper isn't voided. So why does the GM head/cam void the powertrain. Lame.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #23
Edwin320

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleLife View Post
Mr. Chevrolet Customer Service Brandon Person - Then I'm a little curious why you won't backup the warranty on an SS that has the installed Heads/Cam kit released in your new COPO magazines. You said in your post just now, and I quote, "... or the addition of non-GM approved products will void the GM Powertrain Limited.", yet the head/cam package is YOUR head/cam package, made by you and marketed/approved for the Camaro SS. With that in mind, if the install is done by one of your certified dealers and your certified mechanics, why is it not backed up?

I don't have the magazine in hand, but I'd bet a lot there is some fine print in there somewhere that mentions voiding the warranty when installing those heads/cam.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #24
NoleLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin320 View Post
I don't have the magazine in hand, but I'd bet a lot there is some fine print in there somewhere that mentions voiding the warranty when installing those heads/cam.
There is fine print, that's my point. It's quite obvious too. It's right at the bottom of the page with the head/cam. But if it's their product, for their engine and car, installed by their mechanics, then why the hell would it void the warranty?
Old 01-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #25
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Quote:
Because....you missed the majority of the rest of the statement. Those COPO parts, regardless if they are a GM part or not, did not come on your car from the factory! Therefore, if they cause a failure.....not covered.

Any changes to the GM Powertrain, Fuel, or Emission Systems that involve modifications, conversions, OR the addition of non-GM approved products will void the GM Powertrain Limited. GM will not be responsible for costs associated with the repair of these vehicles due to failure of the aftermarket installed components or failures of related vehicle systems induced by these non-GM approved products.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:56 PM   #26
NoleLife

I didn't say I don't understand how they are making it legal. Yes, that's their policy, and that's why they are able to do it. I'm essentially getting at that I think it's BS that their stance is that though. I can take my car to the dealer right now and them install the ground effects package. My Bumper-To-Bumper will not be void. I can have them install the short-throw shifter accessory and my power-train (with respect to the transmission) will not be void. I can have them install the GMP exhaust system and Ill still have my power train warranty on the actual exhaust itself (as opposed to installing a Corsa and having the powertrain on everything *except* the exhaust). But if you have them install a GM manufactured and approved engine part, for the Camaro, it voids the warranty.

Their logic is likely this: If you get ground effects, or a shifter, or an exhaust, then you care about aesthetics and sound and show. That doesn't necessarily mean you drive hard so they will keep your warranty. But if you're willing to drop a grand on a head and camshaft then in all likely hood you probably drive the car harder than the average bear so they want to take away the warranty on the inevitably worn out engine/tranny.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #27
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Quote:
I didn't say I don't understand how they are making it legal. Yes, that's their policy, and that's why they are able to do it. I'm essentially getting at that I think it's BS that their stance is that though. I can take my car to the dealer right now and them install the ground effects package. My Bumper-To-Bumper will not be void. I can have them install the short-throw shifter accessory and my power-train (with respect to the transmission) will not be void. I can have them install the GMP exhaust system and Ill still have my power train warranty on the actual exhaust itself (as opposed to installing a Corsa and having the powertrain on everything *except* the exhaust). But if you have them install a GM manufactured and approved engine part, for the Camaro, it voids the warranty.

Their logic is likely this: If you get ground effects, or a shifter, or an exhaust, then you care about aesthetics and sound and show. That doesn't necessarily mean you drive hard so they will keep your warranty. But if you're willing to drop a grand on a head and camshaft then in all likely hood you probably drive the car harder than the average bear so they want to take away the warranty on the inevitably worn out engine/tranny.
As I understand it (and maybe I'm wrong), you can have your dealership install ground effects, a shifter, or an exhaust, or whatever you want on your car, and you're right it will NOT void the entire bumper-to-bumper warranty. BUT....because those parts did not come on your car as "delivered" to you, if those added parts are proven to cause a malfunction or failure, the repair will NOT be covered under warranty. Doesn't matter if the dealership installed them or not. Doesn't matter if the part is made by GM or not. Same with the COPO parts....just because you install them doesn't necessarily mean your entire powertrain warranty is voided. But if they cause a failure....then the repair is not covered under warranty. However (and this is a BIG however), it is the related and probably required "TUNE" to the ECM that will and does in fact void your entire powertrain warranty. So.....in the end, it's once again the tune that has you by the "short-hairs"!!!!

The small print always screws you in the end!!!
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #28
2SSRSinBama

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro CGM
the thing is, if you have headers and break an axle, you're going to get your car fixed under warranty, even WITH a tune... GM is not going to step in, until its the engine, I even know of a car that got a transmission replaced, and the car is more modded(and tuned) than my own

2010 Camaro SS L99... has a few mods
2SSRSinBama is offline   Reply With Quote