Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 07-20-2017, 03:42 PM   #1
brettman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Mishimoto Catch can and Whipple

This can WILL NOT work (as delivered) for the Gen 6 Camaro's.
With the Whipple SC. A 45 degree fitting is needed to clear the coolant tank.
2016 Camaro 1SS, Red Hot, K&N Blackhawk intake, Whipple Supercharger, 3.125 pulley, Kooks 2" long tube headers, High flow cats, secondary cats delete, Mishimoto catch can, P3gauge, Lots of dress-up crap that don't make it go any faster.

Car Journal http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490975

SC build http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492656

Drive, Ride, Fly It Like You Stole It

GO BIG OR GO HOME

Last edited by brettman; 07-21-2017 at 06:34 AM.
brettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:57 PM   #2
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
You're saying two aftermarket components that weren't designed for each other aren't perfectly compatible, especially when the one component isn't located where it was designed?

Seems a bit obvious, no? I mean, it's good to know for others going down this exact path, but as always when you start doing a mix-n-match, some engineering attention is almost always needed.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:08 PM   #3
Eyefixstuff

Drives: 16’ 2SS A8 HBM Procharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
You're saying two aftermarket components that weren't designed for each other aren't perfectly compatible, especially when the one component isn't located where it was designed?

Seems a bit obvious, no? I mean, it's good to know for others going down this exact path, but as always when you start doing a mix-n-match, some engineering attention is almost always needed.
While we are on this subject, does anyone know of a catch can that will work with a procharger setup?
Eyefixstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:44 PM   #4
brettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post

Yes Sir, I even call them, Mishimoto stated it will work. SURPRISE.
With the Whipple....NOT. I have a 45degree fitting inbound. Then I'm Golden.
SAD.
2016 Camaro 1SS, Red Hot, K&N Blackhawk intake, Whipple Supercharger, 3.125 pulley, Kooks 2" long tube headers, High flow cats, secondary cats delete, Mishimoto catch can, P3gauge, Lots of dress-up crap that don't make it go any faster.

GO BIG OR GO HOME
Old 07-20-2017, 07:13 PM   #5
shinysun

I moved the catch can like the pic.
shinysun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:44 PM   #6
Joe's_cool_1le

Drives: Black 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinysun View Post

I moved the catch can like the pic.
What's the orange hose?
2017 1LE SS Black - Mods - Forged - lowered compression - BTR custom Cam - Whipple, 3.500 upper and 8.0 lower pulley, Roto-Fab, 1 7/8 Kooks headers, off road pipes, & 3" Kooks full exhaust. LT4 fuel system, with Alky single nozzle running 100% meth. (not installed yet) DSX Tuning flex fuel and DSX tuning Aux pump
Joe's_cool_1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:02 PM   #7
shinysun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's_cool_1le View Post
What's the orange hose?
Orange? Do you mean the catch can hoses?
Old 07-20-2017, 09:05 PM   #8
Joe's_cool_1le

Drives: Black 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinysun View Post
Orange? Do you mean the catch can hoses?
LOL. Yes, bad humor on my part. haha
2017 1LE SS Black - Mods - Forged - lowered compression - BTR custom Cam - Whipple, 3.500 upper and 8.0 lower pulley, Roto-Fab, 1 7/8 Kooks headers, off road pipes, & 3" Kooks full exhaust. LT4 fuel system, with Alky single nozzle running 100% meth. (not installed yet) DSX Tuning flex fuel and DSX tuning Aux pump
Joe's_cool_1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:15 PM   #9
shinysun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's_cool_1le View Post
LOL. Yes, bad humor on my part. haha
I cut the hose (which came with the Mishimoto Catchcan) little bit
Old 07-21-2017, 06:29 AM   #10
brettman

Ya, I thought about relocating the catch can, however the hoses are molded to fit in the suggested location. And I want a clean look, Web site states "WILL" work with SC. Now it doesn't state Whipple...LOL, so My bad. So I got a fitting coming, just want to give a heads up.

GO BIG OR GO HOME
Old 07-21-2017, 10:59 AM   #11
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
From Mishimoto's website:

"Robust, application-specific bracket mounts the can in a serviceable location away from most intake and supercharger kits"

"most intake and supercharger kits"
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:00 PM   #12
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettman View Post
Yes Sir, I even call them, Mishimoto stated it will work. SURPRISE.
With the Whipple....NOT. I have a 45degree fitting inbound. Then I'm Golden.
SAD.
I think the takeaway here is: buyer beware and be prepared to innovate and develop heretofore unknown parts combinations solutions.

Glad you found a simple fix. Now everyone else here can benefit from your innovation if they use the same combo.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:56 PM   #13
Mishimoto
Account Suspended

Drives: Mostly Stock
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to jump in here and first off say sorry that you're having fitment issues @brettman! We do our best to test our products on both stock and modified vehicles, not only for fitment, but to make sure they can handle the added performance. Unfortunately, getting every variation of a car sometimes just isn't in the cards, which is why we said that our catch can kit will fit most, but not all supercharger setups. We didn't have the chance to get an SS in boasting a Whipple setup, and again I'm sorry to hear you were the one who had to discover the fitment issue. We do greatly appreciate you bringing it to your fellow owners' attention, however, and I'm glad to hear that you have an easy fix in mind.

I'm going to make sure I pass this info along to our CS reps as well to let future customers know what they'll need for installation!

Thanks again, and sorry for the inconvenience!

-Nick
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:51 PM   #14
brettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishimoto View Post
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to jump in here and first off say sorry that you're having fitment issues @brettman! We do our best to test our products on both stock and modified vehicles, not only for fitment, but to make sure they can handle the added performance. Unfortunately, getting every variation of a car sometimes just isn't in the cards, which is why we said that our catch can kit will fit most, but not all supercharger setups. We didn't have the chance to get an SS in boasting a Whipple setup, and again I'm sorry to hear you were the one who had to discover the fitment issue. We do greatly appreciate you bringing it to your fellow owners' attention, however, and I'm glad to hear that you have an easy fix in mind.

I'm going to make sure I pass this info along to our CS reps as well to let future customers know what they'll need for installation!

Thanks again, and sorry for the inconvenience!

-Nick
Thanks Nick, It wasn't a big issue. I bought a 45 degree fitting for in port on the can. Mock up fit, everything looks good. It will be a very clean, and welcome mod to my car. Just wanted to give a heads up to other Camaro owner with some supercharger, that a fitting would be needed for a smooth install. Thanks for your concern, I will post pics after install.

GO BIG OR GO HOME