Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast

Old 09-04-2017, 12:10 PM   #1
GeorgiaCamaro6

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
GA Camaro owners

Hey all; I wasn't sure where to post this,but I am curious if anyone here in Georgia who is a Gen 5 Camaro owner has ever swapped a V6 to a V8? I have heard all kinds of nonsense about how you'd have to swap the rear axle...ect..ect. I want some feed back from people who actually have done it,and the costs of it totally. I like the idea of a sleeper in the sense of no SS badges,and it appears as a V6 camaro. Seeing as every dealer just wants to rip me off on my trade in and low ball me I am just gonna swap engines. Just looking to see what it will cost,and any tips that someone might have on the process or what to avoid ect.
Attached Images

GeorgiaCamaro6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:24 PM   #2
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
hell who wants a v8, i want to swap in a tesla driveline
Attached Images

PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:37 AM   #3
TheRainman

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
You'd be better off selling the car privately and then using the cash from that sale to buy an SS car. Swapping from a V6 to a V8 is not as easy as just pulling the old and dropping in the new and usually involves having to drop the tank, change fuel pumps, ECU's, possibly some electronics under the dash to get your gauges right...etc...etc. It's usually more time and effort than you could just swap cars for.

Not to mention, when you go to sell it...any prospective buyer is going to be very leary of a car that's had an engine swap.

Just my .02 on it, but do what makes ya happy.

BTW - should be getting my ZL1 from CarMax here in the next week or two. Had one shipped in from Ohio. I'm out in Paulding county.
TheRainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:39 PM   #4
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbuddy View Post
hell who wants a v8, i want to swap in a tesla driveline
THAT^^^^
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:12 PM   #5
GeorgiaCamaro6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
You'd be better off selling the car privately and then using the cash from that sale to buy an SS car. Swapping from a V6 to a V8 is not as easy as just pulling the old and dropping in the new and usually involves having to drop the tank, change fuel pumps, ECU's, possibly some electronics under the dash to get your gauges right...etc...etc. It's usually more time and effort than you could just swap cars for.

Not to mention, when you go to sell it...any prospective buyer is going to be very leary of a car that's had an engine swap.

Just my .02 on it, but do what makes ya happy.

BTW - should be getting my ZL1 from CarMax here in the next week or two. Had one shipped in from Ohio. I'm out in Paulding county.

Well the swap i was looking at was a crate engine from Chevy themsevles which has the ECU+Wire harness already included as part of the package. only thing i didn't consider was the fuel pumps which i've found some from pull-a-part which was awesome. Personally I don't plan on ever selling this car. This was my dream car ever since i got my first job at 18 years old (grant it only turning 30 now but still) to own a Camaro,and fell in love with this model specifically when they came back in 2010. As nice as the new Gen 6 camaros are this car is going no where. =)

I was just simply hoping that maybe someone might have some insight on everything like you just pointed out somethings i didn't think about like the fuel pump.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:07 PM   #6
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaCamaro6 View Post
Well the swap i was looking at was a crate engine from Chevy themsevles which has the ECU+Wire harness already included as part of the package
I assume you are talking about the Connect and Cruise line? While yes, you get an engine with an ECU and harness... it's not technically just plug and play with YOUR car. It's plug and play for an older car. You power the ECU, and it has what is needed to fire the engine.

Our newer cars are way more complicated than that. The harness from the engine has to go to our dashboards, our ECM/BCM/TCM, etc. Sometimes you even need to worry about power steering, or brakes. Hell even the odometer is connected through the BCM on modern cars. It truly is a ton of work, and you will lose money and have an inferior car.

Yes you will have a sleeper look, but you also won't have a suspension meant for the power and weight, nor brakes for it. If you wanted the sleeper look, it truly would be easier and way more cost effective to just buy an SS and swap a v6 front clip.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 04:13 PM   #7
camaro2ss/rs

Drives: 2ss/rs
i have to ask i long have you had your v6 for...i see you have 3 posts please do tell
camaro2ss/rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:11 PM   #8
GeorgiaCamaro6

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro2ss/rs View Post
i have to ask i long have you had your v6 for...i see you have 3 posts please do tell
December 2015 is when i bought it at 78,000 miles. I created my account here April 2016 when i was looking to change out my exhaust,and just recently was entertaining the idea of a swap,but finding that further out of reach than i expected.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:13 PM   #9
GeorgiaCamaro6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
I assume you are talking about the Connect and Cruise line? While yes, you get an engine with an ECU and harness... it's not technically just plug and play with YOUR car. It's plug and play for an older car. You power the ECU, and it has what is needed to fire the engine.

Our newer cars are way more complicated than that. The harness from the engine has to go to our dashboards, our ECM/BCM/TCM, etc. Sometimes you even need to worry about power steering, or brakes. Hell even the odometer is connected through the BCM on modern cars. It truly is a ton of work, and you will lose money and have an inferior car.

Yes you will have a sleeper look, but you also won't have a suspension meant for the power and weight, nor brakes for it. If you wanted the sleeper look, it truly would be easier and way more cost effective to just buy an SS and swap a v6 front clip.

Dang they changed the modern models that much? I mean i am no 30-40 year GM mechanic like my father,but dang. He was wondering the same thing when reading your post because the last Camaros he worked on was the Gen 4 models and knows what kind of heck they are to deal with.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:56 AM   #10
onegoofydad

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Cheaper to add some FI to the V6.....Keep the RS badges, true sleeper.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:02 PM   #11
GeorgiaCamaro6

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoofydad View Post
Cheaper to add some FI to the V6.....Keep the RS badges, true sleeper.
Yeah i just got a quote from the owner of STS turbos and he told me it would cost roughly 5-6,000$ to drop a turbo system on my V6.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:26 PM   #12
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Name:  34748E42-E7BF-429F-812E-B0E206E35170.jpeg
Views: 225
Size:  64.6 KB
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:41 PM   #13
GeorgiaCamaro6