Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-20-2018, 02:54 PM   #1
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Solid vs. Polyurethane rear cradle bushings

I'm sure this has been discussed a number of times, but what have you guys experienced with solid rear cradle bushings vs. polyurethane rear cradle bushings? What power levels are recommended for either and if you have one over the other, what was your reason for going with it and would you have done the other if you had to do it again?

From what I understand solid bushings really firm up the rear end well vs. poly bushings mostly firm up the rear end. However, solid bushings I've been told have a tendency to squeak or cause noise. My end power goal is ultimately 600-650 rwhp, but I'm not likely to get above 500rwhp for a while still. I'm installing a cam this year and having some head work done which I anticipate 445-465 rwhp from (L99 car).

Thanks for the help!
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:32 PM   #2
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
If your goal is 600-650, have you thought about just going TT from AGP?

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:15 PM   #3
NEstyle

Drives: Caprice
Bushings are not power level dependent. I don't care what anyone says. If you're going for all out performance, put in solids no matter what the power level. It's not like you are installing solid suspension bushings. All of your suspension bushings are still going to isolate a lot of noise from the cradle. Putting solid cradle bushings in a car is not really that much different than cars that don't have cradles, who's suspension components mount to the unit body. Think about it!
NEstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:28 AM   #4
pyroguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPLPunk View Post
If your goal is 600-650, have you thought about just going TT from AGP?
I've considered it and I'm not much of a fan of turbos. I really don't like turbo lag and I'm incrementally going up in power so cam now and supercharger later. It gives me the opportunity to enjoy the climb in power instead of getting it all at once. Thanks for the suggestion. If I was going turbo, I liked the setup of hellion with their top mount turbos.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:59 AM   #5
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
I did the solid bushings and I didn't notice any new noises or harder vibrations. Dooo iiit!
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:27 AM   #6
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Solids are more costly. If not a issue do it. I have poly and work great. Had poly incerts before and were noticeable. I autocross and the rear stays out in all the turns.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:17 AM   #7
Synner

Drives: cars
I've had both, solid is significantly better.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:08 PM   #8
TXM62SS

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Go solid and be done. No harsh noises, etc.
Roto-Fab, Bo White TB, Borla Touring Catback
3.91 1LE Gears, MGW
Tuned by Pat G

TXM62SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:57 PM   #9
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I have a older set of the Pfadt solid bushings and can tell you there's no additional noise from them and the acceleration is much improved.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:00 PM   #10
dentnshell

Drives: Black 2014 2SS
Solid bushings are one of the best suspensions mods I have done. The car is my wife's car. Seriously she noticed a huge difference in launching the car after the Solid bushings. She quickly chimes in about that mod anytime we are talking about things that helped the drive-ability of the car. After the LSA install it needed all the help it could get to keep from twisting at launch.
Mods: LSA Conversion 2.5" Upper Pulley, 65# injectors, GPI SS1 Cam, SP Long Tubes, ADM Race Scoop & CAI, NPP exhaust (DIY control), BMR 1" lowering springs, ZL1 Rear Differential / Axles, CF Side Strip / Hood Spear, Tint - Windows / Tails / Sidemarkers, Splash Guards, ADM Boost Gauge, ABL Dashkit, '68 Script Badges, ACS T4 Splitter, ZL1 Rockers from Gary's, Z28 Spoiler, Carbon Fiber Hood Vent, Summer - MRR FS01 Satin Black (10" Front 11" Rear) Winter, pictured-Drag DR 64's Satin Black (9" Front-10" Rear.)
dentnshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:30 PM   #11
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Did you go from poly to solid, or just from stock to solid?

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:45 PM   #12
dentnshell

Drives: Black 2014 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPLPunk View Post
Did you go from poly to solid, or just from stock to solid?
I just went from stock to solid. I expected the ride to be way harsher than it was. I considered both. I got my solids from Pegasus - Very happy with them
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=474155

shoot 2012LS3VERT a PM. He makes them.
Mods: LSA Conversion 2.5" Upper Pulley, 65# injectors, GPI SS1 Cam, SP Long Tubes, ADM Race Scoop & CAI, NPP exhaust (DIY control), BMR 1" lowering springs, ZL1 Rear Differential / Axles, CF Side Strip / Hood Spear, Tint - Windows / Tails / Sidemarkers, Splash Guards, ADM Boost Gauge, ABL Dashkit, '68 Script Badges, ACS T4 Splitter, ZL1 Rockers from Gary's, Z28 Spoiler, Carbon Fiber Hood Vent, Summer - MRR FS01 Satin Black (10" Front 11" Rear) Winter, pictured-Drag DR 64's Satin Black (9" Front-10" Rear.)
dentnshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:46 PM   #13
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
I had solids, they were harsh but not disturbingly so... I've since removed them and gone poly...

I have no issues with poly bushings even at my power level... Alignment consistently stays where we put it...

One thing we noticed when we pulled the solid bushings were hot spots... These bushings are going into pockets of stamped steel. We had several very small areas on each where there was a corresponding high spot in the steel that was wearing into the aluminum bushing. Eventually this will settle down and should solidify, but I wanted to point it out... We are better served at my power levels with the poly mounts...

As for the harshness, I have my motor installed with motor plates, front and rear, so I feel every bump, burp, and fart the car ever makes... Harshness and noise had nothing to do with removing the solid mounts... It was a overall package performance thing... There are benefits to each. It's just a matter of personal choice and performance goals. The decision need not be made based on "power" goals in my opinion...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:56 PM   #14
pyroguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
I had solids, they were harsh but not disturbingly so... I've since removed them and gone poly...

I have no issues with poly bushings even at my power level... Alignment consistently stays where we put it...

One thing we noticed when we pulled the solid bushings were hot spots... These bushings are going into pockets of stamped steel. We had several very small areas on each where there was a corresponding high spot in the steel that was wearing into the aluminum bushing. Eventually this will settle down and should solidify, but I wanted to point it out... We are better served at my power levels with the poly mounts...

As for the harshness, I have my motor installed with motor plates, front and rear, so I feel every bump, burp, and fart the car ever makes... Harshness and noise had nothing to do with removing the solid mounts... It was a overall package performance thing... There are benefits to each. It's just a matter of personal choice and performance goals. The decision need not be made based on "power" goals in my opinion...
Thanks for the feedback. What power level are you running?