Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 06-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #15
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Any Corvette I've ever driven with the fuse for the exhaust pulled was a nightmare on the highway. Not sure how you could ever drive a car without a muffler as a daily driver.

Don't get me wrong, it's sweet sounding for driving around and especially accelerating..................just not when you are going a constant speed.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:19 AM   #16
tpower
DBLCHBY III

Drives: 15 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Dan View Post
I have SLP Long tube headers, pulleys, tune and injectors along with air cleaner.

I would NOT want it any louder. It feels every bit the 650RWHP when I go WOT and as Andy said, still nice for that 9 hour ride home from Maryland.

No drone, nothing but a quiet rumble.

I drove back with a friend, he said it sounded like Nascar when I flew by him.

650 RWHP With tune, pulleys, cai, injectors and headers????????????
Old 06-29-2012, 06:35 AM   #17
adamgl

Drives: '98 Camaro Z28, '06 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Any Corvette I've ever driven with the fuse for the exhaust pulled was a nightmare on the highway. Not sure how you could ever drive a car without a muffler as a daily driver.

Don't get me wrong, it's sweet sounding for driving around and especially accelerating..................just not when you are going a constant speed.
Ohh it can't be that bad, lol. My Z28 is pretty much open headers and I drive it every day. Long tube headers into dual x pipe, no cats, no mufflers, turn downs after the transmission. It is loud as hell accelerating, even low rpm, but not bad cruising in 6th gear.
'06 Z06 2LZ, Cam, P/P/M Heads, FAST Intake/TB, ARH, CAI, HP Clutch/FW, C5 Axles,
Pfadt Coilovers/Poly Bushings, Carbon Fiber: Everything, lol. HID's, 360 Forged Spec 5's/Invo's, Custom Interior. 550 RWHP
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235911
adamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:45 AM   #18
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
Quote:
I have SLP Long tube headers, pulleys, tune and injectors along with air cleaner.

I would NOT want it any louder. It feels every bit the 650RWHP when I go WOT and as Andy said, still nice for that 9 hour ride home from Maryland.

No drone, nothing but a quiet rumble.

I drove back with a friend, he said it sounded like Nascar when I flew by him.
650whp with just those mods? thats impressive!
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:28 AM   #19
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
Sorry guys, just getting back to this thread.

Yes, it is 650RWHP and 670lb ft of torque. SLP has some very talented folks and I have always been a fan of their products, their attention to detail and I like made in USA.

I will post a dyno sheet when I get home. It sure feels every bit of that power.
I will try to get some video of the sound, but I have yet to hear anyone's recording that does exhaust notes justice.

Here is a video on the dyno before the injectors.

Yes, I would still say the Z06 (C5's) that I had are easier to drive on the track. They were very neutral and I could really feel the lighter weight. I think I could probably still beat the ZL1 on my C5 Z06 on a shorter more technical course, but not so much on a bigger one.

But here is the big difference for me anyway. I try to get to 4 or 5 track days a year. Believe me, I would love to get to many more but it just doesn't happen. My last Z06 (2002) had Bilstein sport suspension and other mods. It was low, stiff and great handling. My wife did not want to go anywhere with me in it because it was loud and rough on her.
Now, when I went to a track day, 30 minute sessions were no sweat where my 99 SS I was sweating and worn out after a 30 minute session. Also, I had to back off the last several minutes because I had no coolers and the car would be getting to hot.

I am now rambling so I will try to close.

I took my wife to dinner in the ZL1 last night. She said this car is really comfortable and it's not too loud. I said ok, you have to at least know what it is capable of as we got on the highway. I went WOT throttle and she said, "DO NOT DO THAT AGAIN!". I laughed of course.

It is Jekyl and Hyde if ever there was one.

Now I need a track day and I can tell you my impressions there.

Here is my quick review of track differences in my Z06 vs my 99 SS with lots of suspension and brake mods.

1999 Camaro SS - Lots of understeer going into corners, lot of oversteer coming out (for you NASCAR guys that is tight in, loose off). It was fun to hammer that thing around but it was a lot of work too. The brakes were good but having 60% of the weight in the nose was interesting. I was able to run with and be faster than Porsche 911's and M3's but I would really get that car too hot and had to back off since I didn't want to blow it up.

The Z06 was very neutral, when I turned in, it turned and when I came out of corners it caught and took off. It was easy and not nearly the amount of work. For comparison, at one track where they have the numbers going into the corners, I would hit the brakes hard in the Z06 somewhere between the 1 and the 2. In the SS it was at the 4 and still I scared myself every time!

Sorry so long, but I love this stuff.

In summary, I need a track day in the ZL1 to really compare and see how it's endurance is and how much work it is for me to be fast. But on the street, there is no comparison. The ZL1 clearly has the raw HP that none of my other cars had but it is comfortable and tame when I want it to be. I can also take my Down's Syndrome (I mention that because she is short) in the back seat and we can go places as a family. The vette didn't allow that.

I love them all, but this car is overall the best complete package I have ever driven.
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:56 AM   #20
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
Let me try this. Love LogmeIN to get to home PC from work.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #21
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Short vid of exhaust note. Doesn't really do it justice but hopefully it gives you an idea.

SLP Long Tube headers and high flow cats with stock exhaust the rest of the way.

http://photos.imageevent.com/happy_d...1/IMG_0688.MOV
Old 07-03-2012, 01:10 AM   #22
Mustang Killa

Drives: Black 2SS
Mustang Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:56 AM   #23
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
It not rear wheel Hp if is claiming 600 with a filter
and tune guys.That would mean it makes 680flywheel stock.

To only gain 50 Hp with a 2.5" pulley
Is very low,should be 70-75hp.

Show a pre dyno of the car stock in relation to
You filter and tune change .
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:46 AM   #24
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

I am not posting all the charts. It was 512 to the rear wheels stock.
There were many pulls and a lot of tuning time on the dyno.

Not trying to jack the thread, it was about sounding good with headers and stock exhaust then evolved.

I have no skin in this game, just relaying what I have.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:06 AM   #25
ADM PERFORMANCE

Quote:

Not trying to jack the thread, it was about sounding good with headers and stock exhaust then evolved.

That's awesome!
Old 07-03-2012, 07:21 AM   #26
ADM PERFORMANCE

Quote:

My bad , the graph does say SAE Corrected Engine Power,not rwhp.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #27
Sack Rat 2SS

Drives: Silver SS/RS, Man 6
I have read and heard that if you put headers on the ZL1 the exhaust at idle is greatly louder with factory open exhaust. To me this is where one would want to be able to overide and go to mild at idle. Don't want to wake up neighbors leaving early or arriving late, especially with headers. I think GM made a mistake here with ZL1.
Sack Rat 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #28
Drew P

Drives: Camaro ZL1
I wouldnt say they made a mistake, but I agree that with gutted cats the stock exhaust is too loud for a daily driver at idle. However, the guys at sunset orange creations tell me that they are finishing up an upgraded mild to wild setup that will allow the butterfly valves to be closed at idle. Anyone know of any other vendors of something to that effect?
Drew P is offline   Reply With Quote