Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-23-2016, 11:20 PM   #29
Unotme

Drives: 2010 camaro LS
Anything more with this build?
Unotme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:54 PM   #30
alice

Drives: 2010 camaro limited edition turbo
Was out of the country for a while. Just got back and I will be getting back on this project in about a week or two. I am still optimistic at this point. I am building a stand on rollers that will allow me to set the engine and transmission on, bolted together so I can start the engine/transmission assembly for short durations of time and evaluate any codes that set. Of course, that's assuming I get past the programming of the LFX ECU. I'm hoping!
alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:41 PM   #31
omgitsmiketuck

Drives: 2011 LS V6 (M) & 2019 LS I4 (AT)
2011 Camaro LS (MT) - Vitesse Throttle Controller / Flowmaster 40 Mufflers / CAI Intake / Apex scoop and washer relocate / Epic Engineering Catch Can / SS Stoptech Brake lines / BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs / IPF tune /Magnaflow X-Pipe / 25mm Mace intake spacer / BBK Long Tube Headers with High Flow Cats

(Current) 2019 Camaro LS I4 - Vitesse Throttle Controller / Mishimoto intake boot and charge pipes / K&N panel / BMR Sway Bars / GFB DV+ / ZZP Larger Throttle Body
omgitsmiketuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:20 AM   #32
alice

Yes, I understand that this is taking a long time. There is a lot involved in working out issues in a conversion like this. It's unknown territory, for sure. Page after page of schematics that must be compared and understood, especially when all of the body control modules are different in the vehicle. Time, time, time. And, of course, I am still a working man and have to run my machine shop and pay bills, so I'm taking my time. I feel like within the next 6-8 weeks, I should be able to confirm this will work or not work. I will keep you posted for sure. Sorry for the slow progress.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:08 PM   #33
alice

Today I constructed the roller platform for the engine/transmission assembly. Turned out great. I will install downpipes and hook everything up for a trail run, when that time comes. So, making progress but again, very slow. Get more popcorn!!
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2016, 09:25 PM   #34
Kcchiefscraig

Drives: 2010 LT synergy green
Any update

Any new updates on this project?
Mods so far Monster Clutch,first ever! Hurst shifter, RS Headlights with halo always on harness, Heritage Grill, Cold Air Inductions CAI, 20% tint, RX catch can, RX clean side seperator, Vmax Iceolator. BBK long tube headers, high flow cats, Magnaflow exhaust, gill stripes, GTO Clutch resevoir, plastic dip wheels emblems.
Kcchiefscraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:40 AM   #35
alice

Ran into a stupid issue. Purchased (1) new ECM for the 2014 LFX. We had a heck of a time figuring out why we couldn't communicate with it from the laptop!! After weeks of time delays, we tried communicating with the ECM on the bench, to eliminate the vehicle in the loop. Much to our surprise, it would not. Defective computer!! Ordered another, waited, more delay and it, too was defective. Purchased from Source One, which is usually pretty good about having good parts. At the suggestion of my programmer, I purchased a new ECM directly from GM. Checked it on the bench, first and finally established communication!!!!

So, we hooked everything up through the vehicle. Established communication perfectly. Tried to download the 2014 program data from the GM server and a pop up window appeared for security! (mismatched VIN's) Had to stop. Programmer took the ECM and is working on a solution. We will have to disable VATS on the vehicle for sure. Currently in process of working that issue out. I am still forging ahead but lost several months due to bad ECM's right out of the box. Who was to guess this could happen? Learned to only purchase ECM's directly from GM, NO AFTERMARKET! Very frustrating and came close to giving up.

The going is slow at this point but still hopeful. Making snails pace progress. Probably will be several more weeks before next update, hang tight.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:58 PM   #36
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar

Glad to hear your still moving forward.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:39 AM   #37
alice

Got to figure out how to disable VATS on the vehicle!! Can't move forward until this obstacle is resolved. GM began Global A electrical architecture in 2010 on the Camaros and it looks at all the body control modules to be sure all conditions are met before allowing the vehicle to start and run. A very complex security system, to say the least. Every module must meet identification codes. Someone help!! We have almost resolved this transplant. I can find no information anywhere on how to overcome this issue and disable VATS on these 5th Gen Camaros.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:48 PM   #38
Tajefe Couple

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice View Post
Got to figure out how to disable VATS on the vehicle!! Can't move forward until this obstacle is resolved. GM began Global A electrical architecture in 2010 on the Camaros and it looks at all the body control modules to be sure all conditions are met before allowing the vehicle to start and run. A very complex security system, to say the least. Every module must meet identification codes. Someone help!! We have almost resolved this transplant. I can find no information anywhere on how to overcome this issue and disable VATS on these 5th Gen Camaros.
I think it was the Diablo Sports techs that got the hellcat engine to run stand alone for GMG.
https://www.holley.com/blog/post/dia...cat_swap_car_/
Might be worth checking into I believe HP could not get it running if I remember right.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:52 AM   #39
alice

I am still waiting on a couple responses from a couple knowledgeable tuners, concerning next steps in tackling these unknown procedural steps forward. As of today, one possibility is to find a 2014 Camaro LFX and temporarily remove it's factory ECM, install my new 2014 GM, unprogrammed ECM and have my mobile programmer load a base 2014 program into it, along with the 2014 VIN.

Next step would be to have a performance tuner take the 2014 ECM and disable VATS and change the 2014 VIN number to my 2010 LLT VIN number but it needs to be DONE ON THE BENCH AND NOT IN THE CAR. (Still haven't verified that disabling VATS and changing the VIN can be done on the bench, as suggested)

Final step (hopefully) would be to roll the 2014 LFX engine/transmission up, next to my LLT, remove the (2) LLT engine harness plugs and plug in the LFX engine harness and see what happens. Obviously, from the pictures in the previous posts, I have the ability to do this without installing the engine in my LLT and if necessary have provided a way to even start and run the LFX on the stand. Codes and communications can then be verified and then proceed to resolve any issues that might remain. This is my daily driver vehicle and I cannot risk down time to install an engine that we don't know will even work in this LLT. This is why I am doing this project the way I am.

If anyone has any further input on this conversion/transplant project, PLEASE feel free to comment and/or assist. This is a FIRST of this kind in the 5th Gen Camaros. Uncharted territory. Hopefully, I will have more information in the coming days/weeks, as to if this is the correct procedure to follow or if another procedure should be tried first.

Footnote: As far as Global A, GM electrical architecture is concerned, it is generally agreed that this should not be of concern (although not written in stone) on this transplant. Global A began in 2010 to date on all Camaros. Google it to see what GM is up to. You will be totally amazed! This technology throws a monkey wrench into people changing and installing used body control modules in their vehicles in an attempt to repair issue themselves. You are at the mercy of the dealer!!!!! If attempted, the secret ID numbers in all the modules from the factory will default the vehicle useless and will not start until the car is taken to a dealer for proper repair. $$$$
Old 04-15-2016, 11:54 AM   #40
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Alice, glad you havnt given up like myself.

This car truly annoys me and gives me grief. Its a love hate relationship. Mines been sitting for almost 2 months now with engine potentially blown.

I don't understand how SS guys can change their motors all day but we cant on our LLT
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:18 PM   #41
alice

It's really not that hard to install and engine into the LLT. Of course, that's assuming you have one ready to load. You drop it out the bottom but you should have access to a lift. Patience will win you everything. It's tough sometimes, though, how well I know that!
Old 04-15-2016, 01:48 PM   #42
Tajefe Couple

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice View Post
It's really not that hard to install and engine into the LLT. Of course, that's assuming you have one ready to load. You drop it out the bottom but you should have access to a lift. Patience will win you everything. It's tough sometimes, though, how well I know that!
Too true my patience level sometimes looks like this.