Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-02-2015, 11:38 PM   #1
mar10

Drives: 2010 SS RS
please help me understand sway bars / which are right for me.

I've been looking through threads about sway bars trying to decide what I should start saving up for. I understand they reduce body roll and improve the turning abilities of our camaros. But I don't know the difference when I look at two different options. I understand there are different thicknesses and solid and tubular options. But I don't know what options are best for what I want. I saw the sway bar stickie thread.

My car is a 2010 2SS/RS. My plans are to get it as close to 500 rwhp as possible and keep it NA and maintain durability. As far as driving habits my car is a second vehicle that I drive a lot. I occasionally go to the drag strip and the road course and the occasional spirited run on a twisty road.

I want to still be able to take the family on a cruise for the day. I want to reduce the body roll and not feel as if I'm getting beat around when ever I drive.

What bars are a good setup for a street car that does a little of everything? What characteristics of the ride do they change? Are there any brands to absolutely avoid?
mar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:07 AM   #2
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: CGM w/Black stripes
Not sure of "brands" to avoid, but we have many great brands on this forum that I wouldn't think twice about getting from. Like BMR, great products, great support, great customer service. Others would be Hotchkis or Eibach.

I also have a 2010 SS, and changing the sways was one of the biggest noticed differences in the handling of a car, going hard into a corner. I have Pfadt sways on mine, and love them.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:18 AM   #3
mar10

Do they make a noticeable difference in the ride quality also?
Old 02-03-2015, 07:57 AM   #4
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: CGM w/Black stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar10 View Post
Do they make a noticeable difference in the ride quality also?
Ride quality would be other suspension components and not necessarily your sway bars. Sway bars are more for 'handling' of the car (sways will not change 'ride quality'). For "ride quality" you may be wanting something like adjustable shocks/coilovers or lowering springs. For launching the car hard, you may be wanting to get some trailing arms and bushings or toe links. That will help eliminate wheel hop.

We may be calling the same thing a different term, so not sure if I'm on the same page as to what you are asking or not.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:12 AM   #5
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: Longest things on Earth
I went with the Level 2 BMR package. It has the adjustable trailing arms, lowering springs, and bushings. It is money well spent and ride quality was a bit stiffer but not intolerable. We take it on vacations and the wife has never complained once! Handling is through the roof, night and day difference. The guys at JDP Motorsports hooked me up with an awesome package.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:22 AM   #6
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Since you have a 2010 with the inboard style FE3 sway bars, I would suggest our FE4 upgrade package; Part # JDPS1005 and a good set of FE4 style sway bars. BMR Part # SB039 or Detroit speed would be my recommendations. The DSE bars are a little stiffer and better balanced in my opinion, but also cost a little more.

Feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions and I'll be happy to help get you setup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by its a syn View Post
I went with the Level 2 BMR package. It has the adjustable trailing arms, lowering springs, and bushings. It is money well spent and ride quality was a bit stiffer but not intolerable. We take it on vacations and the wife has never complained once! Handling is through the roof, night and day difference. The guys at JDP Motorsports hooked me up with an awesome package.
Thanks for the support! Glad to hear you're still loving the car and kept the wife happy!!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:04 PM   #7
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar10 View Post
I want to still be able to take the family on a cruise for the day. I want to reduce the body roll and not feel as if I'm getting beat around when ever I drive.
In general, bars are the solution where flatter cornering at minimum cost to ride quality are your priorities.

In exchange for somewhat flatter cornering, stiffer sta-bars will take 1-wheel bumps a bit more firmly. But not as much more firmly as what springs stiff enough to cut roll by the same amount would, and not harshly like what bottoming the suspension out on the bump stops can feel like.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:37 PM   #8
mar10

Awesome thanks guys. I'm used to sport bikes where everything is a trade off. Thanks for prong my mind at ease.