Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-26-2014, 10:50 AM   #1
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Door Rattles - Possible Cures

In an attempt to diagnose some door rattles, I decided to spend some time taking things apart and figure out where these noises come from. For me, this was about a distinct and cheezy sounded buzzing rattle that came from the upper front of the door every time it was shut. You could hear it on the inside and outside and easily reproduced if you pounded on the outer door shell with the side of your first just below the mirror and on the inside on that upper top left painted metal area just next to the door trim panel. I narrowed it down to the area just above where the electrical connector mounts, you could plainly hear it. However, it was curious since there isn't anything up there inside the door - or so I thought...

The first picture is the outside of the door, obviously. The buzzing metallic sounding rattle was coming from above where that connector is, about a couple of inches from above that hole where the female connector inserts from inside the door shell.

The second picture shows the inside of the door before removal of the connector from the door shell. I noticed if you pull back and let go that corner with the arrow pointing to it, it would slap against the metal of the door shell. Strum it like a guitar and sure enough, that was the same sound I heard when closing the door.

The third picture shows how I put piece of bicycle inner tube as far down as I could (by pulling the metal outward and letting the rubber slip down and then letting the metal go again).

Worked like a charm!
Attached Images

Last edited by blackswan; 11-26-2014 at 01:30 PM.
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:52 AM   #2
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
Op-
so it was that broken clip on the electrical connector?
Old 11-26-2014, 01:32 PM   #3
blackswan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan01 View Post
Op-
so it was that broken clip on the electrical connector?
Hi Spartan, unsure which clip you're looking at, I don't think any were broken on either side but I might have missed something. Alas, such fragile plastics these days.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:17 PM   #4
blackswan

Another "rattle" I discovered is that the rubber insulator will vibrate like a drum when the door is closed. I fixed this by putting a couple of small squares of something like this on the door panel where it contacts this area:

Another noise down...
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2014, 02:24 PM   #5
blackswan

This one was more interesting since it doesn't make a rattle or vibration/flutter sound. The sound this was causing was actually more of a "creak", like an old door opening in a horror movie, but higher pitched and quicker.

That little circular "nub" sits in a mating hole in the door cage. However, it didn't seem to be sitting perfectly centered and the ridge of the "nub" was rubbing against the metal and creating this noise (as you'll sometimes get with rubber rubbing things).

I put some silicone grease on the backside and noise gone!
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2014, 02:26 PM   #6
blackswan

This one was subtle and I'm not 100% if it was making a noise, but this tag is pretty stiff. If I picked it up and let it go, it would hit the metal and making a light ticking noise. I wrapped it with a small cable tie
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2014, 02:30 PM   #7
blackswan

Next up, the tweeter. This was a noise that was a 'ticking' plasticy noise when driving. I don't have a picture, but it was the tweeter itself inside the frame. There's a phone pad that pushes against the tweeter to hold it in place, along with plastic tabs - that might have been working 3 years ago I put another piece of foam in to hold it, but there's also an issue with the tabs that hold the cover on, one side is plastic tabs and the other is a screw. Things were a little warped on the non-screw side and I had to apply liquid duct tape (super glue) lightly in a couple of spots. Plastic cement might have held better longer term, but I find it melts plastic a bit and it will be a bear to get apart in the future. Small dot or two of superglue and you can cut with exacto between the halves in the future, if required.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:32 PM   #8
blackswan

PS: This is an RS and I was totally underwhelmed by the woofer. Cheapa$$ driver. The dome tweeter wasn't so bad, but it make me want to get replacements.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:00 PM   #9
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
great information

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:55 PM   #10
blackswan

Thanks pleasure to help
Old 11-30-2014, 02:50 PM   #11
blackswan

Another source of "squeak/creak" is the rubber along the mirror. I noticed if I push on it horizontally side-to-side I could easily make it squeak. Would benefit from a thing film of grease I supposed, there are quite a few areas like this where the rubber contacts painted finish.
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2014, 08:50 PM   #12
blackswan

By the way I used rubbing alcohol to refresh the stickiness is that glue used on the rubber rain shield
Old 11-23-2015, 07:43 PM   #13
The Flash

Drives: Firebird 95, Equinox 05, Camaro 2SS
You brought a new meaning to...

"...sweating the details".

What a thorough work and investigative job!

Thanks for sharing the results of your hard work and for taking the trouble to put pics in your post

I made a reference and will come back to copy/paste and save your post for future reference.

Safe driving,

The Flash
Old 11-24-2015, 05:22 PM   #14
Airway Monkey

Drives: 2015 2SS/1LE
So I'm glad I'm reading this now....just started hearing a ticking and vibration from the passenger side door panel/possible tweeter on the passenger side door that will start while driving or with any volume greater than 14 (even talk shows----and that's just aggravating). And only 6000 miles.....UGH

-Matt
Airway Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote