Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-28-2020, 07:48 PM   #1
HoodCheck

Drives: 2018 ZLE (M6/hyper blue)
Z/28 vs. ZL1 1LE on the road comparisons?

Hey guys.... tried the search function, and the damn site keeps erroring out on every search attempt, so just asking... I know some of you own 6th gen ZLEs...

I ran across a fairly decent deal on a '19 ZL1 1LE that has me thinking about trading in my Z/28 (in fact, I'm already approved). I don't really want to let the Z/28 go, but can't justify keeping both, so trying to do research to help me decide.
I know creature comforts are there...I know there is sound dampening...I know the downside of the super limited cargo space, and smaller back seats...

What I am curious of is how the ride compares. My understanding is they go with a metal "bushing" instead of the rubber bushing. Things I've read from Z/28 owners that currently have both, and ones that have traded in, seem to vary. Some say the ZL1 1LE is stiffer and less comfortable from that arena, while others say the Z/28 is...and still others say they are about the same.
So which is it??

I by no means mind the ride in the Z/28, at all, I like it. To me its no worse than any other camaro I've owned (which is a LOT). I would however like to be able to drive on roads with those speed humps without going diagonal over the things so as to not bottom out or nail the front splitter. After all the upgrades I did recently, it'd definitely be a shot in the foot trading it in (both in monetary and time cost).

I haven't driven a ZLE yet, and I don't expect it would be much different than the Z/28 overall riding (tbh, its mostly used as a short ride grocery getter type of car lol - I don't track it, but I occasionally do late night/empty back road runs on the roads around me), but I don't want to tell them yea let's do it, get out there and go "no, I like the feel of the Z/28 better" or something like that, because the place is a bit of a haul (for me and my time constraints it might as well be on the other side of the world, but its really only like 1.5 hrs).

On the flip side of all of that; I like the DSSV, I like the manual, but I HATE the stupid ass spoiler and front canards...looks totally canarded :| But I do like the look overall.
HoodCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 11:01 PM   #2
birdmanf16

Drives: 2022 Zl1 1lE
Send a message via MSN to birdmanf16 Send a message via Yahoo to birdmanf16
I own a z and my friend has a zle that I have driven. The z is between an ss 1le (I own one) and a zle. The zle is by far rougher riding, but it does have the bells and whistles. Unfortunately, it is so uncomfortable you wont use the bells and whistles because you wont drive it much. Het an ss 1le and add 150 hp...the perfect camaro.
birdmanf16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 11:29 PM   #3
HoodCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdmanf16 View Post
I own a z and my friend has a zle that I have driven. The z is between an ss 1le (I own one) and a zle. The zle is by far rougher riding, but it does have the bells and whistles. Unfortunately, it is so uncomfortable you wont use the bells and whistles because you wont drive it much. Het an ss 1le and add 150 hp...the perfect camaro.

Funny enough I added around that to the Z/28 (well, 647/581 at the block according to ODB...so 142hp added, assuming its fairly accurate) I wouldn't bother with a 5th or 6th gen SS though; I've had both, and both were unimpressive to me. If I were to get something else, I'd have to get something similar in power to my current Z/28, but stock. I don't want to deal with the hassle of the upgrades anymore (or the lack of warranty) after the Z/28. I'm actually thinking of going back to stock with it as well (its still technically under warranty, and that should get me covered again).

Last edited by HoodCheck; 01-29-2020 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:23 AM   #4
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Keep the Z/28.
Attached Images

ariZona28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:34 AM   #5
DasBaldDog

Drives: 2017 Focus RS
Oooh this is a difficult one.....

All in all, I'd keep the Z/28. Mainly because it has something the ZLE doesn't have.... subtlety. Car guys know it, everyone else ignores it. I like that.
DasBaldDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 09:56 AM   #6
HoodCheck

Thanks guys.

@Arizona28 - sweeeeeeet
Old 01-29-2020, 09:15 PM   #7
Og Neon
Lover of Speed

Drives: 2018 ZLE
I currently own them both and have done 4k mile road rallys (One Lap of America) plus numerous track days and autocrosses in both of them.

The ZLE does have way better creature comforts but is way more annoying to drive on public roads. It has so much and it rides pretty rough on the street. My wife and I constantly hit our heads on the roof going over bridge transitions on the highway. We joke about the purpose of the seat belt is to minimize your impact with the roof. But when you get the car on the track, it is an animal! And you can tell that is where it is meant to live.

The Z/28 I use to think rode rough, but now I think it is the perfect street bruiser. It sounds better and has a better presence about it. It sits very squat and the suspension means business but it doesn't beat you up in the car. Additionally, it sounds way better on cold start up and just idling around. My Z/28 has become my modern day hot rod now that is fun to cruise in, but when you want to get it, it still goes and handles well.

Both cars are awesome but the ZLE is too much for the street but worth every penny when you get it on the track. The Z/28 is streetable and fun to do either track or street with, but much more liveable on the streets.

2021 One Lap of America Track Videos
2019 One Lap of America Track Videos
2017 One Lap of America Track Videos

2022 Ram TRX
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
2020 Range Rover Sport SVR (Sold)
2014 Grand Cherokee SRT (Sold)
2014 Camaro Z/28 (Sold)
Og Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 09:32 PM   #8
HoodCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Og Neon View Post
I currently own them both and have done 4k mile road rallys (One Lap of America) plus numerous track days and autocrosses in both of them.

The ZLE does have way better creature comforts but is way more annoying to drive on public roads. It has so much and it rides pretty rough on the street. My wife and I constantly hit our heads on the roof going over bridge transitions on the highway. We joke about the purpose of the seat belt is to minimize your impact with the roof. But when you get the car on the track, it is an animal! And you can tell that is where it is meant to live.

The Z/28 I use to think rode rough, but now I think it is the perfect street bruiser. It sounds better and has a better presence about it. It sits very squat and the suspension means business but it doesn't beat you up in the car. Additionally, it sounds way better on cold start up and just idling around. My Z/28 has become my modern day hot rod now that is fun to cruise in, but when you want to get it, it still goes and handles well.

Both cars are awesome but the ZLE is too much for the street but worth every penny when you get it on the track. The Z/28 is streetable and fun to do either track or street with, but much more liveable on the streets.

Exactly what I was looking to know. Thanks
Old 01-30-2020, 02:50 PM   #9
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
I have both, there so close to each other in there driving manners, the ZLE has a lot more power, the Z/28 has the looks IMO, I have 7500mi per car lots of track time in both.

For a DVD car get a good set of tires.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:24 AM   #10

Drives: 2015 z28
Keep the Z/28

It looks better, sounds better, is still faster than 99.999999999% of anything you will encounter on the road

oh and its rare
1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 04:27 PM   #11
HoodCheck

I ended up getting a "regular" '17 ZL1. They gave me a good offer and it actually dropped my monthly costs fairly significantly (not counting gas). That being said, I regretted it, and was planning to call the dealership yesterday to try to swap back, but got a text beforehand telling me they sold it already :|
I will have another Z/28 in the garage in the next few years for sure. The ZL1 is a bad ass car, but it sure doesn't give the same seat of the pants feel.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:58 PM   #12

Drives: 2015 z28
what the hell were you thinking m8??
1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:27 PM   #13
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Kind of off topic but comparing zl1 and z28 brakes. Does the 17+ zl1 have the same carbon ceramic brakes as the z28? Looking for brake pads, I’ve ran into aftermarket listing the z28 and 17+ zl1 with the same pads?
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:41 PM   #14
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Hey, you're still in the cool car club as far as I'm concerned. Once you get used to it I'm sure you'll love your '17. Take it out and flog it a bit. They are amazing machines. Your just going through a little sellers remorse. Not sure what kinda voodoo or witchcraft ritual GM performed with the Z/28 but it sure has a powerful spell on me.
Attached Images

ariZona28 is offline   Reply With Quote