Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-28-2020, 08:45 PM   #1
xXSharkfhinXx

Drives: 2015 2SS RS
here is a good horsepower/tq question

say for example you have an L99 engine, 30k miles and you have almost fbo items such as...

cai
lt headers
hf cats
resonator delete
cat back system
95mm tb
tune

lets say this gets you 370 to 380hp/380 to 390tq ish

what is the safest next mod to do to a l99 engine for someone who just likes power and may race it on the street on rolls and maybe 2 or 3 times on track for fun after the real cars run lol....something that could get the l99 to rwhp and torque in the mid 400s without changing much? then finally, retuning car.....ok what ya got....

Last edited by xXSharkfhinXx; 01-28-2020 at 09:45 PM.
xXSharkfhinXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:53 PM   #2
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
A 75-100 shot maybe?
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:57 PM   #3
xXSharkfhinXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
A 75-100 shot maybe?
remember the "safest mod"
Old 01-28-2020, 09:04 PM   #4

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Stall then gears won't give you ponies. But you sure will feel it MORE than other bolt ons
205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:12 PM   #5
xXSharkfhinXx

i can agree about gears.....i guess im different but id go with 3.73s personally.....just because im not on the track every weekend.....
Old 01-28-2020, 09:28 PM   #6
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSharkfhinXx View Post
remember the "safest mod"
I don't how you'd gain more HP to be in mid 400's (at RWHP) unless you ran nitrous. A cam swap and ported heads/intake could probably do it, but then you're changing stuff.

Gears and a stall won't increase power. They just allow you to make the most of what you do have by making the power come on quicker in the RPM range. If you don't want to change too much stuff, then it's going to be really difficult to gain 75-100 rwhp.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:41 PM   #7
xXSharkfhinXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
I don't how you'd gain more HP to be in mid 400's (at RWHP) unless you ran nitrous. A cam swap and ported heads/intake could probably do it, but then you're changing stuff.

Gears and a stall won't increase power. They just allow you to make the most of what you do have by making the power come on quicker in the RPM range. If you don't want to change too much stuff, then it's going to be really difficult to gain 75-100 rwhp.
was just wondering if nitrous was more dangerous to the engine than that of a stage 1 cam? thats what i mean by safe? does either mod require supporting mods to keep engine safer from something really breaking by using either mod?....this was what i meant by safest mod to increase hp

what about all these different cams? would it be safe to say a stage 1 cam would be fine ?
Old 01-28-2020, 09:45 PM   #8
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
With the L99 and those bolt ons you have hit the power wall. Basically any big jump in HP from this point on is going to require either opening up the engine for a cam or blowing air/nitrous into it. You could bolt on CNC ported heads, but that's only going to get you to around 400. To be perfectly honest, until you get those AFM lifters out of your car I really wouldn't want to be making much more power anyhow.

The safest way to get you into the mid 400s is really going to be with a cam and supporting mods. If there was an easier way then people would be doing it. You seem to know where you want to be power wise. So I would set some goals and start saving to make it happen.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:52 PM   #9
xXSharkfhinXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
With the L99 and those bolt ons you have hit the power wall. Basically any big jump in HP from this point on is going to require either opening up the engine for a cam or blowing air/nitrous into it. You could bolt on CNC ported heads, but that's only going to get you to around 400. To be perfectly honest, until you get those AFM lifters out of your car I really wouldn't want to be making much more power anyhow.

The safest way to get you into the mid 400s is really going to be with a cam and supporting mods. If there was an easier way then people would be doing it. You seem to know where you want to be power wise. So I would set some goals and start saving to make it happen.

good stuff........i personally dont want to get into the mid 4s, simply cause i dont wanna modify the engine itself....closest i can get to 400hp would be fine for me which are just bolt ons.....as far as the afm lifters, i have those off in my tune...car woke up lol...am i good this route?

on a side note ...if id modify id purchase a supercharger with all the supporting mods.....lol.........
Old 01-28-2020, 09:59 PM   #10
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
If you want to be quick at the track go with a stall and 3.91 gears. Those gears also play well on the street with these cars. More horsepower, your next step is a cam, afm delete, you can keep VVT or delete it as well. You can do a small shot of nitrous but that gets expensive too. Biggest bang for your buck, lsa supercharger. You can get one used with everything you need for around 2k, pulleys ect. Add a boost a pump and can be running over 500whp pretty easily and safely. Easier to do than a cam too.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:26 PM   #11
xXSharkfhinXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
If you want to be quick at the track go with a stall and 3.91 gears. Those gears also play well on the street with these cars. More horsepower, your next step is a cam, afm delete, you can keep VVT or delete it as well. You can do a small shot of nitrous but that gets expensive too. Biggest bang for your buck, lsa supercharger. You can get one used with everything you need for around 2k, pulleys ect. Add a boost a pump and can be running over 500whp pretty easily and safely. Easier to do than a cam too.
if i were to ever go that route you said exactly what id do...supercharger...lsa blower....
Old 01-28-2020, 10:39 PM   #12
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSharkfhinXx View Post
if i were to ever go that route you said exactly what id do...supercharger...lsa blower....
This is what I’m going to do but with a mild boost cam and afm delete on top of it.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:41 PM   #13
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 BIG cam
Ditch those ricer wheels for starters, then supercharger be the only way to get your car into the mid 400whp with out tearing down the motor
Old 01-28-2020, 11:20 PM   #14
xXSharkfhinXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidscamaro View Post
Ditch those ricer wheels for starters, then supercharger be the only way to get your car into the mid 400whp with out tearing down the motor
Ditch Ricer? Wheels.... what is ricer? If you mean my rims, yes i hate them, they were on the car when I purchased them, i want all black rims. Those rims are American Racing brand....I've spent over 2k on tires ,catback, cai and tunes...it's in the list just saving up more money....