Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 02-25-2011, 12:19 AM   #1
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Diff Fluid and Tranny Fluid

Hey Guys,

I'm planning to do my first Tranny and Differential Fluid change. I know the tranny fluid change requires some sort of fluid pump. However, does the differential need it?

Also, anyone know what kind of pump I need to look for? Name of the pump, and recommended brands =D

Thanks guys!
Old 02-25-2011, 12:46 AM   #2
khabboub
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: Sold c7, in the market!
i know that you can just run a tube (i think 4 feet is long enough) from the engine compartment to the transmission fill up plug. thats what i plan on doing.

and i know that for the diff oil you need some sort of lubricant additive, but does it need to be added for the tranny oil as well?

and one more thing, i know that the lubricant additive already comes in some of the mobil 1 diff oils. the ones that are marked with LS i think...... I THINK!!!!!!!!

oh and to answer your last question i did my diff oil change a while back. no you do not need the pump, the diff oil bottle will fit in the whole, you just have to hold it for a bit and squeeze it a bunch.
khabboub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:34 AM   #3
jagan323
I have no life

You also have the Manual Differential.. I dont think the Auto V6 needs the lubricant additive. But thanks for your help.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:50 AM   #4
khabboub
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: Sold c7, in the market!
ooh sorry, yeah i have the M6 V6
khabboub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:15 AM   #5
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Drives: Orange Krate DOB - 11/22/2010
How many miles on the fluid? Manual vs Automatic makes a difference. Rear differential? Keep in mind there is talk about that NOT using the recommended manufacturers OE gear oil etc may void warranty. Many of the folks in the forums are switching over to Royal Purple and claim their manual trans and differentials are much quieter and smoother with power gains. I am using the Royal Purple oil and oil filter and notice a power increase. I am holding on the Royal Purple change in the transmission and rear diff until the questions about the notchy transmission and grinding gear issues are resolved.

Simi Valley, CA
email: orangekrate2011@yahoo.com
Orange Krate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:49 AM   #6
JKLNHYD
Defending the Nation...

Drives: '16 Summit White 2SS, A8, Sunroof
I did Royal Purple for the trans and can confirm I have never had a problem not shifting smoothly. And I drive my 2LT hard! I have used it for many other previous applications prior to owning my Camaro as well...

'16 2SS, A8, Sunroof, non-NPP
"SURSUM AB ORDINE"
JKLNHYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:07 AM   #7
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan323 View Post
You also have the Manual Differential.. I dont think the Auto V6 needs the lubricant additive. But thanks for your help.
The auto differential does need the additive (not the tranny itself)

And FWIW, if you use the Mobile 1 rear Diff fluid that has additive in it, you still need to add additive.. otherwise it will make quite a lot of noise.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:09 AM   #8
Blackhawk6

Drives: Born:18 Sept 2009 #47903
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKLNHYD View Post
I did Royal Purple for the trans and can confirm I have never had a problem not shifting smoothly. And I drive my 2LT hard! I have used it for many other previous applications prior to owning my Camaro as well...
+1
2010 Camaro 2SS________________________________________Litho#140

Blackhawk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:41 AM   #9
jagan323
I have no life

cool guys. But any ideas about where I can get the pump for the tranny?

Thanks
Old 02-25-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
jagan323
I have no life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtzako View Post
The auto differential does need the additive (not the tranny itself)

And FWIW, if you use the Mobile 1 rear Diff fluid that has additive in it, you still need to add additive.. otherwise it will make quite a lot of noise.
I just called GM for the parts... and they didn't mention that the auto rear diff needs an addidtive. Are you sure? Theres also no mention in the Users Manual.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #11
CyberDan

Drives: 1SS Camaro
I've searched but can't seem to find a clear definite answer.

I've got a automatic ss, I'm looking to Chang my diff oil but what lubricant should I use that's not going to void my warranty? What oil is in the differential to begin with?

Thanks for any help
CAI Cold Air Intake, VMax CNC TB, Borla Sport Catback Exhaust, EE Oil Catch Can, Eibach Sway Bars and Drop Springs, AAC concept side markers, stealth signal bulbs, Heritage grille, Sparks Restorations front and rear modern SS emblems
CyberDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:45 PM   #12
jagan323
I have no life

Auto SS? You have limited slip diff... which will be a different oil than the one I used for sure. In your owners manual, it TELLS you exactly what you need for ur rear diff. Lots of ppl tell u to go different brands, but the best way to keep your warranty is to use GM oils. I got mine at the dealership... they even tell u what you need, if u just give them ur make and model =) If you want to DIY, you can go here:

http://spadesv6.blogspot.com/2011/03...ntial-oil.html

Goodluck =)