Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-05-2009, 11:15 PM   #127
Rockytophummer

Drives: 2006 Hummer H2 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGruff View Post
LS/LT = V6
SS = V8
Z28 = V8

Having a Z28 or an SS will have the exact same response to the "V6 or V8?" question. Also, people who still say the SS isn't good enough can just say they bought their Camaro when the Z28 wasn't available.

Some people with the SS will trade up, no doubt. However, the difference between the SS and Z28 is not as drastic as the difference between a LT and a SS. V6 or V8, that's always been the deciding question when talking about muscle cars and always will be until they kill the V8's someday in the future. I'm not saying I agree with that opinion but I live in the real world...and in the real world some people look down on the V6 because it's a V6.
I agree with you. I just hate seeing the bashing all these fellow Camaro owners are doing to each other cause regardless of the size motor I think these cars are sweet! Cause if I hadnt got my 2SS I would've took the V6 in a heartbeat. I just know the V6 is all some people could afford in order to be able to enjoy these sweet cars. I try giving everyone congrats on having 1 of these bueatys! So to everyone enjoy your rides regardless of engine size! and to all the people still waiting on your cars you wont be unimpressed or at least I wasnt I love this car! Its even more fun driving than the Vette I used to own!
Rockytophummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:33 PM   #128
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
The whole point of the V8 SS is SUPER SPORT. It's SUPPOSED to be a higher power model than the V6. There's nothing wrong with the sporty V6; the V8 was intentionally designed to be super sporty and quite properly has the reputation to match. You'll note that the designers deliberately gave the SS a more muscular front bumper as well as the mail slot (which to me should have been an actual intake; the one area I wish they hadn't compromised on). They did this so the SS would be more than just an engine swap. It also has the Brembos. SUPER sport; HIGH performance. Also, higher insurance because of all that.

Anybody buying a V6 Camaro is getting a beautiful, fantastic car. If other people don't like it fine; let them buy what they like but don't let them put you down; you drive a Camaro with all the style and heritage that name means.

The SS is in a class by itself and it should be; that's what it's designed to be, which is why it costs more. All the Camaros are beautiful; but the power and glory goes to the SS... just the way it is. Nothing wrong with any of them.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:23 AM   #129
1998 Brickyard

Drives: 2010 RS & 1998 Brickyard SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbrankxx View Post
I ordered the V6 but like I said in one of my other posts, I really don't need a V8 to go to work everyday...it's nice to have that extra HP with the V8 but I think it's just overkill...I mean other than racing somebody (on a rare occasion somebody wants to race me) when the hell are you gonna need 426HP really? City driving where I live I'll be lucky to be going 55 mph max... Like Bruce Almighty said "All this horsepower and no room to gallop!" Plus you factor in gas is always climbing up, and you gotta use premium for the V8, also your insurance will be higher cause they know what's under the hood...yeah I know the true muscle car is always the V8 but I'll be more than content with the V6 for my needs...
3000 3/26/09
3100 4/30/09
3300 4/30/09
3400 5/7/09
3800 5/14/09 - 2G1FB1EV3A9110149
4200 5/23/09
4800 6/2/09 Almost here...
5000 6/3/09
6000 6/4/09
1998 Brickyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:35 AM   #130
McGruff

Drives: 98 Saturn
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbrankxx View Post
I ordered the V6 but like I said in one of my other posts, I really don't need a V8 to go to work everyday...it's nice to have that extra HP with the V8 but I think it's just overkill...I mean other than racing somebody (on a rare occasion somebody wants to race me) when the hell are you gonna need 426HP really? City driving where I live I'll be lucky to be going 55 mph max... Like Bruce Almighty said "All this horsepower and no room to gallop!" Plus you factor in gas is always climbing up, and you gotta use premium for the V8, also your insurance will be higher cause they know what's under the hood...yeah I know the true muscle car is always the V8 but I'll be more than content with the V6 for my needs...

No one here is doubting the V6 is a good car, but it still doesn't change the fact that people outside this forum will hear the word "V6" and immediately brush off the car as not good. You don't need to convince us and there will be no convincing them, so just enjoy the car and ignore negative comments if/when they come.
McGruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:54 AM   #131
FISHTAIL

Drives: Sedan & 2SS / RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by marodude View Post
V6 or V8 The 2010 Camaro is freakin cool
here's to all camaro owners
They should everyones choice
especially if they bought one!
After all, did you really buy one to race or just becaus they're so freakin cool?
Old 07-06-2009, 12:01 PM   #132
geminidreams

Drives: ABM 2LT / RS
Thank you for that comment regarding us V6 Camaro owner's and soon to be owner's. I really wouldnt mind the v8 except for me the price and gas price.. Now here in Utah the V8 is not cheaper for insurance. The V6 is 30.00 more a month go figure... Maybe when I get my auto it will be the other way around as it should be. If someone wants to donate to my SS fund of an extra 6K I would gladly take it then I can be in the SS club lol.. j/k but I thought it was funny..
geminidreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:06 PM   #133
FISHTAIL

Drives: Sedan & 2SS / RS
Don’t call it the V6, just call it the standard model! After all the V8 is a performance upgrade.

This is how it will paly out..

(Fred) So what Camaro did you get? (Mike) I got the standard model It's awesome it came with the Cadillac engine but with an additional 40 HP! (Mike) Can you believe that!? (Fred) Cool! Can I take it for a spin? (Mike) No, sorry my insurance don't cover anyone but me..
Old 07-06-2009, 12:16 PM   #134
wullger
Supercharged

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHTAIL View Post
Don’t call it the V6, just call it the standard model! After all the V8 is a performance upgrade.

This is how it will paly out..

(Fred) So what Camaro did you get? (Mike) I got the standard model It's awesome it came with the Cadillac engine but with an additional 40 HP! (Mike) Can you believe that!? (Fred) Cool! Can I take it for a spin? (Mike) No, sorry my insurance don't cover anyone but me..
The "it's the Caddy v6" angle seems to work best.

Was talking with some family members over the holiday weekend, and we got to talking about what car my mom should get to replace her Crown Vic. I grinned and said she should just get a v6 Camaro, since it'd get awesome gas mileage (she has a ~40 mile commute each way daily), and she turned her nose up at the thought of a v6, as did my brother. When I mentioned "Oh, but this isn't an old-school v6, it's the same v6 as the Cadillacs have!", they started grinning.

Besides--least it's not some rice powered import!

Appearance Mods:
Heritage Grille, ZL1 Replica Wheels
Performance Mods:
Flowmaster ARH Cat-Back Exhaust, ADM CAI, ADM L99-LS3 Conversion, ADM LSA Supercharger Kit, Lingenfelter GT9 Cam, Stainless Power Headers, Detroit Speed Sway Bars, ZL1 Fuel Pump

581 rwhp/535 lb/ft tq
wullger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:17 PM   #135
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wullger View Post
The "it's the Caddy v6" angle seems to work best.

Was talking with some family members over the holiday weekend, and we got to talking about what car my mom should get to replace her Crown Vic. I grinned and said she should just get a v6 Camaro, since it'd get awesome gas mileage (she has a ~40 mile commute each way daily), and she turned her nose up at the thought of a v6, as did my brother. When I mentioned "Oh, but this isn't an old-school v6, it's the same v6 as the Cadillacs have!", they started grinning.

Besides--least it's not some rice powered import!
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:59 PM   #136
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
As far as worrying about what other people think, if you knew how little of it they actually do, you wouldn't worry about it.
I think you guys are overlooking a great quote there!!!!! Thanks Doc!!!!

Got the same crap about my '84 Monte SS, "you should have got a Grand National." Always made by a posuer who owned neither. My money, my choice.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:02 PM   #137
marodude

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS RJT
GTF outta here!

Showed my Camaro to a guy who kept saying how beautiful it was and cool; then after walking off he exclaims " I'd like to get a "Mustang"

I nearly fell over.
marodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #138
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
....I guess he missed the huge bowtie on the grille
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:12 AM   #139
BrianGriffin78

Drives: 2009 GMC Yukon
A Camaro is a Camaro. Some people wanted to get the V8 and some people wanted the V6. There is nothing wrong with the V6. I got the SS because it was the top trim model. I wanted to go all out with this car. If you could afford it I say get the 2SS. However, I believe the 2LT and 2SS have all the same options except for different engine types of course, and you don't get a SS emblem on the car.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:32 AM   #140
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
[QUOTE=FISHTAIL;652522]Don’t call it the V6, just call it the standard model! After all the V8 is a performance upgrade.

how about "entry level" Camaro?
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote