Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-17-2015, 04:46 PM   #15
leadfoot93
Camaro Fan

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS Garnet Red
Did you get them from tirerack?
3800 Status: 10/13/15 VIN #116519
4200 Status: 12/19/15
Delivered : 12/28/15
leadfoot93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:58 PM   #16
Imp
Dodges all the cones

Drives: Soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeSS View Post
All season tires are rated to a minimum of 40 degrees anyway.
Not all all seasons are the same. Just like summer tires, there is no one temperature that all tires within a tire type (summer, all season, winter) loses grip or "is bad".

Most all seasons will work much better than summer tires in cold temperatures, and the good ones excel in the cold weather more than cheap bad ones due to their silica and composition makeup.

But to say that "all season tires are rated to a minimum of 40 degrees" doesn't mean they don't perform well when it's freezing and below.

Continental DWS and the new DWS06 do great in cold temps and are generally one of the best all seasons in the snow (but do not compare to true snow tires). They allow you to get around safely, but only at a slight sacrifice. SNow tires are the ultimate tires for snow if you encounter it often.

I've always had Subarus, and in the winter, they always have snow tires. Because there's nothing more fun than going sideways with snows in a completely controllable drift.

--kC
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:11 PM   #17
lDejavul

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot93 View Post
Did you get them from tirerack?
I did, and found someone to put them one. There was one out of the list of like 20 in my area that would do it. All the rest had a restriction.
Dual Mode Exhaust
MRC
Splash Guards

1G1FG1R74G0124089
lDejavul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:54 PM   #18
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
I found in Colorado that all season tired mean three season.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:37 PM   #19
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
If I spend 40K+ on Motor Trends Car of the Year, let alone a Hot Sports car I would spend the money on good Snow Tires
BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:25 AM   #20
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
I found in Colorado that all season tired mean three season.
+1 from New England.

I will say that there's always the "good driver being careful" caveat and "my dad drove his 68 SS 396 each way to work uphill both ways in the winter" guys, where, yes it's quite possible, but it's not really safe and prudent.

I will be putting DWS06 (or maybe Mich Pilot Sport A/S 3 if I can get my Mich buddy to hook me up, and also sizes, c'mon Mich make a 300+ tire!) for my SS, as for maybe 4 months of prime "summer only" tire temps around here. Not going to drive in the winter, so no worries about snows. We have an AWD Infinti and a Tundra 4x4 for those times.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:24 AM   #21
i007spectre

Drives: 2016 2SS, 2008 HHR ECTO-2H
A restriction on putting non run flats on a car that came with run flats from the factory is ridiculous. GM did everything right with the 2016 except using run flats. Do they even make winter run flat tires?

GM is really screwing their owners with that.

From tirerack.

Quote:
Can I mount non-run-flat tires on my stock wheels even if my vehicle came with run-flat tires as Original Equipment?

Yes. But keep in mind that many times when a vehicle is equipped with run-flat tires from the factory, a spare tire is not included. Some drivers opt to carry a full-size spare or a space saver spare tire. Another option is to carry a product like the Continental ContiComfortKit for temporary mobility in the event a tire is punctured.
Also note that when you first change from a run-flat to a non-run-flat tire, the installer will need run-flat capable equipment to remove the original tire. Many of our Recommended Installers have this equipment
3000 - 9/30
3100 - 10/27
3300 - 10/28
3400 - 10/29 TPW 11/09
3800 - 11/10
4300 - 11/24
4B00 - 11/25
4200 - 12/5
5000 - 12/7
6000 - 12/11
i007spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:56 AM   #22
leadfoot93
Camaro Fan

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS Garnet Red
There are some winter run flats but they are about 1800 for the set. If they had some Ultra performance All Season run flats I would get them but they don't.
3800 Status: 10/13/15 VIN #116519
4200 Status: 12/19/15
Delivered : 12/28/15
leadfoot93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:22 AM   #23
Imp
Dodges all the cones

Quote:
Originally Posted by i007spectre View Post
A restriction on putting non run flats on a car that came with run flats from the factory is ridiculous. GM did everything right with the 2016 except using run flats. Do they even make winter run flat tires?

GM is really screwing their owners with that.

From tirerack.
You can choose to mount and drive on any tire you want on your car. All run flats are good for is contingency from being stuck on the side of the road, where a non-RFT will just go flat faster, *maybe* requiring a tow.

A puncture to both tires can be fixed the same, with a plug if it's in the tread area. (A dealer will want to replace the tire).

If any tire (runflat and non) were run for a distance on extremely low pressures, there's going to be damage to the sidewall. On a non-RFT, it's really apparent. On a RFT, it's not. So a replacement tire (or tires if significantly worn) will generally be a good measure to perform.

Lots of cars aren't coming with spares these days. Not many people even know how to change them these days (or just flat out don't want to), but EVERYONE now have a cell phone (where being on a highway years ago meant "problem" with no easy communication) and can call for road-side service through AAA or similar (and GM has Roadside Assistance too).

So, I'm not really sure where you get the "GM is really screwing their owners" idea.

--kC
Old 11-18-2015, 11:25 AM   #24
Imp
Dodges all the cones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curr View Post
I will be putting DWS06
yep. Had the older version on my Pontiac G8GT for winter dirviing, and they were ... more than up to the task. In the cold weather, they were also just fine and didn't get hard as a rock like many other all seasons are known to do.

Heck, I just put the DWS06 on my Subaru. And will debate whether I put the snow tires on this winter after the 1st couple snows.

The *only thing* that DWS are known for, and the 06 is no exception, they do flatspot when sitting over night in the cold. It disappears within a 1/2 mile. Due to their softish silicone compound they use. But you will feel the vibration until they do become round again.

--kC

Last edited by Imp; 11-18-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:51 AM   #25
i007spectre

Drives: 2016 2SS, 2008 HHR ECTO-2H
Quote:
Originally Posted by lDejavul View Post
okay so new problem. I tried to order and have those Continental ExtremeContact DWS delivered to a local shop for install but all the shops have a restriction stating they wont put non run flats on a car that comes with run flats. Is changing to non-run flats really a big deal? I called them and they said its a safety issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
You can choose to mount and drive on any tire you want on your car. All run flats are good for is contingency from being stuck on the side of the road, where a non-RFT will just go flat faster, *maybe* requiring a tow.

A puncture to both tires can be fixed the same, with a plug if it's in the tread area. (A dealer will want to replace the tire).

If any tire (runflat and non) were run for a distance on extremely low pressures, there's going to be damage to the sidewall. On a non-RFT, it's really apparent. On a RFT, it's not. So a replacement tire (or tires if significantly worn) will generally be a good measure to perform.

Lots of cars aren't coming with spares these days. Not many people even know how to change them these days (or just flat out don't want to), but EVERYONE now have a cell phone (where being on a highway years ago meant "problem" with no easy communication) and can call for road-side service through AAA or similar (and GM has Roadside Assistance too).

So, I'm not really sure where you get the "GM is really screwing their owners" idea.

--kC
The top comment above. He said tire shops have a restriction on putting non run flats on cars that come with them. So if that's true why would GM limit us like that.
But the quote I posted from tirerack makes no mention of a restriction.

Maybe just need clarification here.
3000 - 9/30
3100 - 10/27
3300 - 10/28
3400 - 10/29 TPW 11/09
3800 - 11/10
4300 - 11/24
4B00 - 11/25
4200 - 12/5
5000 - 12/7
6000 - 12/11
i007spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:06 PM   #26
Imp
Dodges all the cones

There are dealers and shops out there that probably do have that, what I shall call "ill-informed" policy. If that's the case, shop around. There is zero, nadda, zilch safety issue with running RFT vs non RFT that would/should expose a tire dealer for a consumer choice. They will both lose air in a puncture. The only real safety issue, is that you have to pull over asap with a non-RFT in the case of a puncture, where a RFT will allow you to get off the road + some distance. That is the only issue, and should, and usually is, a CONSUMER decision to deal with and not a corporation. Heck, even Tire Rack agrees that you can run non-RFT on a car that originally came equipped with RFT.

This is why we NOW HAVE MANDATED TPMS sensors in tires... to tell us that tires are losing pressure. (Thank you Ford/Firestone).

I think he encountered someone there toting a line that's been fed to them.

The OP should name the tire place that made this policy, because it's pretty much dead nuts... wrong.

--kC
Old 11-18-2015, 01:27 PM   #27
LOBBS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I live in the Kansas City area and the first purchase I made for my '10 2SS was a set of Continental DWS all-seasons. My Camaro is a year-round daily and like you, in Oklahoma, we only get a few days a winter of fresh snow but plenty of cold. The Contis have performed flawlessly through every form of weather I've faced. Sure, I give up some top-end handling. Honestly, I'd need a track to really push the limits of these all-seasons and I'd rather just mount up a dedicated set of tires and wheels for that situation.
LOBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:35 PM   #28
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
yep. Had the older version on my Pontiac G8GT for winter dirviing, and they were ... more than up to the task. In the cold weather, they were also just fine and didn't get hard as a rock like many other all seasons are known to do.

Heck, I just put the DWS06 on my Subaru. And will debate whether I put the snow tires on this winter after the 1st couple snows.

The *only thing* that DWS are known for, and the 06 is no exception, they do flatspot when sitting over night in the cold. It disappears within a 1/2 mile. Due to their softish silicone compound they use. But you will feel the vibration until they do become round again.

--kC
Yep, have them on Wifey's Lexus SC430 which gets garaged for the winter. Gotta pump them babies up for 40psi when I park it for the season to minimize it. If I was a better hubby I'd put her car up on jackstands

Our Infiniti will need new tires next year, and guess what I'll be putting on it? Yup. Conti's. (Bridgestone Touranza's now, and I would rate them as "Do not buy").

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is online now   Reply With Quote