Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-18-2015, 11:59 AM   #1
forzasteve

Drives: Love any sports cars
Zero Current Drain Installation for Forza Exhaust Controller

I have received questions and comments about the Zero Current Drain Installation for the Forza Exhaust Controller. A Zero Current Drain installation is easy to do and we provide full instructions on how to do it. I have put together this Q&A that I hope clears this up. Note: These Q&As apply to both the Dual Mode and the 3-Way Forza Controllers.

Q. Where does the Forza Controller get its power from?
A. The Forza Exhaust Controllers require power to operate. In order to get this power, we recommend that a fuse tap (included with the controller) be installed in a location on a fuse block. (See image of yellow fuse tap below.) On the Camaro, the nearest fuse block is located in the vehicle luggage compartment. (See image of fuse block below)

Q. Why does the Forza Controller have current drain when the ignition switch is turned off?
A. The fuse locations at the rear fuse block on the Camaro are continuously hot. That is, they do not switch off with the ignition switch. Any device connected to the rear fuse block may draw continuous power which may result in a small current drain.

Q. What is the current drain associated with the Forza Controller?
A. If the Forza Controller is left in the normal mode (vehicle controls bypass valves) the current drain is about 50mA. This current is used to provide power to the controller’s RF receiver. If the controller is left in the valve closed position (button C or D), the current drain is higher as power is being fed to the vehicle solenoid valve. (See photo of Forza remote fob below)

Q. What is the implication of this current drain?
A. If left in the normal mode, the 50mA of current drain is very low and adds to the current drain that the vehicle already pulls for things like the security system. This additional drain could result in pulling down the battery to a low enough level as to make the car difficult to start. This will take about 3 months for a fully charged battery in good condition. If the controller is left in the “closed” position, there will be additional drain and this will result in a more rapid degradation of battery capacity … probably on the order of 4 to 6 weeks. This current drain is of no consequence if the vehicle is started on a regular basis so the battery can be recharged during normal operation.

Q. If I were to leave the car unattended for an extended period of time, how do I stop the current drain?
A. The Forza Controllers have a master power switch located on the module. The recommended installation location is in the luggage compartment in a spot where you can access the module after opening the luggage compartment lid. Turning off the controller will stop the current drain. (See photo of controller module below with red push button On/Off switch)

Q. Is it possible to install the Forza Controller in a manner that it will not have a current drain when the ignition switch is turned off?
A. Yes. By tapping into a location that will provide power that is switched to the ignition, will eliminate the current drain when the ignition switch is turned off.

Q. Where can I tap into power that is switched to the ignition?
A. We recommend tapping into a fuse location under the instrument panel. You would then route a wire from under the instrument panel to the luggage compartment to provide power to the Forza Controller. We provide full instructions on doing this with our controller installation instructions document. (See fuse block diagram below)

Q. Can’t I just splice into a wire in the luggage compartment to get power that is switched to the ignition?
A. Yes, this is possible. You can splice into a wire at the rear fuse block which is switched to the ignition and use this connection to provide power to the Forza Controller. There are some vehicle accessory manufacturers that use this method of getting power.

We do not recommend nor provide instructions for this. The reason is that we adhere to the principal that the Forza Controller is a true “plug-and-play” installation. Cutting, splicing or soldering of wires is not “plug-and-play”. With the Forza Controllers, no wiring modifications are required on the car. No wiring modifications on the controller module. No wire splicing or soldering. This makes the installation 100% reversible, does not compromise the vehicle wiring, will not jeopardize any vehicle warranty and does not require any special tools or skills on the part of the installer. If the installer has the confidence and knowledge on how to splice into wires, then he or she can easily do this, but as stated, we do not recommend nor provide instructions.

Q. Why didn’t you make the instrument panel fuse block the default for the controller installation?
A. For the novice installer, it is far easier to install the included fuse tap in the rear fuse block. Although installation of the fuse tap in the instrument fuse block is the same, there is an increased complexity in routing a wire from the instrument panel fuse block into the rear luggage compartment. This task is easy enough for someone with some experience routing wires, but for the novice, it might be daunting. We call attention to the small current drain and provide a master On/Off switch to mitigate the low current drain. If the installer has the confidence in routing a wire from the instrument panel to the rear, we encourage this type of installation and provide instruction on doing this.

I welcome any comments or questions on this. Hope this helps answer any questions.

Best regards,

Steve
Attached Images

forzasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:16 AM   #2
forzasteve

One note about current drain ...

Any electronic device that you install and draw power from the fuse block in the rear of the car will draw continuous power. For example, the Forza Controller draws power here because that is where the Exhaust Flapper fuse is located. The Mild 2 Wild controller will also be continuously drawing current.

Because of the potential for current drain, the Forza unit has two alternatives to prevent battery drain ...

1. The Forza Controller has a master power switch. You install the controller in a location in the luggage compartment so it is easily accessed. When you intend to leave the car for an extended time without starting, merely raise the rear lid and turn off the controller.

2. Full instruction on tapping power from a different location (e.g., the fuse block under the instrument panel) is included. Using one of the fuse locations here will then provide power that is switched to the ignition switch. So when you turn the car off, power is cut off to the exhaust controller which will prevent battery drain.

The first item is note worthy as the Forza Controller is the only one with a master power switch to prevent current drain.

Steve

Last edited by forzasteve; 11-05-2015 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:15 AM   #3
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
I have one and love the three way switch!!!!! Now I can drive to work in the morning without waking my neighbors or scaring the kids....LOL And the remote works much better than the response I had from the mild to wild, ( I had to buy two of them as the first shorted out after a year). I always leave it on closed over night maybe I should not but hey its not really a big drain anyway and my car is driven all the time. Thanks for making this product!!!! It gives us a equal to what the next gen. has for control of its exhaust.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:44 PM   #4
Boother

Drives: 14 ZL1
With the 0 drain install, does the box remain in the same mode it was in when the car was shut off or does it revert to normal mode when restarted?
Boother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:51 PM   #5
forzasteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boother View Post
With the 0 drain install, does the box remain in the same mode it was in when the car was shut off or does it revert to normal mode when restarted?
The Forza controller is unique as it can be configured to use the remote fob or a manual switch.

The controller needs power to activate / deactivate the relay on the internal circuit board. If power is lost, the relays will revert to their default state, which resets the controller to the NORMAL mode.

If the controller is using the remote fob vs. using a manual switch, then when power is restored, it will be looking for a signal from the remote. Until it receives the signal, it will remain in the default state. You have to press the button on the remote to send the signal to open the vales.

If you elect to use a manual switch instead of the remote, when power is lost to the controller the relays will still revert to their default state ... but since the manual switch is a mechanical device, once power is again available, the controller will resume whatever mode the switch is in.

Best regards,

Steve

Last edited by forzasteve; 09-24-2017 at 01:20 AM.