Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 02-06-2019, 10:53 AM   #15
DasBaldDog

Drives: 2017 Focus RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWilsonSr View Post
thanks for the responses

It would indeed be my daily driver, however my daily drives consist of store runs no more than 7 miles up the street *sometimes*, but mostly a couple mile drives to the nearest grocery store. On average I would say I drive maybe 5000-6000 miles a year, if I were just driving a single car (I have a '16 Suburban as well). I don't do much of any highway driving or anything like that since I work from home.

And yea, I definitely need to drive it. Unfortunately unless I find someone nearby with 1 who will let me take a quick spin in it in exchange for a spin in mine, the closest one is a couple hours away. The one I *was* trying to work on got sold before I got a deposit in, and that one was a much closer 35 miles away :|

Short drives of only 7 miles.... a thought to be mindful off.... this bastard holds ALOT of oil and it takes some good drives (atleast in GA) to get all the oil up to temp and to burn off the condensation moisture in the system.

It's also VERY thirsty when not at temperature.

Just some thoughts.

I'd tell you if you find yourself in Atlanta, hit me up.
DasBaldDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:11 PM   #16
bayarea408

Drives: T
I say look for a 5th Gen ZL1, that would be my move. If you arent a track oriented person the Z28 is more a novelty. A zl1 will be more comfortable and comes with great equipment, boost, magnetic ride, and all the key features a 5th would have, but wit a more different look.
bayarea408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:11 PM   #17
HoodCheck

Drives: 2018 ZLE (M6/hyper blue)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBaldDog View Post
Short drives of only 7 miles.... a thought to be mindful off.... this bastard holds ALOT of oil and it takes some good drives (atleast in GA) to get all the oil up to temp and to burn off the condensation moisture in the system.

It's also VERY thirsty when not at temperature.

Just some thoughts.

I'd tell you if you find yourself in Atlanta, hit me up.
Thanks for the offer (and info)!
HoodCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:02 PM   #18
carparts

Drives: 2014 Z28 Black 2010 WF1 Stohr
When you drive one, you will buy one ! Everyone telling you not to, doesn't own one and most likely has never driven one. There is nothing to compare it too. My commute is 4 miles in my truck. My Z28 always gets up to temp as its so much fun to drive its 10 miles each way because i cant go straight home !!
carparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:52 PM   #19
MrRaZ28
@MrRaZ28

Drives: 2014 Z28 #80
Hands down it's the best car I've ever driven, and I've driven a lot. I track and daily mine. Just got back from a 1200 mile round trip last Friday, and averaged almost 24mpg in tour mode on the 400 miles of flat land, with overall 22.7 after getting back into the city.

Some of the bare bones parts of the car can easily be replaced. I swapped out the factory crap radio and put in a touchscreen nav with back up camera because an extra 2-3 pounds isn't enough to worry about not having to look down at my phone, and being able to see behind me because BIG HIPS. The seats are fantastic, the brakes are beyond excellent, the sound.. the road feel.... I have never felt unsafe in it, even when it was pouring torrential rain here.

Ultimately, it's your choice, but to give you an idea I drove 220 miles to go pick it up after buying it sight unseen, not having even sat in it. Finalized everything on a Wednesday, picked it up Saturday and I have absolutely 0... ZERO... regrets.
MrRaZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:48 PM   #20
_Chigga

Drives: 2015 Z/28, #225 Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy2tehBone View Post
Hands down it's the best car I've ever driven, and I've driven a lot. I track and daily mine. Just got back from a 1200 mile round trip last Friday, and averaged almost 24mpg in tour mode on the 400 miles of flat land, with overall 22.7 after getting back into the city.

Some of the bare bones parts of the car can easily be replaced. I swapped out the factory crap radio and put in a touchscreen nav with back up camera because an extra 2-3 pounds isn't enough to worry about not having to look down at my phone, and being able to see behind me because BIG HIPS. The seats are fantastic, the brakes are beyond excellent, the sound.. the road feel.... I have never felt unsafe in it, even when it was pouring torrential rain here.

Ultimately, it's your choice, but to give you an idea I drove 220 miles to go pick it up after buying it sight unseen, not having even sat in it. Finalized everything on a Wednesday, picked it up Saturday and I have absolutely 0... ZERO... regrets.
Sorry to get off topic but does Tour/Sport/Sport+ actually effect fuel MPG?
_Chigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:28 PM   #21
MrRaZ28
@MrRaZ28

Absolutely it does! I was getting 18.5 mpg on the way out to Van horn in sport. Accidentally hit the tour button without realizing it, and suddenly I was getting 22-24. Went from getting maybe 300ish on the hwy to almost 400 miles. I was shocked... been driving this damn thing for almost 1.5 years now and just found this out lol.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:39 PM   #22
_Chigga

Drives: 2015 Z/28, #225 Red
Quote:
Absolutely it does! I was getting 18.5 mpg on the way out to Van horn in sport. Accidentally hit the tour button without realizing it, and suddenly I was getting 22-24. Went from getting maybe 300ish on the hwy to almost 400 miles. I was shocked... been driving this damn thing for almost 1.5 years now and just found this out lol.
Woah, I learned something new today!
_Chigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:13 AM   #23
MX621

Drives: 2014 z28
The driving modes only affect traction control and stability control, not engine ecu programming. So I’m a little confused how it would effect fuel Consumption on the highway. I’ll have to conduct a test myself.
MX621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:14 AM   #24
MrRaZ28
@MrRaZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX621 View Post
The driving modes only affect traction control and stability control, not engine ecu programming. So I’m a little confused how it would effect fuel Consumption on the highway. I’ll have to conduct a test myself.
That's what I thought as well, but 4-6 mpg gain on flat surface with no wind (past the normal northern wind going through Sweetwater.. I was traveling East to West and vice versa) is hard to argue with. I literally changed nothing other than that by accident.. I was going 1 over the speed limit on cruise control the entire way as I wanted to maximize MPG.

Also, I was getting around 9-11 average when I used to drive it in PTM 5 all the time. This was just commuting back and forth, no joy riding. I keep my stuff to the track.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:16 AM   #25
MrRaZ28
@MrRaZ28

ANYWAY... thread derailment over.

OP, worth the travel time to go test drive one. Trust me.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:35 PM   #26
HoodCheck

Drives: 2018 ZLE (M6/hyper blue)
Quote:
ANYWAY... thread derailment over.

OP, worth the travel time to go test drive one. Trust me.

Thanks man! I'm actually half thinking of buying one sight unseen and just having it shipped here, then selling my 16 SS. I have a Suburban to pick up slack if for some reason I didn't like it. But I'll be honest, I've had an 81, 83, 88, 90, 94, 99, 2012, and 2016, and I'm missing a couple others here too that I've had, and have never had one I didn't like the ride in (well, the 83 was slow as shit and had a vacuum leak I never did manage to find that stalled it at stops lol).
Tbh, I like the idea of dumbing down the tech in the car. My biggest concern in my 16 actually is the tech in it. I'm cool with going barebones; I'll miss homelink, but I can just put the clicker on the visor lol. I also like the idea of feeling my drive more; hell I even prefer driving with no radio to listen to my engine. Only reason I usually have the stereo on is to answer calls.
I could also use the extra inch or 2 in the back seats for my littlest guys (5 and 6).

On one hand its going a tad backwards, on the other hand, I feel like the Z/28 is one of the few cars on the planet I'd hold on to, and I'm the type of person that does a different car per year, or less...
HoodCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:18 AM   #27
j o n

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #0058
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWilsonSr View Post
I feel like the Z/28 is one of the few cars on the planet I'd hold on to, and I'm the type of person that does a different car per year, or less...
Even if you do get rid of it in a year, it will have depreciated less than your '16 would have in the same time span
- '15 Z/28 #0058 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
- '22 Ridgeline RTL | White | Ebony, '22 CR-V EX-L Hybrid | White | Ebony
Sold:
- '15 Z/28 #0048 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
https://www.instagram.com/__jon__athan__/
j o n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:50 AM   #28
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
We have lots of camaro's and to date IMO the Z/28 is as good as any of them, we have the same 16 2ss as you have, down to the same color in side and out, to me that's the worst of the lot, the 2.0T is a better car, the only thing that better then the or 2014 is the ZL1 1LE in power, IMO grab a deal and get the Z/28.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote