Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-23-2017, 12:53 PM   #1
SS_CTS-V

Drives: 2015 SS, 2006 CTS-V (wrecked...)
Well.... my Camaro let me down today

So six weeks into ownership my 2015 SS broke down on the way to work in traffic today and left me stranded on the side of the interstate. OnStar was great, but the tow truck took 2.5 hours to show up. Not cool.

I bought the car certifide pre-owned from a big Chevy dealer here in Tampa with about 25k miles on July 3rd to replace a 2011 BMW M3 that I had owned for 5 weeks when it spontaneously combusted one day on the way home from work. BMW's official answer after their own investigation was the aftermarket intake I installed caused an overly rich fuel condition which overheated the exhaust and ignited the car.... Now here I am with a broken Camaro.

Here's what happened. About 25 minutes into my commute, Cruising along in morning traffic at about 55 mph, I lost significant power but the car was still running. The motor was sputtering like I had lost 3-4 cylinders, about 15 seconds later the motor started to clatter a little, but quickly elevated to a loud clatter/banging before I could get off the road. There were no warning lights, no check engine, nothing. The car had just been dealer serviced last week. I checked the oil pressure and temp about 10 minutes before this all happened and that gauges read normal.

The first dealer said it would be 4 weeks before they could even look at it.... fortunately because I still have the factory warranty GM covered the tow to the dealer I purchased from, who said they would look at it today/tomorrow and get the process started.

So, in all I'm safe, this car didn't shoot flames 6 feet out of the hood (like the M3) but I'm still without a car for however long it takes GM to sort this out. AND the dealer won't give me a loaner until they inspect the car and determine if this will be covered under warranty.... that's some serious BS right there.

Pic of former BMW in flames for attention:
Attached Images

SS_CTS-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:01 PM   #2
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Sorry to hear at first I thought your Camaro burnt up when I saw the attached pic good grief!
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:11 PM   #3
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Geez - sounds like you lost a motor. That's crazy. Very weird.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:57 PM   #4
Gordo-D

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
Time to find out how good the GM warranty is.

I had to replace all the lifters at 11k [noisy AFM lifters] no chance of any GM help over here in the UK, at least the dealer I got the car from paid for all the genuine GM parts.
There was a tiny bit left towards labour but I wound up doing it myself.

It seems you have been pretty unlucky though. :(
Gordo-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:31 PM   #5
SS_CTS-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo-D View Post
Time to find out how good the GM warranty is.

I had to replace all the lifters at 11k [noisy AFM lifters] no chance of any GM help over here in the UK, at least the dealer I got the car from paid for all the genuine GM parts.
There was a tiny bit left towards labour but I wound up doing it myself.

It seems you have been pretty unlucky though. :(
Ouch that's a bummer! I've been unlucky recently but over the years I've had a lot of cars that were trouble free. So maybe it's all just catching up with me.

Last edited by SS_CTS-V; 08-23-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:43 PM   #6
lafountain

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS
Wow, that really sucks to hear. Just showing more reasons why used cars are a risk, you never know what the previous owner(s) did. (Note: I have never owned a new car for me, my wife has had new cars, but not me and I am not against buying used)

I hope it works out for you and they cover it under warranty as they should.

I bought a car, turned out to be an alien robot. Who knew?
lafountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:58 PM   #7
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
damn dude i'm sorry to hear about the M3 and your current engine issues... sounds like your engine might be beyond repair. At least you've got the warranty!

Good luck with the dealer, hopefully they don't give you any sort of run around. Update this when you get your diagnosis. Interested to hear the outcome
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:01 PM   #8
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Keep us updated. I am curious to know what was the cause of your misfortune. Good luck.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:11 PM   #9
DvKillar

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS
your dealer should get you a loaner from lot or a rental while under investigation. similar thing in my Ex's Impala, dealer got her in a loaner instantly while she wanted to hear back from them if it was covered.
DvKillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:17 PM   #10
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
Sorry to hear about your problem with the car. All cars are a risk and dealer certified pre-owned are just as risky, at least you have a warranty. Be firm and make them fix it, it's too soon for you to have to absorb any repairs or costs on your own.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:18 PM   #11
SS_CTS-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvKillar View Post
your dealer should get you a loaner from lot or a rental while under investigation. similar thing in my Ex's Impala, dealer got her in a loaner instantly while she wanted to hear back from them if it was covered.
I'm sure I could have pushed the issue, but honestly I don't need the loaner. We have a spare vehicle to drive in the mean time. I just thought it was crappy how the service dept said I could not get one until they evaluated the situation.

Thank you everyone else for the positive words. I'll keep the thread updated as I get news from the dealer.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:21 PM   #12
c0r3yr0s3

Drives: 2012 camaro 2ss
2.5 hours on the side of an interstate in tampa! I'm surprised you didn't burst into flames... definitely sorry to hear about your misfortunes, both of them, but at least you're ok

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk
c0r3yr0s3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:28 PM   #13
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0r3yr0s3 View Post
2.5 hours on the side of an interstate in tampa! I'm surprised you didn't burst into flames... definitely sorry to hear about your misfortunes, both of them, but at least you're ok

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk
Definitely not where I would want to be stuck.

I was making my daily drive the other day across the Howard Frankland Bridge (I-275 South) and saw a car that had broken down the night before.

Someone had apparently thrown something at one of the windows while driving by. The side window was completely blown out. Wasn't like that the night before. Or it simply could have been broken into.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:30 PM   #14
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Your experience sounds similar to what I experienced at 83k miles on my '10. I busted a rocker and spring on Cylinder 3. Sounded similar to your issue... except all the dash lights did light up and I did get the code P0300 Misfire Cylinder 3.

I'm very surprised that you did not receive a check engine light.

This happened on 12/23 about 2yrs ago. Car has been top notch since. Took it to Allen Cadillac in Laguna Niguel CA, and it was returned to my on 12/24 right before Christmas after just under 600 in cost.

Hope your repairs don't take too long.
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote