Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-30-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
Gavros 4 Life

Drives: 2SS/RS Summit White Black Stripes
garage door opener

I have a 2010 camaro and have had this issue for three years now...the garage door opener built into the car fails like 70% of the time for my garage and I need to either move my car back and forth until it opens or if its taking way to long need to get out open the other garage then open the garage for my car. Anyone else have/had this issue before? :node:

Its like I need to be really close to the garage to have a chance for it to even work one time i didn't even realize but my bumper was actually against the garage when it finally opened and had to get it repainted.
Gavros 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
bradshaw

Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS M6
Sounds like the receiver on the garage door opener is at fault, should have more range, at least 50 , even 100 feet, may need to add an antenna to your receiver.
bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #3
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
Funny... I never DID get mine to work... messed around on a ladder hitting reset buttons on the garage door motor, holding buttons in, resetting this and retrying that... ended up clipping my Crafstman garage door opener to my sunvisor and calling it a day. Been that way for 2 years now.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:30 AM   #4
bradshaw

Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS M6
Very easy to set up, you don`t have to mess with anything on the motor, everything is done inside the vehicle, you just hold the button on the transmitter and push a button in the car at the same time until you get a flashing red light, then thats it!
bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #5
DJ_BigC
Rockin' Steady

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
97% of the time when I see this problem at work, it's all related to the garage door opener receiver.... not saying that your car doesn't have a problem but I would start with the garage door first.

Easiest way to diagnose that it set up your car with another garage door, a friend or family garage, and try it out, if it's still not working, I would lean towards the car, if it works fine then it's either your garage door, or you might have a lot of interference from power lines etc... around your house/garage that are causing a bad signal to be generated to open the door.

edit: make sure your correctly setting it up too!

2010 Camaro 2SS Black, L99, SLP headers, GMPP axle back, complete JRE tune, 22" Boss 337's, Nitto Invos 5% tint, Eforce Supercharger w. 3" pulley, ADM FPCM, ID850's, JRE fuel rail mod, Eforce CAI, Moroso catch can, spark plug insulators.
DJ_BigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #6
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
I've been using mine for a few months now and it works well. The range isn't super long, but it will activate from the street at the end of the driveway. I have learned that you can't just tap the buttons like on the remote that came with the door, you have to hold down the button for a good second or two.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #7
dixonk

Drives: 2011 Audi Q7
Send a message via Skype™ to dixonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradshaw View Post
Very easy to set up, you don`t have to mess with anything on the motor, everything is done inside the vehicle, you just hold the button on the transmitter and push a button in the car at the same time until you get a flashing red light, then thats it!
Unless you have a rolling code. If you have a rolling code opener you will need to press the LEARN button on the motor and then go into the car and hold down the button. I'm wondering if OP is missing that step.
dixonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #8
rydahog

Drives: camaro ss
i have found out that many people do not re-set the buttons in the car, you may have 2 or 3 buttons for each garage door, whatever one your using you need to first, push the button your using in and hold it, it will flash slowly at first, (many overlook this step) keep holding it until it starts to flash faster...release and then go to garage door opener it self,,,push i the LEARN BUTTON on back of garage door open, come off ladder within 30 seconds. (its really a lot of time) then go into car, push the newly re-set button and hold until the garage door opener lite flashes...BOOM done! good luck...
rydahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #9
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Rolling code openers have a pairing button on them. Get a ladder and push that button. You then have a short amount of time to push the desired button in the car. Remember that if you have another car with an opener, you have to use a different button in the car. In other words, if you used the left button before, then choose the middle or right button in the car you want to program. Mine connected the first time I tried pairing it. There are also instructions in your owner manual, both for the door and the car. Hope this helps.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #10
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
... haha... see what I mean? it's a PITA. I'll just keep the original remote clipped to the visor. I tried all that hokey pokey a dozen times and never could get it to pair with my car.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #11
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by patternpilot View Post
Rolling code openers have a pairing button on them. Get a ladder and push that button. You then have a short amount of time to push the desired button in the car. Remember that if you have another car with an opener, you have to use a different button in the car. In other words, if you used the left button before, then choose the middle or right button in the car you want to program. Mine connected the first time I tried pairing it. There are also instructions in your owner manual, both for the door and the car. Hope this helps.
Not quite sure I understand what you're talking about. I have an Avalanche and the Camaro. On both I use the left buttons for the left door and the right buttons with the right door. They both pair up fine and both work.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #12
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by patternpilot View Post
Not quite sure I understand what you're talking about. I have an Avalanche and the Camaro. On both I use the left buttons for the left door and the right buttons with the right door. They both pair up fine and both work. Each opener establishes the rolling code relationship with the door opener. Essentially they are learning the pattern of codes.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #13
2011ss/rs

Drives: 11 ss/rs RJT w/Black Cherry stripes
Send a message via AIM to 2011ss/rs
No problems here I open two different garage doors with the factory remote.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:26 AM   #14
jrpimp00

Drives: '10 Black/IOM Camaro SS/RS
Op I have had the same problem for 3 years as well. I ended up putting my other remote on my visor and it can open the door from down the street. The built in one, when it works, only does it from about 5 feet away from the door if Im backed up to it. Worthless.

I have a garage door opener that I put on my bike and it even opens from down the street, so I know its not my reciever