Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-06-2020, 03:43 PM   #1
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Class Action Lawsuit Filed Over 2010-Present Chevrolet Camaro Starter

I haven't had any starter issues of my own and that is with long tube headers on both the L99 and LS3. But I know some here have discussed the slow start/heat soak issue. Still, I am surprised to see this go class action as I didn't think it was that large of an issue. Apparently I was wrong.

Still nothing about the damned blend door issue that likely affects/will affect many more cars though, IMO.

Who here has had the starter heat soak issue?
---------------------------------------------------------

Class Action Lawsuit Filed Over 2010-Present Chevrolet Camaro Starter

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/09...amaro-starter/

A new class-action lawsuit has been filed over alleged recurring problems with the starter motor in the 2010-present Chevrolet Camaro.

The suit, which was filed in U.S. District Court in the state of Delaware, alleges General Motors “knowingly sold Chevy Camaro models without disclosing that the vehicles are plagued by a starter and/or heat shield defect.”

The suit claims the 2010-present Chevrolet Camaro has inadequate heat shields that fail to protect the starter motor from engine bay heat. The additional heat allegedly puts resistance on the electrical conductors inside the motor, which forces it to use more power than usual to start the engine. This, in turn, can allegedly wear out the motor prematurely. It also says the starter motor issues will typically manifest in hot weather or directly after being driven and that the heating issues can damage the vehicle’s wiring and battery as well.

The 40-page suit also says GM has consistently refused to fix the starter motors under warranty, instead forcing customers to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars out-of-pocket for the repairs.

“GM’s failure to disclose the starter defect at the time of purchase is material because no reasonable consumer expects to spend hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars to repair or replace damaged vehicle components that the manufacturer knows will fail well before the expected useful life of the component and damage other components of the vehicle as well,” the 40-page complaint reads. “Had GM disclosed the starter defect, the plaintiff and class members would not have purchased the class vehicles or would have paid less for them.”

A number of similar owner complaints can be easily located on Chevrolet Camaro enthusiast forums around the web. One Camaro6.com forum user, JReagle56, previously authored a post describing their experiences with their personal Camaro’s starter.

“Had the issue pop up 3 times so far since brand new,” the post reads. “Once right after I got the car. It was a hot August day driving around breaking in the engine, tranny, rear axle and brakes. Returned home and parked the car in garage; had to go right back out a few minutes later; slow turnover, pause and it started. Then again this year. A 2 hr drive to the beach, really hot day, waiting in line to park, stalled car, restart and the starter just barely turned over, started on the 2nd rotation, if a 3rd was needed I don’t think it would have done it. Seems like when the starter is heat soaked something goes wrong.”

This class action is open to any 2010-present Chevrolet Camaro owners or lessees who have experienced these same issues with the vehicle’s starter motor and battery.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI

Last edited by InFiD3ViL; 09-06-2020 at 03:57 PM.
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 04:08 PM   #2
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Huh.
You'd think the blend door would make the big time before any starter issues.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 04:16 PM   #3
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
I've owned my 2013 SS for about a year now. It has always turned over slow before firing. At first I was concerned about it but after watching several vids where it seemed to happen to all the cars, I just kind of stopped thinking about it. It hasn't changed in a year - still does the ol' "rrrr rrrr rrrr VROOM!" before starting every time.
Danial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 05:50 PM   #4
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
And now the thread has been moved, confirming its death. I guess it's time to move on and just stop posting.

The level of micromanagement of the main General Camaro discussion forum is getting ridiculous. This is how a forum gets killed as nobody visits these sub forums. An argument could be made that every single thread in the General Forums could qualify to be moved to their own sub forum, but then what? It just sucks because that is the one very active forum that we still have.

Not trying to start trouble here, but it's just getting very frustrating.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 06:07 PM   #5
Silver14

Drives: 2014 SIM 2SS
It will be interesting to see if anything comes of the lawsuit.

I just click "New Posts" and open the topics that look interesting to me. You go to each section/subforum to look for content?
Silver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:03 PM   #6
SS Blinder

Drives: 2011 SS (Sparrow Spearer???)
The moving of the thread is actually beneficial to it. If you think about it, most stuff in the general are moved faster down the section, that it gets buried faster. At least it is in the appropriate section and therefore more likely to stay on the first page of this section

PS- I have not experienced this starter issue
Old 09-06-2020, 10:13 PM   #7
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
There is a starter issue?
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:07 PM   #8
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
No issue here

My 2012 has not had any issue with the starter and it gets hot here. We've had 106 deg. day's and the starter just keeps working. It was 98 today.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:39 PM   #9
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
I kinda notice my starter is a little slower when everything is up to temp for awhile. But never as bad like described in the suit. Like mentioned, how about that blend door???
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:35 AM   #10
fhrex

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
No issues here.
Old 09-07-2020, 12:41 PM   #11
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i worry more about the blend door,its tougher to replace than a starter.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 12:57 PM   #12
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
And now the thread has been moved, confirming its death. I guess it's time to move on and just stop posting.

The level of micromanagement of the main General Camaro discussion forum is getting ridiculous. This is how a forum gets killed as nobody visits these sub forums. An argument could be made that every single thread in the General Forums could qualify to be moved to their own sub forum, but then what? It just sucks because that is the one very active forum that we still have.

Not trying to start trouble here, but it's just getting very frustrating.
Agreed. I've always likened forums to a big, friendly party in a big house. The fewer the rooms people have to hang out in, the more lively the party stays but if you separate all those people into different rooms, say three or four there, 2 here, etc etc, the party dies.

I knew this thread existed but only found it after someone reposted the link in the main area. I would not have gone looking for it otherwise.
Danial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 01:23 PM   #13
camaro2lt-15

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT/RS SGM
I just traded my '15 2LT RRM 22,000 miles for '11 1LT/RS SGM 55,000 miles and I noticed when it starts it takes longer to start , my 2015 didn't do that. Should I be worried? I do have a 2 year drive train warranty 25,000 miles
camaro2lt-15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 03:30 PM   #14
Bartbart

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Ive gone through 2 starters, 1 alternator and 2 batteries .The issue is real. How can I sign up?

Last edited by Bartbart; 09-07-2020 at 04:14 PM.
Bartbart is offline   Reply With Quote