Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #99
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Sorry about your Camaro OP. :( I hope you did learn a lesson as you said, and will drive more intelligently in the future. Hope you get a new one soon & respect it's power. And everyone, ............a little respect for fbodfather please. If anyone knows what he is talking about on this site, it would be him!
Old 03-01-2012, 10:09 PM   #100
z28racer

Drives: 12 SIM 2SS/ RS Sinergy M6,GMC2500HD
Im sorry if your hurt. Like i said can you drive or cant you??? If you cant control your car without it systems on then you should get a different car! Period! you should know your car and your driving ability or you have no bussines to be on or roads with sutch a powerfull vehicle and Hunday skills . End of discussion!
Old 03-01-2012, 10:23 PM   #101
z28racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCC1464 View Post
this should be good
lol
Old 03-01-2012, 10:23 PM   #102
Fiveg56

Drives: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28racer View Post
Im sorry if your hurt. Like i said can you drive or cant you??? If you cant control your car without it systems on then you should get a different car! Period! you should know your car and your driving ability or you have no bussines to be on or roads with sutch a powerfull vehicle and Hunday skills . End of discussion!
Clueless
Old 03-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #103
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Man, that sucks! It happens. At least you're OK and you owned up to your mistake. Hope you can get a new ride!

Coincidentally, I was just thinking about posting a thread about having TC off (pressing button once) versus Comp. Mode (pressing twice fast). I don't see what the big deal is about turning it off. Yeah, turning everything off might be a bad idea, but still, what did we do in the "old days" before cars had all these nannies? This is a freaking muscle car for Pete's sake. At least we are able to turn off these features, unlike some brilliant ideas like AFM.

Isn't Stabiltrack supposed to keep the ass end from swinging out too far? This can be left on with TC off. From what I've read on here, the car runs the best times at the track with TC off. Now I know there is a diff. between the track and public roads, but some people prefer to have full control of their cars.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:29 PM   #104
z28racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
Man, that sucks! It happens. At least you're OK and you owned up to your mistake. Hope you can get a new ride!

Coincidentally, I was just thinking about posting a thread about having TC off (pressing button once) versus Comp. Mode (pressing twice fast). I don't see what the big deal is about turning it off. Yeah, turning everything off might be a bad idea, but still, what did we do in the "old days" before cars had all these nannies? This is a freaking muscle car for Pete's sake. At least we are able to turn off these features, unlike some brilliant ideas like AFM.

Isn't Stabiltrack supposed to keep the ass end from swinging out too far? This can be left on with TC off. From what I've read on here, the car runs the best times at the track with TC off. Now I know there is a diff. between the track and public roads, but some people prefer to have full control of their cars.
Finally someone with some sence. Thank You!
Old 03-01-2012, 10:40 PM   #105
Duallyvette

Drives: 2007 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post

And for the record: We do make it possible to shut the Traction control/Stability control off for a few reasons - one of which is for performance driving on the track -- as well as to assist when a car is stuck in sand/snow/ice.

It seems that I read an article about traction control in a new Corvette, when TC 1st came out many years ago.. They drove the car around in the snow for a while...then turned off the traction control, and couldn't get the car to move two feet. Same test in the sand. w/o TC turned on, the car buried itself.

As for z28racer and his highly developed skills...TC & ABS can make hundreds of adjustments in a fraction of a second. Many more than a human can make in an hour.

High performance tires don't usually do very well on cold or wet roads.

Don't all new cars have a "little black box" that records information about how the car was being driven just before an accident. i.e. speed, TC , etc. If someone is hurt in a accident, and you had turned off the TC....an accident involving premeditated reckless driving can cost you everything you have.

Sharpen those skills.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:40 PM   #106
RX SS RACERX

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS RJT
Sorry,don't have time to read all the posts. GLAD you are OK. Car is TOAST-they make them everyday. Insurance will go up and I imagine many of the posts are giving you sh!t for some poor judgement. Well guess what-WELCOME to human nature! You have a performance car and lost it. Learn from it and buy another one. As I said i can't read all the responses but 'lest thee judge' 'cast the first stone' blah-blah. Besides awsome looks a great % of us buy the Camaro for its speed. Sometimes it gets the better of us. Unfortunately your experience can be a teaching experience for the rest of us whether it be a Camaro/Mustang/Challenger/etc. Keep the faith and drive safe. YOU ARE HUMAN and have the chance to learn from a mistake. Been there and still probably haven't learned:/
Old 03-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #107
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Z28Racer -

Let's stop for a minute.

Let's think this thing thru.

The more Camaros wrecked, the more we sell, right? So perhaps I should just let people go on about turning their stabilitrak off - and while we're at it - go ahead and don't wear seat belts............fine - we'll simply sell more cars!............

......except that one who cares about others doesn't look at it that way.

- there's several reasons I'm getting on my soapbox about this. One of them is that i care about what happens to the people within this community.

For the record - I have been thru Bragg-Smith/Spring Mountain/Bondurant/Justin Bell schools many times. In fact, I've taken journalists to these schools. I put the original contracts together for our sponsorship of Bragg-Smith/Spring Mountain/Bondurant/Justin Bell. Further, I've been thru our Milford Proving Ground Schools many times in my 35 years with GM.

I think I know these cars pretty well. (...you may want to ask one or two people on this board to ensure that I do indeed know of what I speak...)

Again -- I don't want to belittle anyone - but I have watched people tell me how they 'have complete control of their car' -- only to watch them have an accident. I've gone to funerals of those who 'had complete control of their car.....'

I DO NOT WANT TO GO TO ANOTHER FUNERAL AND I DO NOT WANT TO READ ABOUT ANOTHER CAMARO ENTHUSIAST WHO HAS BEEN SEVERELY INJURED OR KILLED -- OR WHO HAS INJURED OR KILLED ANOTHER HUMAN BEING. If you don't like that - fine - but I ask you to please stop.

Do you suppose that most race car drivers are good drivers? Do you suppose that most of them have control of their cars?

Well - let's see -- how many have died because of 'accidents' --

so - I'm pleased that you're a good driver -- but if you think you're invincible, you are sadly mistaken.

You can turn your traction control off 'til the cows come home -- but I'm begging you to stop with your remarks because I don't want others to make the mistakes that all too many have already made.

I speak up because I care.......

Last edited by fbodfather; 03-01-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #108
BLU BY U
'69 Camaro's Rule

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Z28Racer -

Let's stop for a minute.

Let's think this thing thru.

The more Camaros wrecked, the more we sell, right? So perhaps I should just let people go on about turning their stabilitrak off - and while we're at it - go ahead and don't wear seat belts............fine - we'll simply sell more cars!............

......except that one who cares about others doesn't look at it that way.

- there's several reasons I'm getting on my soapbox about this. One of them is that i care about what happens to the people within this community.

For the record - I have been thru Bragg-Smith/Spring Mountain/Bondurant/Justin Bell schools many times. In fact, I've taken journalists to these schools. Further, I've been thru our Milford Proving Ground Schools many times in my 35 years with GM.

I think I know these cars pretty well. (...you may want to ask one or two people on this board to ensure that I do indeed know of what I speak...)

Again -- I don't want to belittle anyone - but I have watched people tell me how they 'have complete control of their car' -- only to watch them have an accident.

Do you suppose that most race car drivers are good drivers? Do you suppose that most of them have control of their cars?

Well - let's see -- how many have died because of 'accidents' --

so - I'm pleased that you're a good driver -- but if you think you're invincible, you are sadly mistaken.

You can turn your traction control off 'til the cows come home -- but I'm begging you to stop with your remarks because I don't want others to make the mistakes that all too many have already made.

I speak up because I care.......
Scott, you're probally fighting a loss cause with this one. He DOES not know who he is even talking to......But, I hope everybody else hear's you.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:01 PM   #109
Dragnya
FUJIMO

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS/RS Mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post

Yes I agree with this !!! This discussion is stupid, anybody here that has an iq above 100 knows that that curve he was on and wet roads TC wouldn't have done sh** , you could been in a 3rd gen 4 cyl Camaro and hit the wet !! Curve to fast and your gonna spin out period. Turn yours on in the rain and take a corner and hit the throttle and tell us all what happens. I already know it was one of the first things I did with my Camaro when I bought it , test it's limits and feel of what it can do and can't do, that's what I do In any car I build or buy hot rod or not. I personally think TC is ridicules ! I've been building and racing cars for 25 years and I've used my brain and two feet for traction and haven't had a problem yet. And that includes several cars running into the mid 8's in the 1/4, all sticks and some with multiple stages of n2o all manual control. Not trying to offend any of the longtime guys on here at all , but lest be honest these are muscle cars not cars for the mid life crisis guy that has never owned more than a Toyota Camary. If 430 hp is. Too much for you to not blow the tires off with out the help of TC then you should have never bought the car , that's the irresponsible thing. And I got 100--1 that says Al and Tony and those Gm big wigs when they drive there personal Camaros and Vetts they have TC off also . The memo about making people drive with the nannies on is just like every other thing in this country is getting too, Lawyers and liability ! Unless you have many many years driving high hp cars , and I mean high ! Not a civic type s or something then you have no business buying one of these cars! People like that are way more dangerous than turning TC !
Just my .02
Old 03-01-2012, 11:03 PM   #110
fbodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLU BY U View Post
Scott, you're probally fighting a loss cause with this one. He DOES not know who he is even talking to......But, I hope everybody else hear's you.
Blu - I appreciate your kind thoughts - and you may be right -- but as long as I'm able to sit up and take nourishment, I will not stop preaching about the use of seat belts and traction control and stabilitrak.... -- and perhaps I just may save a life or two..........and if that's the case, people can say anything they want about me.

I hope all is well with you and that you are STILL suffering from "Perma-Grin!"
Old 03-01-2012, 11:05 PM   #111
z28racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragnya View Post
Yes I agree with this !!! This discussion is stupid, anybody here that has an iq above 100 knows that that curve he was on and wet roads TC wouldn't have done sh** , you could been in a 3rd gen 4 cyl Camaro and hit the wet !! Curve to fast and your gonna spin out period. Turn yours on in the rain and take a corner and hit the throttle and tell us all what happens. I already know it was one of the first things I did with my Camaro when I bought it , test it's limits and feel of what it can do and can't do, that's what I do In any car I build or buy hot rod or not. I personally think TC is ridicules ! I've been building and racing cars for 25 years and I've used my brain and two feet for traction and haven't had a problem yet. And that includes several cars running into the mid 8's in the 1/4, all sticks and some with multiple stages of n2o all manual control. Not trying to offend any of the longtime guys on here at all , but lest be honest these are muscle cars not cars for the mid life crisis guy that has never owned more than a Toyota Camary. If 430 hp is. Too much for you to not blow the tires off with out the help of TC then you should have never bought the car , that's the irresponsible thing. And I got 100--1 that says Al and Tony and those Gm big wigs when they drive there personal Camaros and Vetts they have TC off also . The memo about making people drive with the nannies on is just like every other thing in this country is getting too, Lawyers and liability ! Unless you have many many years driving high hp cars , and I mean high ! Not a civic type s or something then you have no business buying one of these cars! People like that are way more dangerous than turning TC !
Just my .02
Thank you ! Great comment. Could have not said it better!!!!
Old 03-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #112
fbodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragnya View Post
Yes I agree with this !!! This discussion is stupid, anybody here that has an iq above 100 knows that that curve he was on and wet roads TC wouldn't have done sh** ,
You may be a great racer - but your statement is false.

Closed Thread

Tags
accident, crash, wreck