Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Members Classifieds - Parts for sale or wanted > Suspension / Chassis / Brakes

Old 09-19-2018, 10:38 PM   #1
Rico
Flying da helicopter

Drives: Black SS/RS
Angry WTB suspension parts

I just moved to Hawaii and realized they don't like modified cars. Apparently my car is too low (ridetech coilovers) and the only way to pass this stupid safety inspection is to change out my shocks/springs. Does anyone know a good setup that won't cost me an arm and a leg? I have a 2010 Camaro SS with FE4 rear lower control arms. Thanks in advance for any help.
Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:29 AM   #2
Tylerscully

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico View Post
I just moved to Hawaii and realized they don't like modified cars. Apparently my car is too low (ridetech coilovers) and the only way to pass this stupid safety inspection is to change out my shocks/springs. Does anyone know a good setup that won't cost me an arm and a leg? I have a 2010 Camaro SS with FE4 rear lower control arms. Thanks in advance for any help.
1le shocks and springs are probably ur best bet. I think there like 1k but you can prob find them for $600 on ebay or maybe on this forum

Or try to max out ur coilovers
Tylerscully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:46 AM   #3
BronxxBombers213

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
someone is selling some z/28 dssv shocks/springs on facebook marketplace

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3010...79849382&rt=11
Old 09-20-2018, 02:24 AM   #4
Rico
Flying da helicopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerscully View Post
1le shocks and springs are probably ur best bet. I think there like 1k but you can prob find them for $600 on ebay or maybe on this forum

Or try to max out ur coilovers
My coilovers are maxed out already. I appreciate the ideas. This will be a temporary fix for the car until I move back to Texas in a couple years. Every time you think you're finished spending money on your car, something like this comes knocking on your door.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:46 AM   #5
Rico
Flying da helicopter

If I'm not mistaken, these should work for me right? I already have upgraded sway bars/endlinks and FE4 lower control arms. I think this should be a simple swap and alignment.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=537512
Old 09-20-2018, 10:56 AM   #6
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Yes they will work but they will still lower the car about 3/4 to 1 inch if memory serves me correct and will ride very stiff.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:24 PM   #7
black6

Drives: black
Pardon my ignorance but why don’t you just keep your car plated where it was? Then you don’t have to adhere to Hawaii’s rules, cars are covered by the laws of the state they are plated in.

Inspection stuff etc should be waved because if military duty as well I would think. I know my jarhead friend had a lowered, tinted, no cat terminator in Cali and because it wasn’t plated in Cali the cops couldn’t do anything about it.
black6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:17 PM   #8
Rico
Flying da helicopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by black6 View Post
Pardon my ignorance but why don’t you just keep your car plated where it was? Then you don’t have to adhere to Hawaii’s rules, cars are covered by the laws of the state they are plated in.

Inspection stuff etc should be waved because if military duty as well I would think. I know my jarhead friend had a lowered, tinted, no cat terminator in Cali and because it wasn’t plated in Cali the cops couldn’t do anything about it.
You brought up a great point, but after reading the Hawaii laws I’m allowed to keep my vehicle registered in whatever state but still required to adhere to these rules. In most states window tint only has to have the passender/drivers windows to a certain percentage and the rest can be as dark as you want. That doesn’t apply here either. All windows for a passenger car have to be within the limits so now I have to take all my tint off just to redo them with “legal” tint. If I wasn’t going to be here for so long, I’d jut park my car and buy a small beater or something. Thankfully they don’t do smog tests, because I’d fail that like a mofo as well.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:56 PM   #9
derieu
Engineer

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
How many miles on the ridetech coils? I have 1LE shocks + BMR springs that i was going to trade for stock SS suspension + cash. Maybe I can throw in some cash and get your coils?
derieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:27 PM   #10
black6

Drives: black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico View Post
You brought up a great point, but after reading the Hawaii laws I’m allowed to keep my vehicle registered in whatever state but still required to adhere to these rules. In most states window tint only has to have the passender/drivers windows to a certain percentage and the rest can be as dark as you want. That doesn’t apply here either. All windows for a passenger car have to be within the limits so now I have to take all my tint off just to redo them with “legal” tint. If I wasn’t going to be here for so long, I’d jut park my car and buy a small beater or something. Thankfully they don’t do smog tests, because I’d fail that like a mofo as well.
You should talk to a real lawyer. Not jag who will tell you they can’t help you anyways. Pretty sure that sounds like BS. Being military gives you extra rights as well because of the temporary nature of living situations. 99% sure that they can’t make you adhere to their laws. And they couldn’t write you a Texas local citation for having tint not legal in Texas etc. but I’m not an expert. If I were you I’d check into it more though.
black6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:21 AM   #11
Rico
Flying da helicopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by derieu View Post
How many miles on the ridetech coils? I have 1LE shocks + BMR springs that i was going to trade for stock SS suspension + cash. Maybe I can throw in some cash and get your coils?
I have maybe 5 or 6k miles on them. I’ve only had them for about 4 years and half of that it was parked in a garage during deployments. I’ll let you know what I end up doing. Thanks
Old 09-21-2018, 06:08 AM   #12
Buschman

Drives: 2018 ZL1 2015 1SS 1LE
I have a set of shocks, struts and springs off a 2015 1LE with 14k miles on them sitting in my garage. Nothing wrong with them just changed out to Pedders coil overs. $300 plus the ride and their yours.

Buschman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 04:36 AM   #13
Rico
Flying da helicopter

I’ll let you know by next week. Thanks