Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #1

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Stabilitrak and Brake Lights....

....Thought I'd try asking this here....In regards to Stabilitrak, as I understand it, may apply the brakes on certain wheels should the "need" arise under certain conditions....

...Should this happen, do the brake lights come on? Even if you are not pressing the brake pedal yourself, will the brake lights come on should Stabilitrak apply the brakes?

Thanks, if anyone knows one way or the other....just curious...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
3rdgen3
10-bolt Destroyer

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - AGM, LS3/6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
....Thought I'd try asking this here....In regards to Stabilitrak, as I understand it, may apply the brakes on certain wheels should the "need" arise under certain conditions....

...Should this happen, do the brake lights come on? Even if you are not pressing the brake pedal yourself, will the brake lights come on should Stabilitrak apply the brakes?

Thanks, if anyone knows one way or the other....just curious...
In short, yes they do.

I was having some spirited back road fun recently and I only had the T/C off, left the Stabilitrak on and my buddy behind me told me that my brake lights kept flashing..but i never once remotely stepped on my brake pedal.

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: Cam, Headers, Exhaust, Intake, Gears, Twin Disk, Suspension, Tuned - 475rwhp, 443rwtq
3rdgen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdgen3 View Post
In short, yes they do.

I was having some spirited back road fun recently and I only had the T/C off, left the Stabilitrak on and my buddy behind me told me that my brake lights kept flashing..but i never once remotely stepped on my brake pedal.
Thanks...that's what I thought...had an instructor at a track telling me I was using my brakes in the turns...told him nope, positive I wasn't...had to be the Stabilitrak doing it...lol...
Old 07-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #4
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Thanks...that's what I thought...had an instructor at a track telling me I was using my brakes in the turns...told him nope, positive I wasn't...had to be the Stabilitrak doing it...lol...
I had the same exact thing happen to me. I had an instructor in the car with me and he knew I wasn't applying the brakes. The other instructors were positioned around the track to critique our driving. Two of them said I was braking in the middle of curves. My instructor and I looked at each other confused. Finally it dawned on me I left the nannies on.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
I had the same exact thing happen to me. I had an instructor in the car with me and he knew I wasn't applying the brakes. The other instructors were positioned around the track to critique our driving. Two of them said I was braking in the middle of curves. My instructor and I looked at each other confused. Finally it dawned on me I left the nannies on.
....lol...Yeah, I left mine on...didn't seem like I was being limited or governed or whatever by the stabilitrak....some auto-x turns I was fighting the steering wheel to turn harder with the nannies on...lol...but on this bigger, faster track I felt ok with them on, so never tried it with them off...
Old 07-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #6
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Depending on how hard you run, stabilitrack can over heat your brakes.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #7
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
this!!! i only use competitive mode with passengers on track. solo driving means all off.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
this!!! i only use competitive mode with passengers on track. solo driving means all off.
That was sort of my quandry...about stabilitrak....I guess I've run hard enough to have it come on, but never saw any dic message or anything on the hud to let me know it was "active" or whatever, sort of why I left it on...lol....I guess it does it's thing without you knowing it...

....Time to run without it!...lol...
Old 07-03-2013, 09:57 PM   #9
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
That was sort of my quandry...about stabilitrak....I guess I've run hard enough to have it come on, but never saw any dic message or anything on the hud to let me know it was "active" or whatever, sort of why I left it on...lol....I guess it does it's thing without you knowing it...

....Time to run without it!...lol...
mine flashes the little lights...dont know about your year tho
Old 07-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
mine flashes the little lights...dont know about your year tho
It's a '11...if it's just the little symbol on the dash, I probably just never noticed it...lol...Brakes held up good at Buttonwillow, just noticed a little different feel on the last session....
Old 07-03-2013, 10:12 PM   #11
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
um no I have never heard of the brake lights flashing with the stabilitrak being active.

the brake lights are connected to a switch in the brake pedal, not to the ABS controller that pumps the brakes for stabilitrak..

in addition when stabilitrak becomes active the computer also reduces engine torque to help regain control.

but no where in any system that I have ever worked on are the brake lights connected to the ABS controller.

your traction control and stabilitrak dash lights will flash, but the brake lights will not, if yours are it is because you are tapping the brake whether you realize it or not.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
um no I have never heard of the brake lights flashing with the stabilitrak being active.

the brake lights are connected to a switch in the brake pedal, not to the ABS controller that pumps the brakes for stabilitrak..

in addition when stabilitrak becomes active the computer also reduces engine torque to help regain control.

but no where in any system that I have ever worked on are the brake lights connected to the ABS controller.

your traction control and stabilitrak dash lights will flash, but the brake lights will not, if yours are it is because you are tapping the brake whether you realize it or not.
Thanks for the respones...I hear ya...I'm sure I was guilty of using the brakes in the turns during the first few sessions...but later on I made a conscious effort to not even cover the brake pedal with my foot during the turns...lol...Still, the instructor following me brought it to my attention...

...dunno about abs or cars, but I do know that some of the trucks I drove put on the brake lights when the trans retarder was active or the Jake-brake was on without touching the brake pedal...
Old 07-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130R View Post
A little OT, but I have the Stabilitrak light come on under hard braking when the ABS kicks in, even when I have Stabilitrak OFF.

What's up with that? Is 'Off' not really, 'Off'? Why does it come on at all under braking?
...lol...I wish I could find out for sure what the warning light, dic, hud sequence and all that does or doesn't do when stabilitrak does it's thing...
I know about the lights messages, etc. when you turn them off with the button...but if not turned off, not sure when they come on, if at all...

....only one I noticed was at the drags, went with t/c on, and it came up with a message on the hud that t/c was active or whatever...Road courses I only look at the hud, never seen a stabilitrak hud or dic message come on for that....
Old 07-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #14
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130R View Post
A little OT, but I have the Stabilitrak light come on under hard braking when the ABS kicks in, even when I have Stabilitrak OFF.

What's up with that? Is 'Off' not really, 'Off'? Why does it come on at all under braking?
This is an occasion where off doesn't really mean off. Off means about 90% off.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote