Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 07-31-2012, 03:48 PM   #141
Jim968

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikamaro View Post
Once these Grand-Am GS teams gets their hands on the 1LE package it's going to be a carnage on every track!
Actually there won't be much, if any change. The Grand-Am GS teams are required to replace the shocks on all cars with Koni or AST units. Spring rates, sway bars, camber plates, bushings, etc. are all free to be replaced with whatever aftermarket units the teams choose.

If there IS anything in the 1LE package that gives the Camaros an advantage its pretty certain that Grand Am will handicap the car in some other way to compensate.
Jim968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:22 PM   #142
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim968 View Post
Actually there won't be much, if any change. The Grand-Am GS teams are required to replace the shocks on all cars with Koni or AST units. Spring rates, sway bars, camber plates, bushings, etc. are all free to be replaced with whatever aftermarket units the teams choose.

If there IS anything in the 1LE package that gives the Camaros an advantage its pretty certain that Grand Am will handicap the car in some other way to compensate.
Well, The rules state that you can keep these mentionned OEM parts if you want, especially if they're better!
You are required: a Roll cage, security features, fuel cell and continental Tires and some restriction depending on the power to weight/ratio of the car.

What it will eventually do, is bring new teams using the Camaros and probably some existing teams will switch cars for the Camaro 1LE.

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.

Last edited by Mikamaro; 07-31-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:37 PM   #143
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
You must be talking to people who have very little interest in cars. You can NOT call yourself a car enthusiast, you definitely can't call yourself a Camaro enthusiast, if you don't know what a ZL1, COPO, Baldwin-Motion or Yenko Camaro is. Most people recognize Z/28, but that is only because Chevy slapped that name on so many cars that didn't truely represent what a Z/28 should have been.
I agree. But those are names. And that's what I"m talking about. COPO, YENKO, Baldwin-Motion....... names. Not numbers.

Side note. A Camaro enthusiast doesn't have to be an encyclopedia of all things Camaro. All I ever knew in high school with my Z28 was that we liked to race them against all comers. I have no doubt I saw a 1LE or two but I don't remember it because I forget numbers.

Now if they told me they had a sidewinder or G-Force or stinger or whatever..... (just making up names off the top of my head) then I'd remember them.

I do not remember the ZL1 but very vaguely and I do not remember the 1LE. But say what you want. I am a Camaro enthusiast and have been since I was 15. I took a hiatus during the 4th gen years because I thought they were ugly and I was in all family mode. It didn't fit my life or budget but I always missed my old Camaro and always felt a tingle when I saw one. When this 5th Gen came out I didn't want a car, didn't need a car, and certainly wasn't looking for a car. But I had to have it. Kids almost grown and could afford my toy.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:45 PM   #144
Jim968

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
Once these Grand-Am GS teams gets their hands on the 1LE package it's going to be a carnage on every track!
Quote:
Well, The rules state that you can keep these mentionned OEM parts if you want, especially if they're better!
You can't keep the shocks. See http://www.grand-am.com/Portals/0/Im...2GS&ST-GCR.pdf

Believe me they're replacing all of the other suspension bits as allowed by the rules. The 1LE is a streetable car that works well on the track, so compromises in setup have to be made. Camaros that are competitive in GS are not even close to streetable, and the only compromises that are made are to be in compliance with the rules.
Jim968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:48 PM   #145
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Side note. A Camaro enthusiast doesn't have to be an encyclopedia of all things Camaro.
...but it helps...

Easiest $100 I ever made was when a supposed "expert" in all things Camaro/Corvette argued that "Chevrolet NEVER factory-installed a 427 in a Camaro...they were ONLY done by Yenko/Motion/Nickey/Dana/Harrell. And I'll bet you a $100!!"

Oh, really?! This was back in the '80s...

Cha-CHING!
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:50 PM   #146
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim968 View Post
http://www.grand-am.com/Portals/0/Im...2GS&ST-GCR.pdf
Camaros that are competitive in GS are not even close to streetable, and the only compromises that are made are to be in compliance with the rules.
First off, you going againts the rule book!
-"This category is designed to encourage race competition of standard volume-produced cars and components, to demonstrate the quality and reliability of various makes and models, and to promote the performance of drivers, manufacturers and other participants."

Second, IF you change your shock setup you are required to use the Koni or AST...and off course every body does it with the SS shocks, I would too.
IF...I had an 1LE in Grand-am GS I would not replace the shocks. Have you look at the Video of the 1LE lapping Virginia, This thing is glued to the ground.

Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.

Last edited by Mikamaro; 07-31-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:50 PM   #147
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
...but it helps...

Easiest $100 I ever made was when a supposed "expert" in all things Camaro/Corvette argued that "Chevrolet NEVER factory-installed a 427 in a Camaro...they were ONLY done by Yenko/Motion/Nickey/Dana/Harrell. And I'll bet you a $100!!"

Oh, really?! This was back in the '80s...

Cha-CHING!
Fair enough.

I can't answer all that trivia. I just liked that car and what I could do with the car.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:21 PM   #148
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
There is only 1 reason the 1LE is not better known by the public. Air onditioning, or lack thereof. If 1le had been on dealers lots with air conditioning they would have sold more.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:23 PM   #149
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Well you actually make my point. I am, and always have been, a Camaro enthusiast. I had never heard of the 1LE tag til THIS car.

I've NEVER been a Mustang guy. I've heard of the Boss and all the rest.

My point is that the names bring attention and memory. The numbers don't.

Shelby, Cobra, Boss.

ZL1, 1LE, Z28.

Only the Z28 is common on the Camaro side.

Ask 100 random people what a Shelby, Cobra, or Boss is and I'll bet you get 85 people who know. Do the same with ZL1, 1LE and leave out the Z28 and I'll bet you MIGHT get 15 that know.

In fact, I've yet to talk to a non-Camaro person who had any recollection of EITHER ZL1 or 1LE. Not a single one. Heck, the ZL1 I had to reach for having ever heard of it.

That's really my only point. If the idea is to sell Camaros to Camaro enthusiasts then, hey, great. It might work. If the idea is to sell Camaros to Camaro enthusiasts AND non-enthusiasts then I think they will sell a few less cars. Give it an appropriate name and it would get more ambient attention from non-enthusiasts.

Topic for another thread though.

I concur. The average Joe has no clue what options or packages are available or even comes with it. I see tons of people on this very board who have no clue what does and does not come on the RS package. Countless times people have not even understood the difference between the white & red SS badges.

The 1LE package is not common knowledge.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:39 PM   #150
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

The 1LE package option was and still is for a niche market, road racing. No wonder why most people dont give a heck about it.
No one needs a track pack to go to work.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:12 PM   #151
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
The 1LE package option was and still is for a niche market, road racing. No wonder why most people dont give a heck about it.
It is like the Trans Am and Formula's WS6 package. Those who "cared" knew!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:14 PM   #152
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
I concur. The average Joe has no clue what options or packages are available or even comes with it. I see tons of people on this very board who have no clue what does and does not come on the RS package. Countless times people have not even understood the difference between the white & red SS badges.

The 1LE package is not common knowledge.
Quote:
True. But give it a catchy name and they can say they have a 'Stinger' or whatever. People like the parking lot chest pump stuff. After all, that's what 80% of people buy these cars for. How many on here have spent an extra 15k for performance add ons that they don't need. Hell I might be one of them. I do drive the hell out of my car. Break stuff all the time as a result. But I go to the track like once a year. I aim to go more but it never seems to happen.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:17 PM   #153
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I wonder when ford will ressurect the old MACH1 designation.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:49 PM   #154
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I wonder when ford will ressurect the old MACH1 designation.
Wasn't the Mach 1 more of a cosmetic package? I know the Boss was the track car.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote