Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-10-2018, 08:49 PM   #1
captaincog

Drives: 1971 350RS/SS 4sp
2013 1LS M6 missing bolts from engine to transmission - help

So several forum members here will likely remember when I was upset that the v6 engine in my 2013 blew up 114k and I ended up having the dealer replace the engine.

Rewind to last Friday when I was having a local garage do the brakes and rear struts. I had just taken it to the dealer the previous Friday for the 5k oil change as they insist and since I cannot afford to void the engine warranty they win. Anyways my local garage guys have me take a look when they find 3 large missing bolts from the flywheel housing to engine. 2 on the passenger side and 1 on the driver side. Oh, and the timing cover is leaking on an engine with 13k miles on it in 7 months.

The dealer tech called today stating the replacement engine has the wrong oil pan and they are trying to figure it out.

Anyone ever heard of this before? Could the correct replacement engine really have a different oil pan and still be a correct replacement engine?

I appreciate your input.
1971 RS/SS 350 4 speed Teal Green
captaincog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:00 PM   #2
captaincog

Here are some pictures:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
Old 12-11-2018, 07:49 AM   #3
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Guess it depends on how and what they replaced it with.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:52 AM   #4
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Typically in my experience the old oil pan is reused from the old engine. This may be different in your case but ever time I have bought a replacement engine it comes without the accessories. In LS style engines they typically come with the rear crank cover but not the front timing cover. Not sure how your V6 would come. It would be different depending on the source. Either way you really should be all over those guys that did the install. Also I'd read your warranty paperwork. Usually you can change your own oil as long as you keep records.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:16 PM   #5
LETHAL2SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
You also mention the 5k oil change like it's too often because they are insisting every 5k?

New engine shouldn't be leaking, if they just replaced it and there is a leak, whether warranty is involved or not, they need to be accountable.

As for the bolts missing, if the vehicle is under warranty, let's say something happens with the transmission and you take it somewhere else for a warranty repair, I can almost promise they'll fight you on it because the bolts are out, which would show "improper installation" to any technician that's worth a shit. if the dealer isnt willing to help, call chevy corp. and start a complaint about the repair, as long as this is a chevy corp. warranty, they'll want to know if a repair wasn't done properly
2010 Camaro 2SS-Mods: Nightfury cam, CNC ported LS3 heads, CNC ported TB, Ported Intake, RX Catch Can, MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mantic 9000 Clutch, TSP 1 7/8 headers, catless NPP, BMR trailing arms, MMR Z/28 Reps 20" gloss black. SOLD

2011 Red Jewel Tintcoat 2SS-Mods: Edlebrock E Force S/C w/ 3" pulley swap,Texas Speed roller Boost Cam 227/235, 641"/649", 114 LSA, PRC Ported Heads, Ported TB,ARH 1 7/8 headers, McLeod RST twin disk 1000 hp clutch, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 620whp
LETHAL2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:04 PM   #6
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
The 3.6L fits a lot of vehicles. They slap the most common pan on the crate engine. It may require replacing it with the pan from the old engine or a new one. I have had to change oil pans on about 30% of the engines GM has sent me. Bolts missing from the torque converter housing is not good. They should order new ones and put them in. The Front cover is supplied with the engine. The warranty does not increase when a component is replaced under warranty, so I would definitely have them repair the oil leak if it's still under warranty. If not, take it to wherever you want.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:30 PM   #7
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
How could the oil pan possibly be the wrong one with you driving it for 13k miles and 7 months. A wrong oil pan would be it not fitting a specific configuration. Sump to the front or sump to the rear. You find that out under the shade tree at first install. Not months later.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:24 AM   #8
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1660 View Post
How could the oil pan possibly be the wrong one with you driving it for 13k miles and 7 months. A wrong oil pan would be it not fitting a specific configuration. Sump to the front or sump to the rear. You find that out under the shade tree at first install. Not months later.
You're right, the installing mechanic should have caught the oil pan on install. However a different oil pan does not necessarily mean completely different. Some have holes for an oil level sensor and some do not. It could have been something similar to that.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:59 AM   #9
captaincog

Thanks all. The dealer has ordered the oil pan and then will fix the oil leak then since this engine has a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty. It is going to be another week to get the parts according to the dealer. I do have a nice 6th gen loaner to drive from them so I will enjoy it.