Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 08-21-2010, 11:09 AM   #15
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by intense1 View Post
OK did my first oil change, used Pennzoil Platinum and a Mobil 1 filter. Put the car up on rhino ramps drained the oil, removed the oil filter, so far everything is going well. Installed new filter tightened everything, poured the first 5qt's of oil from the jug, then poured another 3 from the other jug making sure I left 2qts behind. Started the car lowered it off the ramps, checked the dipstick(which sucks by the way) and I was hair over the hash marks. I decided to go for a drive let it warm up move the oil around. While driving I noticed that the oil pressure gauge is slightly higher than normal, it used to be at the mid point between 0-30, now its just 2 needles over that mark. Also I don't know what the normal oil temps were before, I was hoovering around 200-215. I get home pop the hood and check the dipstick a couple of times, and I'm still just above the hash marks. What should I do, I don't want to damage anything. I need suggestions, this will bother me all night...

Old 08-21-2010, 12:15 PM   #16
intense1

Drives: 2011 2SS m6
How is this a repost if I just changed my oil for the first time?

Anyway it's done I just drained all the oil but left in the filter. It worked out fine I'm just over the middle dot in the hash, and much happier now. I have to say the oil I drained that was only 15 hours old with 10 miles on it was a lot darker than expected...
Old 08-21-2010, 12:20 PM   #17
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by nards444 View Post
WTH are you talking about? Maybe he's been

Quote:

Anyway it's done I just drained all the oil but left in the filter. It worked out fine I'm just over the middle dot in the hash, and much happier now. I have to say the oil I drained that was only 15 hours old with 10 miles on it was a lot darker than expected...
Cool, glad you got it all taken care of.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:31 AM   #18
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
more of less meant this subject has been beat to death
Old 08-23-2010, 10:53 AM   #19
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:

This is odd to me. Why didn't you just drain a cup or so out. The oil in the crankcase was fresh right?
Old 08-23-2010, 06:25 PM   #20
intense1

Drives: 2011 2SS m6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
This is odd to me. Why didn't you just drain a cup or so out. The oil in the crankcase was fresh right?
Well I was wasn't sure how easy it would be to just loosen the bolt and drain some out. When I did the oil change initially I started by loosening the bolt slowly, then loosening some more but nothing was coming out so I kept going, next thing I know the bolt is out and here comes the oil. So I figured when trying to adjust for putting to much, it would be a lot easier to drain. I also measured what I drained to see how much extra I ended up putting. What I could have done was just remove the oil filter drain it, clean it and put it back that would have probably been good for a half a quart maybe more.

I mentioned in a post that the new oil only a day old was quite dark for only a few miles, well I believe that's the residual oil that must have been left behind that caused me to be over in the first place. It was a dumb mistake, but one that I can learn from, it did cost me an extra $27, but nothing compared to what it would have cost me if I damaged the engine in any way...
Old 08-23-2010, 11:42 PM   #21
Tarl

Drives: Rally Yellow/black -2010 Camaro
Well as long as you're happy now, that's all that matters. I did the same thing as you, drained the oil with the car on the ramps. It prob leaves about 1/4 of a quart in the pan.

I put my 6qts in and I was at the top hash mark....so in my mind, overfull. Not by much thou. I just drained out a few ounces, now I'm happy and I'm gonna put another few thousand miles on it with this Mobil 1.
Tarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:41 AM   #22
jmaryt

Drives: 2010 cgm LS
Quote:
OK did my first oil change, used Pennzoil Platinum and a Mobil 1 filter. Put the car up on rhino ramps drained the oil, removed the oil filter, so far everything is going well. Installed new filter tightened everything, poured the first 5qt's of oil from the jug, then poured another 3 from the other jug making sure I left 2qts behind. Started the car lowered it off the ramps, checked the dipstick(which sucks by the way) and I was hair over the hash marks. I decided to go for a drive let it warm up move the oil around. While driving I noticed that the oil pressure gauge is slightly higher than normal, it used to be at the mid point between 0-30, now its just 2 needles over that mark. Also I don't know what the normal oil temps were before, I was hoovering around 200-215. I get home pop the hood and check the dipstick a couple of times, and I'm still just above the hash marks. What should I do, I don't want to damage anything. I need suggestions, this will bother me all night...
as unbelievable as this sounds,the oil pressure gauge is only good for one thing!..to detect a sudden drop,or rise in oil pressure indicating a problem,so you can shut it down before damage can occur!..if the (p.s.i.) varies from time to time ,but DOESN'T swing wildly in one direction,or the other,then DO NOT worry about it because different atmosphere temperatures will vary the readings!..just make sure the oil level is "normal"..remember the "best" oil temperature gauge is the one between your ears,by checking,and keeping the oil at the correct level!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:45 PM   #23
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Fresh oil will have a little higher pressure than old oil. Old oil is contaminated with fuel, combustion byproducts, and condensation = thinned out.

If your now half way on the hash marks, your half a qt low.

8qts, changed right, will put it perfectly at the top of the hash marks.

Car needs to be level when draining the oil, either raise the back or lower the front while it drains.

When you were just above the hash marks, not a problem. If that happens to anyone else, just leave it, it's fine. You just don't want to be a full qt over. The hash marks are one quart. If you are ever over the top of the hash marks, by the same distance as the hash marks - time to pop the drain plug out for 7/10ths of a second and you should be dandy.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:51 PM   #24
joerod97
Chevy Man

Drives: 2010 2ss -black/black
just leave it, it will be fine
joerod97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:00 PM   #25
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Fresh oil will have a little higher pressure than old oil. Old oil is contaminated with fuel, combustion byproducts, and condensation = thinned out.

If your now half way on the hash marks, your half a qt low.

8qts, changed right, will put it perfectly at the top of the hash marks.

Car needs to be level when draining the oil, either raise the back or lower the front while it drains.

When you were just above the hash marks, not a problem. If that happens to anyone else, just leave it, it's fine. You just don't want to be a full qt over. The hash marks are one quart. If you are ever over the top of the hash marks, by the same distance as the hash marks - time to pop the drain plug out for 7/10ths of a second and you should be dandy.
Yeah what he said... It takes a lot of extra oil to cause problems - the crank would need to "whip" the oil causing air bubbles for there to be A problem.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:33 AM   #26
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarl View Post
Well as long as you're happy now, that's all that matters. I did the same thing as you, drained the oil with the car on the ramps. It prob leaves about 1/4 of a quart in the pan.

I put my 6qts in and I was at the top hash mark....so in my mind, overfull. Not by much thou. I just drained out a few ounces, now I'm happy and I'm gonna put another few thousand miles on it with this Mobil 1.

The top hash mark is where you want to be... you didn't need to remove any

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:33 PM   #27
my2SSRS

Drives: 2015 ZL1, M6, Crystal red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishdadddy View Post
I have never seen oil sold in 5 quart jugs????? What the????
WOW where you been?? Go to walmart, napa, orielly..just to name a few.. there nice..plus a place to put your old oil to take to the recyle center!!!