Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-04-2010, 12:05 PM   #1
IROCZANE

Drives: 2011 SS
Buy new Camaro out of state, drive it back home cross country... Is it feasable?

Hello all,

I"m looking to purchase a new 2011 Camaro SS this summer...

Aside from the sheer joy of buying my first "new" car I wanted to make the event even more memorable by taking the maiden voyage cross country.

I live in Ohio and I was thinking I could buy a one-way ticket out to CA, AZ (or some other location out west) and take my time driving my new SS back to the heartland...

So after putting more serious thought into my "dream drive" (considering taxes to pay in the purchasing state, registration, pickup logistics, etc.)...
I was wondering if anyone else out there has done something similar and would have any advice, recommendations they could offer up.

Thanks much.
IROCZANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
nusong

Drives: 2010 2LT RJT Auto - Camaro/2004 Sub
I did not go as far as the west coast, but I did purchase my Camaro out of state - in Georgia - only about a 5 hour drive from where I live.

No problem at all with ordering, purchasing, registration, etc. In fact I was able to pay the tax here in NC and not GA, as well as the registration. I'm not sure how that might apply in other states.

I guess I would not personally want to go as far as the west coast to drive the maiden voyage.....................just in case there would be any unforeseen problems with the car on such a drive.
nusong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
BATOUTOFHELL
MY2BABY

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs RJT
I actually did that kinda. Not quite as far as you're doing but car i wanted had got sold out from underneath me back in October so I found one on the internet(everyone close by that had the car I wanted were asking 3,000 to 7,000 over sticker) from the dealer Megel Chevy in Dawsonville, Ga. Flew out there and drove my car back to Oklahoma. It was a great trip. Made some stops along the way, bought some new cd's , raced a Ford lightning p/u on I-20 and just had fun driving my car and talking to people all along the way admiring the camaro. Highly reccomend it. Except for the mileage you put on the car, it was GREAT.
BATOUTOFHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:16 PM   #4
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
There have been a few on here to do this, although I don't think it was as much for the drive as it was to find a better deal on one. There are several dealers closer to you, that are on here, and offer the lowest price possible. Personally, i'd pick something closer than 3/4 across the country, but that's entirely up to you. Maybe a east coast dealer so you could cruise the coast for a bit.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
brtaus

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by nusong View Post
No problem at all with ordering, purchasing, registration, etc. In fact I was able to pay the tax here in NC and not GA, as well as the registration. I'm not sure how that might apply in other states.
That is the case here in AZ. I purchased a motorcycle in NM, didn't pay any taxes or registration there. When I registered it in AZ, then I had to pay tax, etc.
brtaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:18 PM   #6
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
Buy it in a state where there are no sales taxes (Oregon?). I don't know if you would have to pay your taxes locally when it came time to register it, but investigate what you need to do in order to avoid paying taxes twice on it!

Best regardSS,

Elie

Last edited by garfin; 02-04-2010 at 03:32 PM.
garfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:18 PM   #7
mulehead7
stubborn as a ...

Drives: '94 Trans Am
Buy one from Becky D in Mich. or Camaro Scotty in Wisc. Both are close to Ohio and with the money you save you can drive the whole US for free. No taxes for out of state purchasers, usually.

mulehead7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:25 PM   #8
B Gizzle

Drives: Silver Bullet
Send a message via Yahoo to B Gizzle
I bought mine in Texas and drove it back to Colorado. It was the funest road trip i have ever been on!!!!!
B Gizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:29 PM   #9
FANTA-Z

Drives: 2010 SSRS
I bought mine in Illinois (East St. Louis) and trailered her home
FANTA-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:38 PM   #10
Kalenn
Fan of all things Camaro

Drives: '13 Mercedes-Benz C250 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfin View Post
Buy it in a state where there are no sales taxes (Oregon?). I don't know if you would have to pay your taxes locally when it came to register it, but investigate what you need to do inorder to avoid paying taxes twice on it!

Best regardSS,

Elie
It's true. There is no sales tax in Oregon. However, that being said, there are LOTS of dealers who still think the Camaro commands a premium sticker. For example... Power Chevrolet in Stayton has a 2SS on the lot for 51k.

I would contact CamaroScotty, Rockmont, little_bank_robber, BeckyD and talk with any of these fine folks. They are closer to you and would still give you a pretty decent road trip.

I've driven from Mississippi back to Oregon twice. Once was because my wife needed to move a bunch of stuff back here. The second time was because a bunch of nutjobs decided to fly jets into buildings in New York. The second time sucked.

"E for electricity... V For Chevy Volt and me!"
Kalenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:43 PM   #11
AnnaBear@SpartaChevy

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS Manual Synergy Grn
Send a message via Yahoo to AnnaBear@SpartaChevy
I've had customers fly in from as far away as TX to MI and drive back home.

Works out GREAT!!

Many have come from OH (four I think) to buy from me because I honor all GM discounts and rebates. I guess that isn't so popular in Ohio for some reason...
AnnaBear@SpartaChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:53 PM   #12
SDCamaro10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCZANE View Post
Hello all,

So after putting more serious thought into my "dream drive" (considering taxes to pay in the purchasing state, registration, pickup logistics, etc.)...
I was wondering if anyone else out there has done something similar and would have any advice, recommendations they could offer up.
I bought my Camaro in Libertyville, Illinois (close to Wisconsin) for a very good price back in October. When i bought it, i had been temporarily living there, and i drove it back to San Diego. The ride was very smooth and very enjoyable and had no problems at all, other then the fact that it was like a 32 hour drive.

I didnt pay the sales tax in Illinois because i was going to have it registered in California. Bad thing is, Californias sales tax is kinda steep. Mine was like 3,000 bucks and then had to pay the registration fees etc. If you buy it out of state, before you sign the papers and stuff, MAKE SURE that the emissions states CA, or *50* state emissions. Other wise you wont be able to register it because of smog certification, if you are in California. Hope this kinda helps out a little bit.
SDCamaro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:55 PM   #13
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Placed the order in Wilmington DE, planning on buyin a one way ticket later in the month and driving her back.

Good excuse to break her in

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:19 PM   #14
Seneca SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS --
thats a great way to break it in--our plans this summer are to drive to Norfolk, Va for our best friends sons wedding--4500 miles round trip--i like road trips
Seneca SS is offline   Reply With Quote