Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 02-22-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
ahart04
most bang for your buck

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS CGM/BLK RALLYS
I've a question for our police officers..

ok so last night I got my 3rd speeding ticket since September. 52 in a 40 on clear, dry, and no traffic.

I passed him going the opposite way, but it wasn't until a good minute and a half later until he came hauling ass down the road with his lights on. I actually thought it was an ambulance, so I pulled over probably a quarter of a mile ahead of him before he stopped behind me. I was, just as I have been all 3 times, polite, courteous, and cooperative. He promptly wrote me a ticket and sent me on my way..

I have read many threads here where several officers have said attitude accounts for most issued citations vs warnings. I feel that being 23, and having this car, although I work my ass off tirelessly for it, lands me in a situation where I will always get a ticket. I feel a level of resentment in these officers when the pull me over. I feel as though
they must think I'm some spoiled kid who's daddy bought my car and can thusly pay for the tickets.

Here's my question: do you think it would ever help me to ask an officer for some leniency?

I'm just really upset that no matter how polite or cooperative I am, there's never a break. And technically I would be fine with that, because I am, after all, speeding, but I don't feel as though it's fair when I have heard of SO many instances where ppl are warned and released.

I'm not even sure anymore if this is a thread asking a question or just me venting my frustration at what I feel is me being prejudiced over the car I drive. Sigh.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:22 AM   #2
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
In before: "you broke the law why do you deserve a break comments"
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:24 AM   #3
RickyTheStorm

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS,04 Colorado,06 ZX6R
Last time I asked for leniency I got laughed at. Basically slow down. 52 in a 40 is pretty hefty. Just remember, you are driving a cop magnet, but you have been driving an old beater and probably gotten pulled over for that speed.

Being nice, honest, and respectful to the officer is always the best bet, but sometimes they don't care.

Just my opinion.

IOM - 2SS/RS - Auto - IAP - Sunroof - Ordered 10/13 (#7 at dealer)
3000(accepted to production ): 4/19/09
3300 (scheduled for prod ): 5/11/09
3400 (broadcast ): 5/16/09
3800 (produced ): 5/22/09
4150 (invoiced ): 6/01/09
4200 (shipped ): 6/01/09
5000 (at dealer ): 6/12/09
6000 (delivery to me ): 6/12/09
RickyTheStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:24 AM   #4
xBlackout_Camaro

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS Cyber Grey
Police LOVE camaros
xBlackout_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:25 AM   #5
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I have been in exactly the opposite situation. Having been stuck in a beater wagon with parts falling off, I know what it is like to be ignored. For some reason, an ugly wagon tearing down the street is not worthy of attention, but the sports car the wagon just passed is worthy of getting ticketed. At the end of the day, it is the officer who decides who gets pulled over, and the guy in the fast, expensive car is a much more desirable target than someone who drives a beater. A lot of officers honestly go after the guy they see going fast. You did break the law. That doesn't meant that the law or the officer is right.

I would start contacting your elected officials about the possibility of raising the speed limit.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:29 AM   #6
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahart04 View Post
I got my 3rd speeding ticket since September.
I think this pretty much answers your question......
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:33 AM   #7
Badger

Drives: 2010 ABM SS #14 of 2,027
Well..you get more flies with Honey than you do vinegar...but sometimes you just can't win...and you did admit to us that you indeed were speeding so...all I can say is start being more conscious of the speed signs and know that your car sticks out more than others....good luck in court. I can only hope this doesn't turn into another Cop bashing thread.

-- Constitutional scholar and Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:34 AM   #8
biojack

Drives: 1LT/RS,MRTv2, Injen
if you follow the speed limits, then it is irrelevant how polite and cooperative you are. Don't give them a reason to pull you over.
biojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:36 AM   #9
irocnroll

Drives: '91 RS Vert, '11 Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
I think this pretty much answers your question......

If you keep getting pulled over for speeding, how do you expect them to let you off. As soon as they pull your record and see that you aren't learning you are going to get whacked with another fine. I wouldn't be surprised if they issued a summons to court pretty soon. Just because you have a hot car doesn't mean you need to drive like a fool.
irocnroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:37 AM   #10
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by biojack View Post
if you follow the speed limits, then it is irrelevant how polite and cooperative you are. Don't give them a reason to pull you over.
Just to provoke discussion, I'll go ahead and point out that this assumes that there is good reason for the speed limits. Speed limits are set by the governments that we elect to serve us. These guys are administrators, and they operate under the premise of getting reelected. In order to get reelected, they try to be safe by being "tough on crime" and improving safety standards. For many of them, it is safe for their profession to reduce speed limits. This begs a very important question. Are low speed limits inherently safe?
Old 02-22-2010, 11:39 AM   #11
iBK3000

Drives: '04 Range Rover, Camaro 2SS 6MT
slow down.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:40 AM   #12
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Just to provoke discussion, I'll go ahead and point out that this assumes that there is good reason for the speed limits. Speed limits are set by the governments that we elect to serve us. These guys are administrators, and they operate under the premise of getting reelected. In order to get reelected, they try to be safe by being "tough on crime" and improving safety standards. For many of them, it is safe for their profession to reduce speed limits. This begs a very important question. Are low speed limits inherently safe?
Oh Blur you silly goose
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:43 AM   #13
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTSquared View Post
Oh Blur you silly goose
I couldn't help it. I don't believe people drive more safely at lower speeds than they do on the highway. People are more likely to check their blind spots, use their blinkers, and drive the speed limit when it is fast and they feel that they will die if they don't.

If you disagree, is it possible that you don't belong in a fast car like the Camaro?
Old 02-22-2010, 11:43 AM   #14
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahart04 View Post
ok so last night I got my 3rd speeding ticket since September. 52 in a 40 on clear, dry, and no traffic.

I passed him going the opposite way, but it wasn't until a good minute and a half later until he came hauling ass down the road with his lights on. I actually thought it was an ambulance, so I pulled over probably a quarter of a mile ahead of him before he stopped behind me. I was, just as I have been all 3 times, polite, courteous, and cooperative. He promptly wrote me a ticket and sent me on my way..

I have read many threads here where several officers have said attitude accounts for most issued citations vs warnings. I feel that being 23, and having this car, although I work my ass off tirelessly for it, lands me in a situation where I will always get a ticket. I feel a level of resentment in these officers when the pull me over. I feel as though
they must think I'm some spoiled kid who's daddy bought my car and can thusly pay for the tickets.

Here's my question: do you think it would ever help me to ask an officer for some leniency?

I'm just really upset that no matter how polite or cooperative I am, there's never a break. And technically I would be fine with that, because I am, after all, speeding, but I don't feel as though it's fair when I have heard of SO many instances where ppl are warned and released.

I'm not even sure anymore if this is a thread asking a question or just me venting my frustration at what I feel is me being prejudiced over the car I drive. Sigh.
As an officer, I think 52 in a 40 is kind weak. I mean, I would probably stop you for it. Epsecially if I have it on radar. But if nothing else came up, I would most likely not cite.

Here in SJ it's pretty much an unwritten rule to only cite/stop people for going 13 mph or more.

Maybe the officer that stopped you was a highway patrol of some sort. They are much more inclined to stop speeders.

But don't ask for leniency from an officer when stopped though. And it is hard for us to accept someone as being genuinely appologetic after they intentionally committed a vc/pc/etc.... violation that they would not feel sorry for if they did not get caught.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote