Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-25-2015, 12:18 PM   #43
mar10

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_cowboy View Post
Since when are you forced to drive in the hammer lane? Only time I can think of is lane closures and obviously normal speed limits don't apply then. If you're not comfortable driving the speed limit, stay home or take a bus.
So if there are 2 lanes speed limit is 65. I'm driving along at 60 for whatever reason maybe the roads damp and I'm on drag radials. I come up on an elderly person that is driving 55-58. It would be illegal to pass them at 65.

Or s person is driving 5 under and approaches a busy on ramp with an endless line of traffic. They don't want to speed up the 5 mph for whatever reason. Should they have to stop and wait for the line of traffic to clear or be forced to merge into slower traffic?

Or an example of what happens out here all the time. Speed limit is 75mph on I 10 and in the open desert is mostly 2 lanes each direction. There are steep mountain inclines that semi trucks have trouble going up. It's not uncommon to see one trying to go up one of those hills at 35 mph. The semi's need to maintain their momentum to go up the hill. There are often times when a semi has to pass another going up those hills even if neither of them can maintain the speed limit of 75.

Or say you are in the left lane cruising over the speed limit by a little. You notice a cop so you hit the brakes and slow down. He doesn't clock you going over the speed limit but under by 3 miles an hour. With this law he would now have enough probable cause to stop, detain and cite you with a moving violation (that may affect your insurance) even though he didn't catch you speeding. Does that sound right?

Don't get me wrong I really hate slow drivers that get in the way. The only time I'll be seen under the speed limit in the left lane is because someone is there in front of me going slow. But I am against bs bureaucratic laws that are not needed. The existing law of keeping right except to pass would already fix the issue if only it were consistently enforced. The law would not last long once challenged in court and is a waste of time and money by even being considered.
Stainless Power Longtube headers, off road mids, stock H pipe, flowmaster mufflers, Vararam tune model intake, NightFury cam, and 91 octane email tune from Dynosteve @ rdpmotorsport.com. 473 rwhp and 430 ft. Lbs. @3,235 ft elevation.
mar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 02:56 PM   #44
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
I doubt these laws would apply in inclement weather or on mountain grades... at least it shouldn't.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:06 PM   #45
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
I wish the highways in MA had enough capacity to make left lane travel only when passing an option. It's just another travel lane here, as is the breakdown lane in many areas, during rush hour.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:57 PM   #46
mar10

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_cowboy View Post
I doubt these laws would apply in inclement weather or on mountain grades... at least it shouldn't.
My main point is that it isn't necessary especially if they enforce current law. It's just another excuse / reason to pull someone over.
Stainless Power Longtube headers, off road mids, stock H pipe, flowmaster mufflers, Vararam tune model intake, NightFury cam, and 91 octane email tune from Dynosteve @ rdpmotorsport.com. 473 rwhp and 430 ft. Lbs. @3,235 ft elevation.
mar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:46 AM   #47
AITI
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 LFX Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1chris View Post
Omg I wish Florida had that law. Can't stand it when people are going 5mph under the limit in the far left lane.
Florida has that law on the Interstates, but rarely enforced. If you see the signs "slower traffic keep right" it is covered in the statutes but needs to be re-written. So many accidents are caused by the stubborn ignorant that hog the left lane disrupting the flow of traffic and then faster traffic has to slow and make dangerous lane changes. EVERY State should have the Washington law IMHO!!
AITI is offline   Reply With Quote