Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 03-27-2017, 07:17 PM   #1
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Power locks died!

My power locks are dead Actually, they are intermittent. They will randomly work for no reason and then stop again. Not working with fob, with buttons, or when put into drive/park.

Only thing I can think of is last night I went to one of those self-service car washes. The kind with the pressure washer type sprayer and foam brush, etc. and maybe I got water where water should not have gone. Checked my trunk, no water at all, and my drain tubes are still connected tight (sunroof). I have yet to really troubleshoot it, as I don't know where the relay is, but I am assuming the trunk as I couldn't find it under the hood fuse box or the interior driver side fuses.

Another thing I need to mention...I also have a Scosche unit for my stereo which is where my buttons are. I figured that is another thing to consider.

Anyone here have any experience with intermittent or totally dead Gen 5 door locks in the past? I would appreciate some tips if possible. It's a 2010 SS.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI

Last edited by InFiD3ViL; 03-27-2017 at 07:39 PM. Reason: More info
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:38 PM   #2
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
If you have intermittent issues, then it sounds like you have a loose wire somewhere. However, if it worked one day and then not the next and has been dead ever since it sounds like you have a fuse blown. Check your owner's manual and see where the power lock fuse is and replace the blown fuse.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:39 PM   #3
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Hopefully it's not your bcm. Good luck.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:42 PM   #4
InFiD3ViL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
Hopefully it's not your bcm. Good luck.
Uhhg. I was thinking the same thing, but was hoping nobody would mention it lol.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
Old 03-27-2017, 07:59 PM   #5
Jazzzed

Drives: 2015 Camaro LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Uhhg. I was thinking the same thing, but was hoping nobody would mention it lol.
Yeah, the thing about your problem is that all of the locks die when this occurs. That would be less likely to be a loose wire unless it happens to be the power to the BCM that is flaky. Just my opinion. Could be something with the Scosche too.
Jazzzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:41 PM   #6
InFiD3ViL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzzed View Post
Yeah, the thing about your problem is that all of the locks die when this occurs. That would be less likely to be a loose wire unless it happens to be the power to the BCM that is flaky. Just my opinion. Could be something with the Scosche too.
I don't want it to be the Scosche almost as much as the BCM.

Whoever owned the car before me did not use harnesses to install the stereo. They cut the wires super short and used those closed-end crimp connectors. So if I have to deal with that, it will be a nightmare.

Just trying to get some ideas together before I tackle this in the daylight tomorrow.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:13 PM   #7
Jazzzed

Drives: 2015 Camaro LT
Quote:
I don't want it to be the Scosche almost as much as the BCM.

Whoever owned the car before me did not use harnesses to install the stereo. They cut the wires super short and used those closed-end crimp connectors. So if I have to deal with that, it will be a nightmare.

Just trying to get some ideas together before I tackle this in the daylight tomorrow.
Ah. Well crimps could easily be the source of any intermittency. They're awful. I would start there.
Jazzzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:39 AM   #8
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Did the OP ever hear of the dealer? Look, I get it, no one wants to spend money. But for something like this, I'm willing to bet that the service department at a Chevy Dealer has come across this issue before. At least worth it to hear how much to fix it and what issue is. Then, if he wants, he can seek another opinion with his local mechanic. Door locks can be pretty important.
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:42 AM   #9
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by samman11 View Post
Did the OP ever hear of the dealer? Look, I get it, no one wants to spend money. But for something like this, I'm willing to bet that the service department at a Chevy Dealer has come across this issue before. At least worth it to hear how much to fix it and what issue is. Then, if he wants, he can seek another opinion with his local mechanic. Door locks can be pretty important.
Be careful what you say here, you may get lynched. Everyone here considers the dealership to be the anti-Christ.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:48 AM   #10
Strider044

Drives: 2015 2ss/rs Commemorative edition
Hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
Be careful what you say here, you may get lynched. Everyone here considers the dealership to be the anti-Christ.
Good luck OP. I would start with the radio also
Old 03-28-2017, 10:59 AM   #11
InFiD3ViL

Quote:
Originally Posted by samman11 View Post
Of course man, but I'm using a Scosche system control unit. It is not just a plastic double din stereo kit. This thing replaces the stock stereo's ability to control literally all aspects of the car's interior options. Every single thing your stock head unit controls is now controlled via the Scosche, including door locks. I am fairly certain this will change things dramatically, as the dealer tends to go by their service manuals for everything and wouldn't want to go near it.

I am also very handy at electrical troubleshooting and would prefer to tackle myself, although I understand CANBUS is a different animal. This only happened 1 day ago and I simply have not had any time to take a real look at it. I wanted to ask for input from the people in this forum, which is usually a trove of useful information and first hand experience. If I exhaust all FREE options, then I will head to the dealer and have the BCM and whatever else checked as needed.

And yes, door locks are very important, of course. But in the mean-time I can still go 'Old School' and push down those little manual lock nubs that are thankfully still on our doors. I just will have to use the key to unlock it for now.

But no offense taken, as I get where you are going with this and are just trying to help.

Last edited by InFiD3ViL; 03-28-2017 at 11:08 AM. Reason: content
Old 03-28-2017, 11:39 AM   #12
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Of course man, but I'm using a Scosche system control unit. It is not just a plastic double din stereo kit. This thing replaces the stock stereo's ability to control literally all aspects of the car's interior options. Every single thing your stock head unit controls is now controlled via the Scosche, including door locks. I am fairly certain this will change things dramatically, as the dealer tends to go by their service manuals for everything and wouldn't want to go near it.

I am also very handy at electrical troubleshooting and would prefer to tackle myself, although I understand CANBUS is a different animal. This only happened 1 day ago and I simply have not had any time to take a real look at it. I wanted to ask for input from the people in this forum, which is usually a trove of useful information and first hand experience. If I exhaust all FREE options, then I will head to the dealer and have the BCM and whatever else checked as needed.

And yes, door locks are very important, of course. But in the mean-time I can still go 'Old School' and push down those little manual lock nubs that are thankfully still on our doors. I just will have to use the key to unlock it for now.

But no offense taken, as I get where you are going with this and are just trying to help.
It's going to make you curse GM for not having a lock cylinder in the passenger door and trunk. If the electric is broken locking/unlocking the driver's door will not control the passenger door lock.

If I could have bought a Camaro with crank windows I would have.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:51 AM   #13
InFiD3ViL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
It's going to make you curse GM for not having a lock cylinder in the passenger door and trunk. If the electric is broken locking/unlocking the driver's door will not control the passenger door lock.

If I could have bought a Camaro with crank windows I would have.
Thankfully the trunk still works fine via remote and door button.

But you are right. I came home with food last night. Went to my passenger door to get it, of course was locked. Had to crawl across the interior and open the door, as that is the only way to unlock the passenger door. Good thing that I ride solo 99% of the time! The wife hates riding in it. She is 5'5" and the dashboard comes up to her chin!

Going to head outside in a few minutes and start figuring this out. UPS guy should be here soon with my new exhaust! Woohoo!

And yes, I will drop everything to get them new loud pipes on there!
Old 03-28-2017, 07:23 PM   #14
Fireman124

Drives: 45th convertible ss
Being a 2010 there could be a broken wire in the door jam where the wires go through the rubber boot. To check pull the boot out of either the door or A post and pull on wires individually. If one is broke you will find it.
Fireman124 is offline   Reply With Quote